Hey all,

I'm a long time BB user. I am using my upgrade to purchase a Bold 9900 tomorrow. Everyone I talk to suggest waiting for BB 10. As far as I know BB10 phones won't have a keyboard initially (which is very important to me). My question is: will RIM continue to support OS 7 (updates,apps) up to and after BB10 launch? I'm pretty comfortable going with the 9900 (I LOVE OS 7 as a get stuff done OS) now as opposed to waiting..but i'd feel a lot better knowing RIM will still have my back.

Thanks
    04-02-12 01:49 AM
    BBOS will continue on parallel to BB10.
    p51 likes this.
    04-02-12 02:02 AM
    I'll wait for BB10 if I were you. I used to think a touch screen keyboard could never be as good as a physical keyboard. In reality they are better.

The touch screen has got to be at least 3.7 (4.3 - 4.6 is the sweet spot) inches, good artificial intelligence in predicting and correcting any errors and some feedback when you hit the screen. I have a bold 9900 and a galaxy s 2 with the swiftkey keyboard and the S2 is a lot more efficient when typing; no strain on my fingers when I have typed long docs, fewer or no errors and I have the entire screen to play with when I am not typing.

During long BBM conversations, I find my self reaching for my playbook as I start to feel the strain on my fingers.
    04-02-12 02:26 AM
    I'll wait for BB10 if I were you. I used to think a touch screen keyboard could never be as good as a physical keyboard. In reality they are better.

The touch screen has got to be at least 3.7 (4.3 - 4.6 is the sweet spot) inches, good artificial intelligence in predicting and correcting any errors and some feedback when you hit the screen. I have a bold 9900 and a galaxy s 2 with the swiftkey keyboard and the S2 is a lot more efficient when typing; no strain on my fingers when I have typed long docs, fewer or no errors and I have the entire screen to play with when I am not typing.

During long BBM conversations, I find my self reaching for my playbook as I start to feel the strain on my fingers.
    Great points. I definitely notice the strain in my fingers. I'm hoping over time that fades away as my hands get used to using the keyboard.
    04-02-12 03:17 AM

I completely disagree, I have a full touch screen phone and couldn't wait to get rid, my 9810 is the fastest for me far less errors, I'll buy into BB10 only once it's proved itself with a keyboard. You prove the point when you require artificial intelligence to correct your typing errors. Maybe its good in theory, not so for me in practice, but then I am old.
    Last edited by daveycrocket; 04-02-12 at 03:31 AM.
    04-02-12 03:28 AM
    get the 9900. you will get used to the great keyboard.

the 9700/90 keyboard works flawless for me since I have been using it for soo long.

and your right. the first bb10 phone won't be a keyboard version.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    04-02-12 03:32 AM
    I too had the same doubt. But I went ahead and got the 9900. I would not buy the first bb10 phone. I will wait for a major update within a year of release. Then buy it based on feedback.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-02-12 04:46 AM
    It will remain with bb10 but will die out pretty soon.

Don't worry. Apps may be a small problem.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.342 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    04-02-12 05:28 AM
    I too had the same doubt. But I went ahead and got the 9900. I would not buy the first bb10 phone. I will wait for a major update within a year of release. Then buy it based on feedback.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

I agree something like playbook and then buying it after os2.0

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.342 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    04-02-12 05:28 AM
    "strain on your fingers" LOLOLOL

Sometimes blinking too much makes my eyes hurt

Physical keyboards have a nice tactile quality that you don't get from a screen. It's an instrument for typing.

Opening and closing the keyboard repeatedly can be annoying as you switch between applications or text boxes
    daveycrocket likes this.
    04-02-12 06:09 AM
    "strain on your fingers" LOLOLOL

Sometimes blinking too much makes my eyes hurt

Physical keyboards have a nice tactile quality that you don't get from a screen. It's an instrument for typing.

Opening and closing the keyboard repeatedly can be annoying as you switch between applications or text boxes
    priceless absolutly priceless
    04-02-12 06:20 AM
    Although you could say that a portrait keyboard would be anoying as it would cover your eye (if righthanded) when answering the phone.
    04-02-12 06:27 AM
    On the other hand can you imagine a world where 9900 is low end? It will sell like hotcakes
    04-02-12 06:37 AM
    Remember I mentioned specific instances where the touch screen keyboard will be better. Just like you can have crappy physical keyboard, you can also have crappy touch screen ones.
    Get with the flow guys, i can see just like RIM a lot of you guys are struggling to. I have seen the future and it is one with no physical keys.... Get touchy
    04-02-12 07:37 AM
    I'm sort of in the same boat. I've been seriously looking at changing my plan (and paying a penalty to do so) in order to equip my work force with BB's.

Before I continue maybe I can use this opportunity to ask a question to ALL (seeing that not only BB users frequent this forum)... This goes to the purpose that I want to get BB's for my company. I'm going to need 6 to start and I might need to go up to 8 or 10 in the future. So you see it's a small company. Presently I am using the iden (MIKE) network but recent changes within my company means I need something that will let me send and receive pictures. I have 2 BB's and 2 PB's and as I'm sure you all know, the iden network is like the stone age network. With 3G and 4G and now LTE available, it makes sense for me to change.

However...(Question) is there any other phones or platforms that allow you to send/receive pictures to one another like BBM does FOR FREE? (it is Free...right?). I know LTE is faster than 4G (right?) but even 3G phones will be lightning faster than what I have so speed is not the issue. The issue is data usage. It IS free to send pictures via BBM to BBM...right? Is there something out there that does the same or is it always sent via your data plan? (as you can see, I do NOT use BBM that much....lol). Even though I might not take a lot of pictures at the beginning, the ability to communicate and send each other files via BBM just makes sense. However, I have no clue if there is something else out there that is similar to BBM?

Sorry for the "off topic" question but I thought I'd take the opportunity.

Which brings me back on topic. For me I would LOVE to wait for BB10 just because I think they'll be a surprise to the world. Waiting a few months after release might also be an option. But I need to look for alternatives to what I've got now and if I go ahead and equip my employees with BB7's I might have to wait until my contract is up in order to get BB10's.

The other thing I think I'll see is a push to get new customers to buy the BB7's in the next couple of weeks / months so maybe the time to get a great deal is now?

Of course if the media keeps slamming RIM and feeding the world with "NEWS MAKING" reporting (instead of "NEWS REPORTING" reporting) then will we even have a choice?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'll research any suggestions...
    Last edited by Injection Classique; 04-02-12 at 07:43 AM.
    04-02-12 07:38 AM
    Remember I mentioned specific instances where the touch screen keyboard will be better. Just like you can have crappy physical keyboard, you can also have crappy touch screen ones.
    Get with the flow guys, i can see just like RIM a lot of you guys are struggling to. I have seen the future and it is one with no physical keys.... Get touchy
    little bumpy keys are far more sexy than a flat piece of glass or plastic, for touchy feely think physical.
    04-02-12 02:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD