It is over. Unless third parties step forward and want to manufacture phones and sell them under the blackberry name, they are out of the device business.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 02:58 PM
    BB10 is over.... NO developer will make a BB10 phone.

It's sad....but there it is.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 03:08 PM
    It is over. Unless third parties step forward and want to manufacture phones and sell them under the blackberry name, they are out of the device business.

Posted via CB10
    Isnt that what they are doing currently with the recent DTEK50 and upcoming DTEK60?
    Why does everyone keep saying its over and no more blackberry's when they clearly stated they are outsourcing?
    Making no more blackberry 10 would be the right argument here.
    09-29-16 03:19 PM
    Chance of BB10 device: zero

Chance of a BlackBerry-designed Android pkb device (after small chance of Mercury release): zero

Market size of pkb users in 3 years from now: 14

After that, a slab is a slab. Better someone else with huge economies of scale make them anyway.

Focus on software.
    JeepBB, cgk and bakron1 like this.
    09-29-16 03:24 PM
    The future is now finally clear..After 10+ years with bb and my trusty Z30,, love this device.but will make the move away from this bb to IPhone. Will get a 6S+. Thanks, sadly saying goodbye to my bb.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 03:28 PM
    Thats what we all think, but what I really want is an official statement from Blackberry, one way or the other.
    Keep waiting, it will come when they announce the EOL of BBOS.

Why would BlackBerry announce the EOL of BB10? Also, considering all the press they did yesterday and they did not mention BB10 once should be enough of a statement. At lease the best one you will get from BlackBerry on the future of BB10.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-29-16 03:29 PM
    The rate at which the vlsi industry is progressing, imo, this question wud b rendered irrelevant in 5 years.
    V won't be having "phones" by then but just a handheld system.
    The Chinese/ other emerging markets wud just b churning out cheap handhelds & we will get kits to get the system of our choice installed on it.
    Blackberry wud b doing complete the security solutions.
    Just let intel come up with the 5g processor.
    Hav look at the very primitive stages of the concept -

http://www.geeksphone.com

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-29-16 04:22 PM
    The rate at which the vlsi industry is progressing, imo, this question wud b rendered irrelevant in 5 years.
    V won't be having "phones" by then but just a handheld system.
    The Chinese/ other emerging markets wud just b churning out cheap handhelds & we will get kits to get the system of our choice installed on it.
    Blackberry wud b doing complete the security solutions.
    Just let intel come up with the 5g processor.
    Hav look at the very primitive stages of the concept -

Join us leading the mobile revolution

I havent understood a word of what you just said...
    lushpinkgirl likes this.
    09-29-16 04:33 PM
    The question of blackberry making a phone after 5 years from now is illogical.
    There r enuff well supported operating systems to take us well into the future.
    I feel, in 5 years the whole desktop/ laptop / smartphone/ other work / entertainment related gadges wud hav merged into an all in 1 handheld computer.
    That computer hardware wud b made quite cheaply, and v will get a choice out of a few operating systems to get installed on it.
    Blackberry wud be using bb10 on some "parts" of a large thing called IoT & providing security.
    Intel is designing a chip for this whole new experience it calles it the 5g chip.

09-29-16 04:39 PM
    I havent understood a word of what you just said...
    His answer was "no".
    09-29-16 04:39 PM
    The webkit that the browser is based on is not updated anymore. Browsing will only get more difficult as the web evolves. Security patches are few and far between. The installed battery will not last forever. I hope that you did not buy that Passport hoping to be able to use it for a few years. I'm not saying it was a bad purchase, only the individual can determine what is best for himself, as long as expectations are reasonable.
    Yes, I agree with you, but at the same time, I can say I've been using my Z30 a couple of years now, and when I bought it, it was already kind of an "old" device. If it wasn't for the tempting offer, I really don't have any real need for replacing it. Even the battery is still working like day one. To be honest, if someone tells me that an almost 3 years old phone would work like this one does, I wouldn't believe him.

About the Passport, I have no expectations at all. I just couldn't resist myself. Time will tell if it was a wise decision.

09-29-16 04:42 PM
    His answer was "no".
    Yes, NO is the simplest answer for OP, imho.

09-29-16 04:47 PM
    Yes, I agree with you, but at the same time, I can say I've been using my Z30 a couple of years now, and when I bought it, it was already kind of an "old" device. If it wasn't for the tempting offer, I really don't have any real need for replacing it. Even the battery is still working like day one. To be honest, if someone tells me that an almost 3 years old phone would work like this one does, I wouldn't believe him.

About the Passport, I have no expectations at all. I just couldn't resist myself. Time will tell if it was a wise decision.

The average lithium ion battery should last 5 years with proper charging conditions.
    09-29-16 04:50 PM
    Honestly, from all what I have seen now and in the recent years, sadly I think the name BlackBerry will disappear entirely from the smartphone world at some point not too far in time.

There is already a generation that doesn't know what a Blackberry is, or it is known as something old people used. Let alone probably ever having seen a physical keyboard!

No, once Blackberry is gone it is GONE. You don't see them making Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs again, even after the economy recovered.

That is why this is a Canadian tragedy, and I don't think those from other countries can truly appreciate this! Another blow to our economy when those jobs are lost, not to mention the oil industry and now people can't afford to feed their families or meet their mortgage payments in Alberta!

Yeah I know, just forget blackberry and not give a ****, is the general attitude by most, but some of us take this personally and have great respect for OUR products and what Canadian tech has accomplished!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 09-29-16 at 05:27 PM.
    bakron1 and anon(3641385) like this.
    09-29-16 05:13 PM
    The average lithium ion battery should last 5 years with proper charging conditions.
    I used to like reading about lithium ion batteries and some claim that these batteries are more affected by time rather than useage. Some say 25% depletion per year which if true means that most people won't put up with a 50% reduction of charge in 2 years.

Then there was my 9780 and the original battery was pretty strong until it was 5 years old.

Strange thing is all the other newer "spare" batteries I bought all went bad, either lost charge holding ability or case "swelling" but that original held until I gave the 9780 to a friend a couple months ago, still going strong.

So who knows.

09-29-16 05:16 PM
    Palm will make a smartphone before BlackBerry makes another.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-29-16 05:17 PM
    There is already a generation that doesn't know what a Blackberry is, or it is known as something old people used. Let alone probably ever having seen a physical keyboard!

No, once Blackberry is gone it is GONE. You don't see them making Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs again, even after the economy recovered.

That is why this is a Canadian tragedy, and I don't think those from other countries can truly appreciate this! Another blow to our economy when those jobs are lost, not to mention the oil industry and now people can't afford to feed their families or meet their mortgage payments in Alberta!

Yeah I know, just forget blackberry and not give a ****, is the general attitude by most, but some of us take this personally and have great respect for OUR products and what Canadian tech has accomplished!

Canadians are strong people and will find new technologies and new jobs. It isn't easy but you can't depend on companies to survive forever.
    09-29-16 05:34 PM
    At least BB as a company seems to have survived. To me that means there's a chance of BB10 devices in the future even if it's a very slim chance. Markets change a niche opportunity might come up. It's not unheard of as Nokia is planning a comeback of sorts. The roll out of Tizen OS seems to be working so far. There's plenty of rumours of a MS comeback with a surface phone too. Think we can all agree that having two dominant OS's doesn't offer much consumer choice.
    09-29-16 05:35 PM
    Canadians are strong people and will find new technologies and new jobs. It isn't easy but you can't depend on companies to survive forever.
    Thank you. But it's still a deep tragedy. Economy is slowed down pretty badly, potash is down oil is nothing now, it still hits a country. When the US economy crashed the Canadian one was still strong but now we're the ones in the bad situation.
    09-29-16 05:36 PM
    Thank you. But it's still a deep tragedy. Economy is slowed down pretty badly, potash is down oil is nothing now, it still hits a country. When the US economy crashed the Canadian one was still strong but now we're the ones in the bad situation.
    I agree and it is not an easy thing to take or understand. I grew up on the Canadian border, still live here, so i have a sense of the Canadian people and their way of life. I watched Hockey Night in Canada and Peter Puck as a kid! I have faith BlackBerry will survive and be successful as a software company going forward.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    09-29-16 05:40 PM
    I agree and it is not an easy thing to take or understand. I grew up on the Canadian border, still live here, so i have a sense of the Canadian people and their way of life. I watched Hockey Night in Canada and Peter Puck as a kid! I have faith BlackBerry will survive and be successful as a software company going forward.
    Ok this helps a bit, Berryflow just posted it, maybe you saw it.

It looks like Canadian Parliament talking about what happened and he mentions several devices that we still use.

I'm hoping BIS will continue in the US as well.....

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=bF1uvsyhmaw

09-29-16 06:51 PM
    Chance of BB10 device: zero

Chance of a BlackBerry-designed Android pkb device (after small chance of Mercury release): zero

Market size of pkb users in 3 years from now: 14

After that, a slab is a slab. Better someone else with huge economies of scale make them anyway.

Focus on software.
    So chances of someone else also building a BlackBerry branded PKB handset is zero according to you?

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    09-29-16 08:02 PM
    So chances of someone else also building a BlackBerry branded PKB handset is zero according to you?

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    I didn't actually say that, but I DO think that the market for a pkb looking a few years ahead will not warrant building one.
    09-29-16 08:10 PM
    I didn't actually say that, but I DO think that the market for a pkb looking a few years ahead will not warrant building one.
    I guess we will have to wait for the mercury to tell us that (if it does release)

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    09-29-16 08:11 PM
    I guess we will have to wait for the mercury to tell us that (if it does release)

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    I think the market has already told us.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-29-16 08:20 PM
78 1234