I've been thinking about the future of my next phone. I recently sold a two year old Unlocked Passport and bought a brand new one! I'm compiling a collection of items for future use if they dissappear off the web.

Saceshi, Snap, Cobalt collection, APK's that I've downloaded off Google Play Store, Blitz's.

I'm probably good for a few years really. But I have been looking at, Ubuntu on phones | Ubuntu and it has caught my interest as a possible future phone and OS if BB cannot stay in the phone biz. I have bought, tired and given up on the Priv, sent it back. If it had the same battery life of my Passport I probably would have accepted it. (Thanks A Lot BB For Spoiling Us With A Phone Such As Passport, you've ruined me for life for any other phones!) I tried Android before on a Nexus 4 and compared to BB10 it is like Windows was for years never a well thought out smooth and intuitive OS, it is a simple beginning, layered up with changes so it will always feel awkward. Maybe in two years if the Priv can ever fix the battery issue, which I doubt because I believe Android on any phone is naturally a battery hog. Look at the size of the Priv battery! Your first guess as mine was that it would hold up with the Android Mess as I call it. Maybe BB can figure a way to add an option that gives you a basic operation, but pushes down as much of the Android as possible? A one touch shuts down all but the minimum, phone, text, browser, stopping all Apps from running in the backgrounds. I doubt it though.

Anyway, I see no other alternative then perhaps, Ubuntu on phones | Ubuntu to iPhone, Android or Windows (is Windows still selling phones?!) Next xmas I may look deep into my pockets and see if I can afford the ubuntu phone just to play with?

Until then, love my Unlocked Passport til death do us part!
    pstrusi likes this.
    04-30-16 07:16 AM
    You mock the Priv battery size yet the Passport has a larger one.
    04-30-16 07:38 AM
    You mock the Priv battery size yet the Passport has a larger one.
    You are incorrectly saying that I mock the PP battery! It is a spectacular battery. Also, I assumed before I bought the Priv that the Priv battery was also a above standard capacity but Android still tears up the Priv battery life.
    04-30-16 08:01 AM
    You are incorrectly saying that I mock the PP battery! It is a spectacular battery. Also, I assumed before I bought the Priv that the Priv battery was also a above standard capacity but Android still tears up the Priv battery life.
    You said the Priv (Android) needs a large battery. I pointed out the Passport (BB10) also has a large battery. What is the difference?

Android does not eat up battery.
    04-30-16 08:03 AM
    No doubt about it. If the passport didn't have a car size battery in it it wouldn't be decent. I've never gotten the outlandish battery times that people claim to get on here anyway. I mean it's good, but it's because it's huge and not because BB10 optimizes it.
    04-30-16 08:09 AM
    U ever tried using Ubantu? I don't think u did. Can't judge a book by its cover

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-30-16 08:11 AM

I've used ubuntu on a PC, it did a basic good job but I never went main stream with it. Have you used the mobile ubuntu or viewed the demo videos?
    Last edited by mawil1013; 05-01-16 at 07:57 AM.
    04-30-16 10:51 AM

Yeah, particularly since Mark Shuttleworth brazenly lied about Canonical's selling of Ubuntu users' data. Even Google doesn't pretend they aren't doing that.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-16 09:31 PM
    I'm sure you'll be fine whatever the outcome of Blackberry. If they are making phones you'll be fine, if they aren't you'll be fine.
    anon(9742832) likes this.
    04-30-16 10:15 PM
    Yeah, particularly since Mark Shuttleworth brazenly lied about Canonical's selling of Ubuntu users' data. Even Google doesn't pretend they aren't doing that.

Posted via CB10
    An honest thief and a dishonest thief, what the difference, they still robbing you.
    web99 and skinnymike1 like this.
    05-01-16 07:58 AM
    I try and look a year down the road when I am buying into any platform, that's an eternity in this industry. As long as the device and OS are going to be supported within the year timeframe, I will get the device.

For me worrying about what's going to happen two to three years down the road, it's not worth getting stressed out over stuff like that. A lot can change in the timeframe of a year!
    05-01-16 01:50 PM
    I've been thinking about the future of my next phone. I recently sold a two year old Unlocked Passport and bought a brand new one! I'm compiling a collection of items for future use if they dissappear off the web.

Saceshi, Snap, Cobalt collection, APK's that I've downloaded off Google Play Store, Blitz's.

I'm probably good for a few years really. But I have been looking at, Ubuntu on phones | Ubuntu and it has caught my interest as a possible future phone and OS if BB cannot stay in the phone biz. I have bought, tired and given up on the Priv, sent it back. If it had the same battery life of my Passport I probably would have accepted it. (Thanks A Lot BB For Spoiling Us With A Phone Such As Passport, you've ruined me for life for any other phones!) I tried Android before on a Nexus 4 and compared to BB10 it is like Windows was for years never a well thought out smooth and intuitive OS, it is a simple beginning, layered up with changes so it will always feel awkward. Maybe in two years if the Priv can ever fix the battery issue, which I doubt because I believe Android on any phone is naturally a battery hog. Look at the size of the Priv battery! Your first guess as mine was that it would hold up with the Android Mess as I call it. Maybe BB can figure a way to add an option that gives you a basic operation, but pushes down as much of the Android as possible? A one touch shuts down all but the minimum, phone, text, browser, stopping all Apps from running in the backgrounds. I doubt it though.

Anyway, I see no other alternative then perhaps, Ubuntu on phones | Ubuntu to iPhone, Android or Windows (is Windows still selling phones?!) Next xmas I may look deep into my pockets and see if I can afford the ubuntu phone just to play with?

Until then, love my Unlocked Passport til death do us part!
    I think you worry to much, I love my Passport and will use it until my apps no longer update and work. That should be another year or so all depends. What will dictate on the longevity of OS 10 is how long the older run-time keeps works. It is a security problem and as apps update, this window too will close, as for a Windows phone. They are coming out with two new ones this year as announced. But you will run into the same issues, the apps are just not their unless Windows changes that and opens up to Android apps, that is a strong possibility since Microsoft is much more about the cash and selling than BlackBerry ever was, now before everyone gets their panties in a twist. I mean Microsoft is about pushing a product and pays to push that product. Go to any ATT store and on the wall is Windows phones.......BlackBerry....is were again?
    05-01-16 02:12 PM
    I try and look a year down the road when I am buying into any platform, that's an eternity in this industry. As long as the device and OS are going to be supported within the year timeframe, I will get the device.

For me worrying about what's going to happen two to three years down the road, it's not worth getting stressed out over stuff like that. A lot can change in the timeframe of a year!
    Agree with you Ronald .
    05-02-16 01:46 AM