hi there, i have 2 phones that need to be erased before sold.

is putting my password in wrong then typing blackberry a few times till it erases sufficient.

My boss says i have to degauss it like an old CRT monitor to erase any content. i thought this was just for magnetic media such as floppy disks and hard disks.

cheers

Dave
    03-16-11 08:08 AM
    BBSAK.
    Completely wipe the device, then load a new OS.
    Set it up as a new phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-11 08:09 AM
    thanks for that.

is the degauss a red herring then?
    03-16-11 10:02 AM
    Degauss is used to de-magnetize things. Used to be common with floppy disks and monitors. I'm not sure if it would have any effect on a BB...
    03-16-11 10:46 AM
    Magnets are used to place BBs in a standby state. I'd imagine a REAL strong one could erease data, BUT it's not really necesary a BBSAK, or full security or factory wipe should do the trick.
    03-16-11 11:27 AM
    much as i thought really.

thinking about it. the remote BES erase / typing the password wrong till it erases in the event of loss / theft should be sufficient anyway... or bes is really flawed.
    03-16-11 01:11 PM
    I still have a small degausser for tape deck heads. Didn't know degaussing was useful for cell phone wipes!
    03-16-11 02:35 PM
    Send it to Japan and have them place it in the reactor that is melting down for a few days. That is the only way to be sure all the data is gone. Or you could just wipe and forget it. Your call.

03-16-11 03:01 PM
    Send it to Japan and have them place it in the reactor that is melting down for a few days. That is the only way to be sure all the data is gone. Or you could just wipe and forget it. Your call.

I KNOW you are trying to be funny, but lets not go there!
    03-16-11 03:03 PM
    I KNOW you are trying to be funny, but lets not go there!
    Just ask Gilbert Gottfried.
    03-16-11 03:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD