NOTE: If you know the answer to this please post a URL / link

Does anyone know about any sites hosting a sort of software repository for BB that would include older versions?

I mean:
    -Operating systems by model number + specific carrier?
    -Desktop managers?
    -USB drivers that XP can load on its own with its own device manager/hardware wizard (this is a topic on its own that I hope to post later)

Carriers don't have links to old software versions for their phones (at least T-mobile doesn't) Rim doesn't seem to have an FTP server available to the public with older versions of their DM or older versions of their handsets
    __________________________________________________ __
    "The problem": I read all about recovering a BB 101 but my BB is used so I don't have the original CD that might have come with the unit with the original software & desktop manager.
    12-29-10 12:24 PM
    bump!
    + 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 characters!
    12-29-10 02:05 PM
    I found one but it is too slow:

http:\\blackberry.bosen.net
    12-29-10 02:11 PM
    You can use any providers OS, all you need to do is delete the vendor .xml file before installing it. You do not need a provider specific OS, just a device specific OS.
    eszrdx likes this.
    12-29-10 02:33 PM
    Thanks Heavy Fluid. I came across this post:
    h t t p : / / crackberry . c o m / blackberry-101-lecture-12-how-reload-operating-system-nuked-blackberry
    and at some point it recommended to use the original software provided by the vendor.

Despite the particular issue I am going through I still think it would be nice to have a sort of repository/FTP site where one could find newer and older os releases.
    12-29-10 04:32 PM
    You are absolutely correct about the vendor . xml file, I completely forgot to delete it las time. Loading the Os as we speak. Holding tight.
    12-29-10 04:39 PM
    I am watching this thread to see what happens. Hope it works out for you.
    eszrdx likes this.
    12-29-10 05:30 PM
    So I tried w/ 3 different USB cables until I was finally able to get this thing to go. Current veredict: USB jack has some sort of issue. I was able to install 4.2.2.180 (which was a nightmare to find) and once installed I could see the little icon that allows you to know when the device is connected to a computer. Well I discovered that that icon was a very accurate/real time thingy and it would go on and off. While the phone went 507 and 339 (I think) on me I would continued to hit retry, the phone would restart quite a few times but it is now happily running 4.2.2.

Now since I.ve never owned a BB so I don't know if the screen that says "Connected to Desktop" is supposed to stay that way when the unit is hooked up to a PC. This goes back & forth between the main screen and the "Connected to desktop" screen. Very weird behaviour.

Nevertheless I spent over 24 hours working with this (unlocking the succer and so on) and I still have to upgrade to 4.5. This is a great site, I'm surprised a repository has not been done already. I spent most of that time looking for the old DM and the old OS on Google, the pirate bay and everything else and I joined 3 forums in that time period (more than 80% the amount of forums I joined this year : )
    12-29-10 06:24 PM
    Can't find what to jiggle but I'm almost convinced I am facing some type of hardware issue here! There it goes. Gripping the unit tight! Praying is almost an option.
    12-29-10 06:30 PM
    What model is this device?
    eszrdx likes this.
    12-29-10 06:32 PM

"Connecting to Device (This might take 30 minutes)" OMG! Almost done on the update! My hand hurts, it needs some blood circulation going. ouch
    12-29-10 06:53 PM
    It says "Complete" but progress bar at about 93%
    12-29-10 06:54 PM
    Hourglass happily turning around on the BB. Progress bar is still in the same place
    12-29-10 06:55 PM
    Moved my hand (it hurt) I hope I didn't screw up in the last stage.

I guess this is what we could legitimately call: Hand labor. In Spanish makes more sense I think, it meaning: Mano de obra.
    12-29-10 06:58 PM
    If it is in fact the charging port, and you want to continue to use the device once it is back up, simply use one of these.

I don't know if you can use this to sync with the desktop via USB cord, but it is worth a shot.
    eszrdx likes this.
    12-29-10 06:58 PM
    I agree it is definitely worth a shot. Now, have I said
    T H A N K S already?

!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hourglass turning around, my hand hurts and the progress bar in the DM went further to the right by a notch. 6 little more bars and will have some real relief. Physically and mentally also!
    12-29-10 07:11 PM
    OMG it did it! Now I wonder if I get that thing u posted how does it connect physically with the handset. I can't see where it would connect to anything (?)
    12-29-10 07:14 PM
    I wish there was Skype for it or any SIP software for it. It will not be my device (I'm givint it to a friend overseas) but I know so many people who would like to use VOIP in their BB devices. I wonder if anyone has tried to port a Skype app from a Verizon phone to a not Verizon one.
    12-29-10 07:22 PM
    There should be two metal pieces on the lower back part of the phone. Those are contacts, they will touch matching pieces in the dock, and charge the phone. I see no reason as to why it won't sync with DM via USB cable now that I think about it.
    eszrdx likes this.
    12-29-10 07:42 PM
    Yeap! You r absolutely right, what you describe is there. And I can also tell how you aren't sure about the ability of this port to transfer any data via USB. I don't see how that can happen though mi understandin on electronics is somewhat limited, but it is a good question.
    12-30-10 11:52 AM
    Would be worth checking out. You can always send it with the phone to your friend. If I had a dock, I would just test it out, but I don't have one for my 9700.
    12-30-10 11:58 AM
    I only see what seems to be a + and a ground for power, so idk how this will work for data, though there are some power adapters that can network your home through the sockets of your home but this is AC. I don't know if this can be done in a DC type of cabling, but that is just my assumption.
    12-30-10 12:08 PM
    Do u have any idea if Verizon is the only carrier for the 9530?
    I know this should b in another topic altogether, but no1 else seems 2b around, no1 will notice lol

Maybe there's a link on CB about this phone.
    12-30-10 12:11 PM
    Do u have any idea if Verizon is the only carrier for the 9530?
    I know this should b in another topic altogether, but no1 else seems 2b around, no1 will notice lol

Maybe there's a link on CB about this phone.
    Yes, in North America VZW is the only carrier that has the Storm 95xx series.
    12-30-10 12:18 PM
    But what about other countries/carriers? I'm visiting Venezuela (something like the BB capital of the world lol) They use GSM 850 as far as I know, but I haven't seen the 9530 software for any carriers in Latin America (not that I have researched all of them either)

I've heard of some people having success unlocking that phone with MFI though I'm a newbie and on the instructions for using MFI here on CB there was a newbie warning about it not working with the 9530. I don't want to brick the phone either, but again this has little to do with the original topic which is that there should be a software repository with everything that RIM has ever released software wise and all mods too.
    12-30-10 12:44 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD