What's up CB? Have a weird issue that hopefully someone can help me with. I've had my 9700 for a few months now. Haven't had any issues worth mentioning (again) with this phone up until now. I get a call and of course it drops mid conversation. I look at the phone and realize UMA isn't on. I need UMA to use the phone in parts of the house. So I try to connect back to the wireless. No action. I pull the battery. I don't know if it's relevant but wifi is always disabled when I do a battery pull. So I go to turn it on. Screen goes black and notification light turns red. Device powered all the way down. Keeps doing this.

So here's what I've done.

1) Reset the router - Everything else in the house that uses the wifi is working without any issues. Doubt that's the problem.

2) Security Wipe the Blackberry - Didn't make a difference. Didn't back up my settings either. Oops. I have something to do tomorrow!

I'm lost now. No idea what to try next. Is it possible to "format" the device and reinstall the software? If so would someone mind pointing me in the right direction to do this? Don't worry about how confusing it might be. I'm sure with a little documentation I'll work it out.

*Update* After another battery pull, the phone no longer crashes when I try to turn on the wifi. It enables and quickly disables itself. So I went to the wizard to try from there. I get a popup saying "unable to turn on wifi." No explanation as to why not, but I guess that's something.

Thanks in advance for the help. Much appreciated.
    02-14-10 06:07 AM
    Of course there is always the possibility that you have a hardware problem and need a replacement handset.

Are you still running the original OS (v.330)?

While this wouldn't explain all the issues, but there are some router settings you should make to optimize the stability of your UMA connection. A simple google search on "t-mobile uma router" should get you the info. But that will only help you maintain the UMA connection once you have wi-fi running properly.

Note that I upgraded to .442 OS software and my UMA and wifi are now rock solid (I too use it all the time at home due to signal issues).
    02-14-10 06:42 AM
    As GJW said, an OS upgrade could solve your wifi issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-10 07:09 AM
    Thanks for the replies. I've been trying to hold off on upgrading the OS until there's an official from t-mo. May look into this after a nap.

02-14-10 07:17 AM
    Oddly enough I was screwing around with themes and it started working. Switched back to my original theme and I'm still connected. Looks like a software issue. I'll probably just upgrade to the latest official and hope for the best.

02-14-10 07:21 AM
    I had a similar problem when I first got my phone, but eventually it started working. I'm not sure what I did to make it better, but I was pretty sure it was a buggy app or theme. At that time I was making a lot of changes to my phone on a daily basis. Here is another discussion of wifi crash and burn: http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/97...-issue-398702/
    02-14-10 08:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD