When you got your phone swapped out did you keep your original battery or did you get a new one as well? There have been reports that a bad battery will cause the phone to reboot. If you kept your old battery because it was already charged that could very well be the culprit.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Everything was replaced, including the battery. For a moment I wished I could've kept the battery because the first one had like 85% of charge and the one on the replacement unit only had 20% of charge, but it wouldn't have done me any good when the replacement phone got into a rebooting loop on my way home.
    09-28-08 09:07 AM
    Your choice whether to dump the 8320 or not, it depends whether you really like BB or want to go back to a different phone. If you want to give BB another go I would tell the store they have one final chance to supply working hardware, and if they fail it gets escalated to Consumer Protection or whatever you call them in Page Ranking, and you sue the store for failing to provide as contracted. Should at least get a real manager trying to convert you to Happy Customer.
    I don't want to threaten with a lawsuit because so far they have treated me very professionally in the store. I can't complain about their service, only about the device and that could well be a bad batch.

I'll go back to the store to get another exchange. Someone said: Third time's a charm. Instead I say: Strike three and RIM is OUT.
    09-28-08 09:14 AM
    If Windows Mobile is the device you prefer, then go back to it. I myself with never go back to another WM device. The constant battery pulls, the crappy battery life, and just the unstableness of the OS. I love my curve, and I have not had one issue with it, but I have had major issues with WM devices. So it depends on the person, and their experiences with the BB. Good luck.
    09-28-08 09:15 AM
    I went back to the store. The same dude who replaced the BB yesterday had to replace it today. At first he wanted to replace just the SIM card but it was a good thing, I guess, that the second Curve was in such a bad shape because with both old and new SIM cards, he was able to experience the problem first hand.

So I'm now on my third Curve. At least I was able to make it out of the store and back home without a single reboot. I did make my usual changes to the settings and configured my email. It's almost done charging now and I'll dump my Outlook stuff in next. We'll see if this is THE one...
    Last edited by CeluGeek; 09-28-08 at 02:05 PM.
    09-28-08 02:02 PM
    Wow its odd reading this... as I had the same problem, only on all the windows mobile devices I had! I was constantly rebooting them (or they just plain crashed and rebooted themselves) So far with my curve I had not a single issue! I only reboot when adding or deleting apps. The phone implementation just works on BB while on the windows mobile devices, the phone is treated like just another app... and so it lags etc having no priority over memory than any other apps do.

I would say it's either you just had bad luck with 2 bad devices in a row, or it's something you are adding application wise, or its your SIM card.
    09-28-08 02:43 PM
    Starting to sound better. I think you should stick it out to get a working BB, ... because you can! and we know the problems you have seen are completely abnormal. When you have a good working specimen in your hand you can evaluate it properly and decide which is the better tool for your requirements.

I'm pleased to hear you have a good local supplier - it matters more for BBs which tend to be business tools, rather than the more consumer oriented Windows devices.

The comment about taking it to law was slightly tongue in cheek, that is a last resort when the supplier won't cooperate. Besides, it is far more satisfying to attach the offending item to a brick and return it without opening Windows. Brings a whole new meaning to 'bricked my BlackBerry'
    09-28-08 03:17 PM
    So how is the device working the third time around? Any issues?

09-28-08 03:43 PM
    Never been on WM but I can sure tell you about the probs with Palm.
    I have other friends with Treos as well and some of them are on their 7th or 8th Treo.

My Berry has worked great. None of those issues (although I also hate the uber-long boot times).

Hope you have a good one now.
    09-28-08 04:14 PM
    So how is the device working the third time around? Any issues?
    So far so good. I already put my memory card in, synced the BB with Outlook and assigned custom ringtones to the contacts that deserved it. I also set up the Wi-Fi connection so I can use UMA and installed Google Maps. I did see 3 reboots in a row, but these were by design as I was uninstalling AIM, ICQ and GoogleTalk one by one from the preloaded apps. It may take a couple of days before I can really trust the device but it seems this may be THE one to keep.
    09-28-08 05:29 PM
    Nice. Keep us posted!

09-28-08 07:09 PM
    I did have a spontaneous reboot last night, and in the middle of a phone call! I got another reboot this morning and I wasn't even touching the phone then.

I oficially give up on BlackBerry. I've had 50+ phones in the past nine years from various manufacturers and carriers, including some models deemed as POS by some users (*cough*Moto T720*cough*) and all of them have at the very least been able to work as a phone. The BB Curve is the only device I've found unreliable to have as a phone - that after three replacements.

Hopefully things won't get too bad so I can keep my Curve until I can afford the cost of the Treo Pro. Then, it's no more BlackBerry for me.

Thanks anyways for all your help guys.
    09-29-08 10:07 AM
    I wouldn't be so sure that it's the phone and not a Suncom / TMo issue that just isn't quite right yet. I've had issues with them with their 3G rollout for over a month. Finally seems to be working right. For a while, I thought it was the phone until I tried different models and got the same result. I also came from a WM environment, don't think I will go back.
    09-29-08 02:50 PM
    I wouldn't be so sure that it's the phone and not a Suncom / TMo issue that just isn't quite right yet. I've had issues with them with their 3G rollout for over a month. Finally seems to be working right. For a while, I thought it was the phone until I tried different models and got the same result. I also came from a WM environment, don't think I will go back.
    That could be, except that before getting the Curve, I had a T-Mobile Shadow for a week and it did not reboot itself at all. Also, the second Curve was so unusable that I had to put my T-Mobile SIM card in an unlocked Moto Q Global from AT&T so I could have phone service Saturday night. Again, not a single reboot.

So even if it is a network issue, which wouldn't surprise me as I know the quality of the former SunCom network, I still blame the Curve since other phones are able to tolerate those network issues without crashing.
    09-29-08 10:10 PM
    Get the Curve 8330 and switch to Verizon. You wont have that problem anymore

EDIT: Just a joke, please no bashing
    09-29-08 10:21 PM
    Get the Curve 8330 and switch to Verizon. You wont have that problem anymore

EDIT: Just a joke, please no bashing
    CDMA?!?!

Just kidding, there is no Verizon in Puerto Rico anyway.
    09-29-08 10:47 PM
    CDMA?!?!

Just kidding, there is no Verizon in Puerto Rico anyway.
    Oh Crap! Didnt see where you were from. Your right, I appologize for that. Well......switch to AT&T lol.

I remember when I had my nextel there and it didnt work either a long time ago. Weird. They need to put some towers over there. My Grandmom lives there Guyamma if thats how you spell it lol
    09-29-08 10:59 PM
    I remember when I had my nextel there and it didnt work either a long time ago. Weird. They need to put some towers over there. My Grandmom lives there Guyamma if thats how you spell it lol
    There are three CDMA carriers (Sprint, Centennial and OpenMobile) and three GSM carriers (AT&T, Claro and T-Mobile). This is an iDEN-free zone.
    09-29-08 11:10 PM
    There are three CDMA carriers (Sprint, Centennial and OpenMobile) and three GSM carriers (AT&T, Claro and T-Mobile). This is an iDEN-free zone.
    actually it isn't, as a small private group has or had some i-den towers (startup private business)for contractors some years back (don't know if they are still operational)

I really think it has something to do with the network.

Boricua y de Mayag�ez !
    09-30-08 08:22 AM
    actually it isn't, as a small private group has or had some i-den towers (startup private business)for contractors some years back (don't know if they are still operational)

I really think it has something to do with the network.

Boricua y de Mayag�ez !
    Right, there was some carrier in Levittown with a very small iDEN footprint. Luckily, that didn't go too far. No annoying chirping around.

Back on topic, the current Curve is indeed behaving better than the first two units. I'm still not happy about the reboots, but there have been fewer with the third Curve. I'm not posting about it anymore as it may proof me wrong by either rebooting more often or quitting the reboots once and for all.
    09-30-08 01:21 PM
    I remembered your story while reading this post: http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/hel...booting-73144/
    10-02-08 08:53 AM
    I've gotten 66+ hours of uptime on the third Curve, which is a first. Hopefully the worst is now behind.
    10-02-08 11:03 AM
    I had my first random reboot a few days ago when I was browsing online, but I was quick enough to notice something.

Normally my network displays EDGE in the corner but it flashed to GPRS when I was browsing on the web. The moment it did that it locked and rebooted.

When it came back, I was on GPRS for a while but it finally reverted to EDGE without a reboot.

Coincidence? I have no idea but that is what happened to me.
    10-02-08 11:15 AM
    well i had my Curve for just about a week now and im enjoying it more then i enjoyed my Windows Mobile phones i had over the past year.
    10-03-08 01:15 AM
    I've gotten 66+ hours of uptime on the third Curve, which is a first. Hopefully the worst is now behind.
    You have been really unlucky with your BlackBerrys.

The big advantage that BlcakBerrys have over Windows Mobile is that both the hardware and the software is produced by RIM. This should mean that the phones are more stable and generally work better than 90% of the WIndows Mobile hardware out there.

Clearly this has not been your experience.

Here on CrackBerry we have a number of members who can get the absolute best out of their phones.

My 8310 is totally reliable on the older Operating Systems and highly unreliable on the later releases. I therefore stay on the older, reliable releases as I must have a relaible phone for my business and I will sacrifice featyres to insure this.

As to your current phone I would like to know which OS you are running so please go to Options, About and note the 3rd line down. This is the OS version.

Next I'd like to knwo how much free memory you currently have. Go to Options, Status and note the FIle Free number. This is in bytes so divide by a million to get Mb. With less than 12Mb, the phone does not work well. With less than 5.5Mb you are in real trouble.

Pulling the battery out will reset the memory and this needs to be done about once a week.

There is almost certainly a load of junk installed on your phone by your carrier and a lot of this can be removed.

Go to Options, Advanced Options, Applications and scroll down to the BlackBerry Sample Video, press Menu and select Delete. This will free up about 2 - 2.5Mb of much needed memory.

There are other things that can be done to alleviate memory usage but that needs another post, I think.
    10-03-08 02:35 AM
    Regardless of any of the other opinions posted in this thread, you
    have to find the device that performs the way you expect it to and
    that suits your needs.

If that is a WinMo, Symbian or some device other than BB so be it.
    It is all about the right device for the right person.

And don't let a bunch of BB fanboys convince you to keep a device
    that does not function for you
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 10-03-08 at 03:55 AM.
    10-03-08 03:48 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD