Post made back in 2009 from founder: CrackBerry Kevin

At CrackBerry.com we take pride in keeping these forums very open. If you've been here a while you've probably noticed this yourself. We don't want the forums to be a police state where you need to be scared to post something for fear of getting banned by a moderator.

At the same time, posting on this forum is not a right... it's a privilege that's granted when you register here and agree to the terms and conditions, which include following the forum rules and guidelines, including our rules for General Member Conduct, which I'll post right here:

Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!

This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always use the Report Post function - exclamation mark inside a triangle at the top right corner of every post - to report something to the mod team that you think is offside). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!

When it comes to this forum resolution for years to come, it's going to take the whole community to see make it happen. We *could* put down the moderation hammer and clean things up, but honestly, that's the last thing I'd ever want to see happen here and it would be worse on the forum as a whole. We need to police our own actions and the problem will take care of itself. It really is simple. If you can't be nice in the response you're about to post, then just don't post it. The community is big and somebody who's willing to respond in a more positive tone is likely just around the corner and will step in.

Let's make it happen CrackBerry Nation! As I said above, this is an issue that all big community forums tend to run into, but I know this forum is a cut above the rest. We can continue to make this THE place to be for all things BlackBerry and do it in a friendly and fun manner.

08-05-10 09:19 AM
    Seems like every time a new device drops, or an major OS upgrade, the community goes through a crazy period, and it seems to be amplified when a touch screen (something new for RIM) is involved. And NOW we have BOTH! I think we all need to take some deep breaths and remember that it's just a phone, OK OK, communication tool, and yea we love it, BUT there is so much more to life!

Thank you Yester18 for reminding us of Kevin's word from that classic post! I'm with you 1000%
    08-05-10 10:42 AM
    Thanks for the reminder. It's very easy to forget. There's enough incivility out in everyday life. We don't/shouldn't have to put up with it here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-10 10:53 AM
    Lol. This should be reposted every day.

08-05-10 01:28 PM
    Amen, Yester18!!!
    08-05-10 01:29 PM
    Ill agree to that

08-05-10 01:39 PM
    This should be part of the log in screen, lol a daily or hourly reminder to us, to play nice in the sand box.
    08-05-10 01:51 PM
    Sounds nice but it won't keep the trolls away...

08-05-10 04:54 PM
    Fully agree. Wish there was also a reminder to notify people to search too.

Duplicate threads can be tiresome sometimes.

A note about the trolls, ignoring is the best option. They're just attention seekers and tend to post on just about every forum imaginable.

08-05-10 06:01 PM
    Good advice, Yester18.
    08-05-10 07:20 PM
    Couldn't agree more! Excellent reminder Yester
    08-05-10 08:12 PM
    I felt like an old man reading a font that size :P
    08-05-10 10:51 PM
    Great reminder Yester! Thank you. I sincerely hope that CB returns to normal
    soon. These past few days were painful.
    08-05-10 11:35 PM
    Sounds nice but it won't keep the trolls away...

Agreed 100%
    When Kevin stated "This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!" I don't see Android/iphone owning, BB haters that just like to stir the pot, as being part of that community
    Last edited by Jake Storm; 08-09-10 at 12:32 AM.
    08-06-10 12:47 AM
    I would like this if it had a like button like facebook. Just saying
    08-06-10 12:53 AM
    I guess people don't realize how lucky they are if their biggest problem is what
    new smartphone to buy. Its ridiculous to rant over the subject.
    08-06-10 12:58 AM
    @ TA, "Lucky?"
    @b_boy Here you go.
    Yes... Lucky... if the biggest problem anyone has is to rant about a
    smartphone, then that person really doesn't have any BIG PROBLEMS...
    08-06-10 05:06 PM
    @ TA, "Lucky?"
    @b_boy Here you go.
    Lol @ the link.

08-06-10 05:11 PM
    Very nicely put. I think I will consider myself a newbie for a while to come and I have to say that everyone has been very nice and patient. We are all here to learn and to help people learn, aren't we?
    08-06-10 05:24 PM
    @TA you take this way too seriously.

Luck is a name people use for things they don't get. 'Same thing with "coincidence."

It's all relative.

Yeah buddy.

Are we done?
    Haha... its all okay. I personally think luck means more than that, but yeah,
    I have other stuff to take care of tonight.

08-06-10 06:43 PM
    Crackberry is a community. A dysfunctional community at times, but a community none the same. Not everyone is going to see eye to eye. Not everyone is as passionate about Blackberrys as has been the case in the past. We all don't have to agree to get along. Regardless of how you feel about Blackberry & RIM, you have to admit this is the place to learn about smartphones. You won't find a more knowledgeable community than this one right here.
    08-06-10 07:09 PM
    I just wish Crackberry could be a little more Blackberry-centric. I can see some benefit from having sub-forums for the iPhone and Androids when there's constructive criticism and comparison, but more often than not, it just causes senseless arguing. It's like having a forum for Raider fans and Chiefs fans to come together to talk about football...
    08-06-10 07:58 PM
    Sticky this. I looked for it earlier. Several repliers needed to read it.
    08-06-10 08:04 PM
    Crackberry is a community. A dysfunctional community at times, but a community none the same. Not everyone is going to see eye to eye. Not everyone is as passionate about Blackberrys as has been the case in the past. We all don't have to agree to get along. Regardless of how you feel about Blackberry & RIM, you have to admit this is the place to learn about smartphones. You won't find a more knowledgeable community than this one right here.
    Excellent perspective. I was thinking along the same lines. We discovered Crackberry to learn more about our BlackBerrys and meet other BB users. We stay here because we love how CrackBerry enhances our smartphone user experience. It's hard to find other sites as educational and rewarding as this site and I think that may be why many who have left the BB platform don't want to leave CrackBerry.
    08-07-10 01:57 AM
    ...It's like having a forum for Raider fans and Chiefs fans to come together to talk about football...
    Oh, my gosh, I recall a Raiders home game I was at once when the Chiefs were playing, and the fans waiting in line at the concessions were chanting obscenites at the Chiefs fans! Most crazy thing I have seen at a pro game. I felt like i was at a college rivalry game.
    08-07-10 02:08 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD