So a friend of mine, and long time BlackBerry user, has recently been toying with the notion of ditching his new Z10, for a Samsung Galaxy S4, or another top android phone. He thinks the lack of big name apps and games are a big reason to switch. BlackBerry's bad rep as of late probably doesn't help either. Should I convince him to stay? How?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by KMan4444; 10-15-13 at 11:08 AM.
    10-14-13 10:42 PM
    If he wants to leave there isn't much you can do to stop him. I've come to realize people are very narrow minded when I comes to phones.
    10-14-13 10:44 PM
    Ask your friend what they use their phone for. If it's for communication then BlackBerry is still the way to go. But if it's for other reasons like watching Netflix on a small screen, joining the instagram craze or feel like they're missing out on Candy Crush saga then just steer them to an ipad. Bigger screen, better experience. 10.2 is just around the corner and it in my opinion (and others) resolves many of the complaints people had with BB10.

Just my two cents.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 10:45 PM
    It's just a phone. If he wants to use something else, entirely up to him. It shouldn't matter to you what he uses. I mean we all have our friends based up who they are, not what phone they use, or car they drive etc right?
    10-14-13 10:46 PM
    I can't imagine coming on here and asking this for a friend.
    TGR1, deda1002, m1a1mg and 2 others like this.
    10-14-13 10:48 PM
    What you should do is be a friend, let him make his own decision and leave it at that. He's thinking about changing phones, not gender reassignment. It just ain't that serious.
    10-14-13 10:50 PM
    What I've learned is, don't try to convince him of anything. If you do, and he keeps the phone, he will probably remind you that you talked him into keeping it every time he finds it lacking in some way.

His phone his choice.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 10:51 PM
    As a long term BB user, I cannot understand why he is complaining about the lack of apps. I didn't expect apps when I bought my Z10, because I already knew apps are not "leur point fort".
    10-15-13 05:54 AM
    If he wants to try new things, just let him. I know how irritating it can be when you are using one phone (ex. Bold 9900) and want to go try a phone (ex. Z30), but your friends keep telling you to try another phone (S4/iPhone 5)

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 06:14 AM
    DONT try to convince him to stay, theres nothing worse than someone harassing you into doing the same thing or buying the same thing or believing in the same thing as you. if an iphone or android buddy of yours started trying to convince you to buy one of those devices would you appreciate it or would you be annoyed and start to dread seeing them?

if he wants to move, let him move and find out for himself which he prefers more. he has a return period he can use if he finds its not what he wanted, he doesnt need others pressuring him to stay with something hes obviously not happy enough with to keep for definite
    richardat likes this.
    10-15-13 06:24 AM
    Jeez, really? Do people in the real world actually try to talk their friends into certain types of phones? Who gives a f***? It a phone.
    10-15-13 06:29 AM
    I say let him get what he wants. Its his money. Plus who knows, the S4 might actually work better for him!
    richardat and pantlesspenguin like this.
    10-15-13 07:23 AM
    So a friend of mine, and long time BlackBerry user, has recently been toying with the notion of ditching his new Z10, for a Samsung Galaxy S4, or another top android phone. He thinks the lack of big name apps and games are a big reason to switch. BlackBerry's bad rep as of late probably doesn't help either. How can I convince him to stay? Or should I convince him to stay?

Posted via CB10
    Don't make decisions about life for others. To some, it can be a matter more dear than life itself. Even phones. Let him / her be.

Thanks for sharing though.
    10-15-13 07:37 AM
    OP, are you sure it is really a friend and not you who wants to switch?
    Anyway, to each his or her own. As usual the grass is always greener on the other side. Let your friend try the other phone so they can truly make up their mind.
    Personally, multiple platforms usage is the best way to enjoy the best of all worlds.

Posted via CB10
    badiyee likes this.
    10-15-13 08:17 AM
    Let the friend do what the friend wants. But have him read below first.. I too left beloved BB this last saturday for S4 because my beloved BB bold keeps freezing, I have owned it for two years. I really want the BB Q10 however the last time I purchased a phone under sketchy circumstances, I paid a million dollars for it and six months later ATT stopped supporting the product which is how I at the time reluctantly ended up purchasing my first BB (which I still have)! So I am at day three with this S4 and I am already missing my BB, this phone does not:
    1. Have different profiles which will enable user to control how phone behaves when on vibrate, plugged in, silent etc
    2. Have an auto off/on feature....it has a block feature. The disadvantage to this is that you have to go through your contacts and decide who gets through during block times. What a conundrum, what if it is an emergency and the approved contact is calling from a different number???
    3. Allow auto syncing/push/pull of emails when the screen is locked with security higher than a swipe!!!! For example, when there is inactivity on the phone for a user defined amount of time the screen locks. User can unlock screen with increasing levels of security from highest to lowest they are swipe, swipe and face, face and voice, swipe pattern, pin or password. Using pin renders phone incapable of retrieving emails!!! I am trying with swipe pattern now. I am a real estate broker and receive at least 75+ emails a day via my business email. I noticed yesterday that I hadnt received emails for a few hours, I unlocked the phone, and manually pushed, then the emails appeared....Not good. I am not an app person, I didn't need or expect apps with BB, I need the damned phone to work. I will try phone out for a few more days but if the phone cannot simultaneously retrieve emails and provide the minimum modicum of security, I am taking it back and will go with the Q10, hell at this point whats $600, for a new BB? Hopefully BB will bounce back. I love you BB...sorry for ever doubting you...
    p51 likes this.
    10-15-13 08:35 AM
    If your friend was switching to something with a big flaw, and he is going to be stuck with it/locked in for some time for whatever reason, I'd warn him strongly and leave it at that.

Otherwise, I also say: who cares? It's just a phone....the s4 is an excellent phone - it may or may not be the best for him, and he may or may not like it, but in the end, his life won't suffer from serious repercussions either way, and, of course, he can simply switch back - or to something else, later!
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    10-15-13 09:11 AM
    Remind him that you will not be able to BBM anymore..... oh wait, never mind that won't work.

Remind him how fast email arrives on a BlackBerry.... uh, never mind that won't work either.

Remind him of how good BlackBerry treats their customers and always puts their needs first... shoot that won't work either.

Why do you want to convince him to stay???
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    10-15-13 09:17 AM
    Remind him that you will not be able to BBM anymore..... oh wait, never mind that won't work.

Remind him how fast email arrives on a BlackBerry.... uh, never mind that won't work either.

Remind him of how good BlackBerry treats their customers and always puts their needs first... shoot that won't work either.

Why do you want to convince him to stay???
    Exactly. I played with a Z10 at best buy and I liked what I saw. Just too late to the party. Maybe 2 years ago it would have kicked @$$.
    10-15-13 10:01 AM
    In the same boat. Purchased a S4 and am totally regretting it.
    10-15-13 11:52 PM
    He's more likely to come right back any way... lol can't beat the BlackBerry 10 flow.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 11:55 PM
    I never understand why these posts are made, I mean I love BlackBerry, but seriously why does it matter what phone you or your friend uses? BlackBerry isn't your wife, husband, girlfriend, boyfriend or whatever. Use what you need. Right now a BlackBerry is what I love to use but I've also used plenty of iPhones and some android phones and even a couple Windows phones. Do I make a thread each time I think of switching? No.... Just my little rant because I can't stand these posts almost as much as the super doom and gloom or the super sunshine perfection posts..

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 12:05 AM
    If he wants to leave there isn't much you can do to stop him. I've come to realize people are very narrow minded when I comes to phones.
    OP's friend is open to trying new things, and he's the narrow minded one?
    10-16-13 05:40 AM
    So a friend of mine, and long time BlackBerry user, has recently been toying with the notion of ditching his new Z10, for a Samsung Galaxy S4, or another top android phone. He thinks the lack of big name apps and games are a big reason to switch. BlackBerry's bad rep as of late probably doesn't help either. Should I convince him to stay? How?

Posted via CB10
    I would say we all have more important things to worry about than what phones our friends have. Plus, if he wants those apps he probably should change. I can't see a reason that he shouldn't.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 05:51 AM
    Why should you convince him? BB should be self convincing, like the other brands and OS's!

Though luck BB, because its a mad mad world out there and you should bring up your own game! Step Up!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    10-16-13 06:04 AM
    Let him have a bite of jelly bean..nowhere better than a berry for sure

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 06:10 AM
31 12