i recently updated my phone and it erase my beloved garmin gps,and i dont feel like spending a hundred dollars to get it.is there a free voice guided gps out there for my bold?
    08-18-09 07:20 PM
    Look at AmazeGPS or LifeinPocket. Both work and are free.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-09 07:33 PM
    Don't you have the activation code or registration number?

08-18-09 07:33 PM
    There's also Gokivo Navigator available in app world

08-18-09 07:36 PM
    Don't you have the activation code or registration number?

no,i wish i did
    08-18-09 08:13 PM
    Gokivo Navigator works great and also can be used with Poynt. AmAze and Lifeinpocket don't work with Poynt. All are free.
    08-18-09 08:35 PM
    Is Poynt Voice Turn-by-Turn? Also, Gokivo Navigator is not free... correct?
    Last edited by Sapient; 09-13-09 at 07:23 AM.
    09-13-09 07:19 AM
    i recently updated my phone and it erase my beloved garmin gps,and i dont feel like spending a hundred dollars to get it.is there a free voice guided gps out there for my bold?
    Did you switch devices or just update your software? If you just updated your software, then Garmin should let you reload Garmin without any other fees. If you switched devices, you might be out of luck without paying for another license.

On the free turn by turn...

Try Nav4all. That is what I used before I purchased Garmin. It worked well for the price I paid.
    09-13-09 10:18 AM
    Is Poynt Voice Turn-by-Turn? Also, Gokivo Navigator is not free... correct?
    Gokivo and Poynt are both free but although I've heard there going to start charging for Gokivo at some point.

09-13-09 10:25 AM
    Gokivo and Poynt are both free but although I've heard there going to start charging for Gokivo at some point.

I gathered that. A lot of trial verbage with no actual retail attached tells me they are going to charge.

I download Poynt and it appears it is not really voice turn-by-turn. Is that correct?

What is a good free voice activated turn-by-turn?

I just moved from my BlackJack Samsung and I am really missing the ability to hack. I had garmin maps loaded with voice turn-by-turn and it was dead-on accurate. I might add at no cost.

Thanks for the support.
    Brian
    09-13-09 10:34 AM
    If your worried that Gokivo will start charging, use AmAze. I've had Gokivo for 6 months, no charge. Poynt is NOT a GPS, but Gokivo will work with Poynt. AmAze is turn by turn also.
    09-13-09 10:43 AM
    Telmap offers voice-guided GPS navigation beta for free. I've also used AMAZE and I think Telmap Navigator works a little better.

http://global.telmap.com/tugpcbeta/
    Last edited by mke67; 09-13-09 at 03:08 PM.
    09-13-09 03:06 PM
    Thanks for all the feedback. There are several out there. Making a choice difficult.

Has anyone checked out LifeInPocket?

mobile.roadcomm.com/index.html

This forum has some annoying nuances. No PM or Links until after 10 posts. I understand why, just not sure it is necessary. I good bot would just post 11...

Brian
    09-13-09 11:28 PM
    LOL... OK, after a lot of searching and reading I decided to try Gokivo and when I tried downloading it says that it is not available for this device or carrier.

I have a BB Bold and use AT&T. It must be AT&T because I tried downloading it for the 9000.

09-14-09 12:12 AM
    Hmmm

When I tried the link they sent through email, I got the above error. I went through App World on my BB and it is downloading...

I will let you know...

Thanks,
    Brian
    09-14-09 12:19 AM
    Don't be silly. If u bought your Garmin app from Garmin and its the same phone, all u have to do is re download the app and their server will recognize your phone right away. Garmin Mobile: Built for BlackBerry
    If u bought from Handango, u just contact them for the code.

09-14-09 12:51 AM
    Hey Sapient,

Like you, I had the Blackjack with Garmin Mobile loaded and everything was good! Then my company moved me over the the BOLD and everything was not so good with respect to the GPS programs. I've tried all listed above and so far the best for me is Gokivo. Though Gokivo can be touchy becuase it relies on a good network connection, it works with Point and it gives the actual street names with the voice guided directions. With some of the other programs above there were just blatent errors with the data, like wrong highway numbers and street names, etc. Good luck!
    09-14-09 06:45 AM
    Yes nefeit,
    I really liked the Jack. I just broke it on a San Francisco trip and went by AT&T and they have discontinued the II and none of the stores had another.

So I went with the Bold. I also loaded Gokivo with Poynt and it seems close enough.

Thanks
    09-14-09 06:51 AM
    I'm downloading it right now from app world.

It says Networks in Motions (isn't that the same people that do VZ navigator?)
    09-14-09 07:18 AM
    Yes, I believe it is. They are a pretty good size company. Here is their main site and information.

networksinmotion.com/index.php
    09-14-09 07:27 AM
    Here is the manual for gokivo. Might come in handy.

http://www.gokivo.com/pdf/GokivoNavi...erGuide_US.pdf
    09-14-09 07:30 AM
    Yes, I believe it is. They are a pretty good size company. Here is their main site and information.

networksinmotion.com/index.php
    I didn't realize they were that big of a company.

I figure they will eventually charge then.
    09-14-09 07:33 AM
    That is my concern as well. They currently charge for iPhones. If you read through some of the posts, some have been using it for months with no charge.

It surprises me that no one has figured out how to download the garmin maps to the device and use the on board GPS functionality to navigate.

The Black Jack has a hack that allows you to use voice turn-by-turn (Extremely accurate) with Garmin maps absolutely free. There is no charge because the maps are local. As big as this community is, you would think that would have happened.

I think with the BlackBerry community there are two differences. One being operating system, and the other being money. With the Windows Mobile community there seems to be more of an open source embrace.
    09-14-09 07:39 AM
    Blackberry's are much harder to hack, as in I don't think they have ever been hacked.

Most registrations rely on the PIN which as far as I know can't be changed.

Take beejive for example you buy the app then it uses your pin to register your account.
    09-14-09 08:05 AM
    AmAzeGPS is IMO the best free voice guided GPS available!
    09-14-09 08:18 AM
108 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD