I've been told that it is completly free to use BB messenger with other Blackberry users. Does it depend on the carrier? Rogers told me since I have a data plan and not a text plan that they will charge me per use when I text. My issue with Rogers is that I can ask 10 different people and get 10 different answers from Rogers, so I figured I would ask some folks who know. Any thoughts?
    06-15-09 08:15 PM
    its data, its free up to the limit of your data transfer
    06-15-09 08:17 PM
    It's free if you have a data plan, I do it in the US, UK and France and never get charge anything because BBM uses data but you both need to have a Blackberry with a data plan.
    06-15-09 08:19 PM
    Yep that's right as long as you have a data plan it's free...
    06-15-09 08:20 PM
    Thanks guys, once again to get a correct answer forget your service provider, talk to those who know at crackberry
    06-15-09 08:21 PM
    Thanks guys, once again to get a correct answer forget your service provider, talk to those who know at crackberry
    Your welcome anytime. Always consult crackberry first. Welcome btw!
    06-15-09 08:25 PM
    I've been told that it is completly free to use BB messenger with other Blackberry users. Does it depend on the carrier? Rogers told me since I have a data plan and not a text plan that they will charge me per use when I text. My issue with Rogers is that I can ask 10 different people and get 10 different answers from Rogers, so I figured I would ask some folks who know. Any thoughts?
    SMS text messaging is charged per use if you do not have it included in your Voice plan. You would use that with non-BlackBerry contacts.

BlackBerry Messenger is only used with other BlackBerry owners. That is part of you data plan.

I hear you, the Rogers/Fido CSR's are working from scripts. The answer you get depends on how the CSR understands your question. Unfortunatly, the heavy Canadian English or French accent tends to introduce some confusion in the India call center.
    06-16-09 11:41 AM
    Don't talk to the "regular" reps at Rogers, talk to the Blackberry dept. When you call in, say "Blackberry". I was directly told this by a Blackberry rep, that the other reps don't really know.

That being said, you can only actually USE BB Messenger when you have a proper Blackberry plan, otherwise it should be non-functional. For instance, I have the $25 BB messaging value pack which includes unlimited messaging of all kinds including SMS, MMS, IM and BB Messenger.

You might want to call into Rogers to make sure you have a proper Blackberry plan - this happened to me, the rep told me it was fine when actually it wasn't and I was getting charged for data.
    06-16-09 12:42 PM
    I sure hope there's no additional charge per use or else I would need another fulltime job to support the usuage LOL!
    I'm only kidding I know its free with data plan

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-09 12:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD