Okay, so I coughed up my old 9850 and picked up a trusty used Treo 755p a couple of months ago (waiting out for the BB OS 10 device with physical keyboard). Then I recalled that I could once use the Treo to tether internet to a computer through a third-party program.

So, installed "USB Modem" on the Treo and the appropriate drivers on my MacBook Pro (running on the Mountain Lion OS). That got me internet connectivity on the Mac, albeit slow.

Then I created a WI-FI hotspot on my Mac, using a password to protect the link. Finally, I steered my Playbook to the Mac hotspot and viola - internet on my Playbook! It's as slow as Christmas, but it's free. Why? Sprint doesnt see my ancient Treo as a smartphone, and I'm not even paying for internet on the device - though it has access.

Will be on a trip in a couple of days and will be able to create a hotspot for both my machine and my wife's iPad - it'll be slow, but heck the price is right!
    Kingkracker likes this.
    07-27-12 09:07 PM
    That's nifty but me has to think that Sprint will end up seeing and charging you eventually
    07-27-12 09:38 PM
    That's nifty but me has to think that Sprint will end up seeing and charging you eventually
    lol, will let y'all know if that happens.
    07-27-12 09:45 PM
    Just for kicks could you speed test that connection?
    07-27-12 09:58 PM
    Just for kicks could you speed test that connection?
    Registered 921 Kbps, and for kicks checked to see if I could load and play Star Wars: The Old Republic - was a "go" at that station.
    Last edited by jegs2; 07-27-12 at 10:08 PM.
    07-27-12 10:05 PM
    Registered 921 Kbps, and for kicks checked to see if I could load and play Star Wars: The Old Republic - was a "go" at that station.
    Thanks. That really isn't all that bad given the way you are connecting.
    Probably NOT something you want to do consistently though.
    07-27-12 10:10 PM
    Thanks. That really isn't all that bad given the way you are connecting.
    Probably NOT something you want to do consistently though.
    Roger that. Will be moving in the next few months, so should allow for limited connectivity on the go.
    07-27-12 10:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD