I run on BIS. If you can tell me how to access the contents of my service books so I can fulfill your request, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-10 02:31 PM
    I run on BIS. If you can tell me how to access the contents of my service books so I can fulfill your request, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Options > Advanced > Service Book
    Let me know what�s in there. Did you see WPTCP

Manage Connection > uncheck Mobile Network and check WiFi
    The try again to see if you can connect using WIFI only.
    02-22-10 03:47 PM
    Service Books:
    Provisioning, nextel BIS, IPPP for BIBS, Browser config for 5 click, IPPP for 5 click, MMS Client, NFL Mobile Live, Navigation, software store, pocket express, WAP transport nextel, WAP browser nextel, WAP MMS Nextel, WAP push config, wi-fi tcp/ip browser and transport, home and blackberry email service books, WLM 2.1, BBFS 1 and 2, and lastly blackberry maps. Hope this helps. Also tried just wi-fi. No go.

02-22-10 04:19 PM
    Service Books:
    Provisioning, nextel BIS, IPPP for BIBS, Browser config for 5 click, IPPP for 5 click, MMS Client, NFL Mobile Live, Navigation, software store, pocket express, WAP transport nextel, WAP browser nextel, WAP MMS Nextel, WAP push config, wi-fi tcp/ip browser and transport, home and blackberry email service books, WLM 2.1, BBFS 1 and 2, and lastly blackberry maps. Hope this helps. Also tried just wi-fi. No go.

Thanks for the info! It appears your 8350i is forcing our app to connect through Nextel BIS which we have no idea about its firewall.

You have other connections but they apparently are not allowed for apps. Your device allows LIP to pass through except gas price and traffic report servers.

8350i is a Nextel iDen network phone targeting special enterprise market. 8350i is rare and unique while LifeInPocket is a consumer product so we never tested it. Our verification engineering team will look into it to see it�s unique to your phone or a general Nextel 8350i issue.

This will take some time, can you sign-in to https://lifeinpocket.com/html/ to file a beta feedback so we can establish a tracking number and get back to you later.

Thanks in advance!
    02-22-10 05:46 PM
    Service Books:

Our verification engineering tested 8350i without any issue. Traffic reports and cheap gas finder both work like a champ. They also figured out your issue is likely caused by nextel BIS blocked connection.

The difference between the 8350i we tested and your 8350i is the service book. You need to ask Sprint Nextel to add direct TCP to your service book so LIP will connect through direct TCP in case Nextel BIS blocks it.
    02-23-10 07:36 PM
    Our verification engineering tested 8350i without any issue. Traffic reports and cheap gas finder both work like a champ. They also figured out your issue is likely caused by nextel BIS blocked connection.

The difference between the 8350i we tested and your 8350i is the service book. You need to ask Sprint Nextel to add direct TCP to your service book so LIP will connect through direct TCP in case Nextel BIS blocks it.
    Hello lawden,

Please confirm that you understand the solution we proposed!

We suspect US Cellular devices' cannot get traffic report is caused by USC BIS blocking the connection too. If USC user ask USC to add direct TCP to the address book, it may solve the issue.

USC is a small regional carrier if any USC user can give this a try then report back it will be highly appreciated!
    Last edited by RoadComm Beta Team; 02-25-10 at 02:55 PM.
    02-24-10 12:22 PM
    Hey there RoadComm Beta Team!

We're happy you've taken an interest in Poynt, but allow me to clear up some confusion regarding a few of your points:

You can one click search with LIP but with Poynt you have to type
    While it is true that for business search you need to type, there are a number of conveniences we put in place to make searching easier. For example, there is an auto-complete feature for previous search terms so that simply typing the first few letters will bring up previous terms, much like how the browser works. Additionally, users have the convenience of typing specific business names, or alternatively, categories.

In our movies section, searches are performed by single click action. This is similar to the restaurant section, where most of our users tend to gravitate towards searching for cuisines first, and then finding local restaurants matching a cuisine.

LIP can save search results to "Favorite Business" folder while Poynt cannot.
    This is true, Poynt does not have a favourite business folder inside the app. Instead, we opted to go with the integrated device experience and allow users to save these businesses directly to their address book.

You can search using any address or marked location with LIP but Poynt cannot
    There may be some confusion here. Poynt will allow you to search from any location via address, zip code, and even off business, personal, restaurant, gas and theatre listings. You can do this by clicking New Search Location from the top location bar, or from the global application menu. Additionally, you can choose a location from blackberry maps by clicking anywhere on the map and selecting Poynt From Here. We also allow users to select locations from the address book by selecting an address and clicking Poynt From Here from the menu.

You can save your search criteria while Poynt cannot
    Please see my comment above about auto-complete

You can open any BB contacts from LIP and use the address for search but you cannot do that with Poynt
    Please see my comment above about using a listing from the address book as your search location in Poynt.

LIP offers comprehensive business ratings and reviews but Poynt doesn't
    This is true, for now, but we do offer reviews for restaurants and movies.

Poynt cannot use address to search
    Please see my comment above about how to search from a specific address.

Hope this clears up any confusion!
    02-26-10 12:02 PM
    Hi. I'm from italy, using storm 9500 and Vodafone Italy..
    As reported by other users, I receive "Network Error" on every operation, so I think it could be some Vodafone firewall or so on...
    But, if you support this app even for italy, i can try doing some experiment (with you) to try solve this problem.
    let me know.
    04-14-10 02:24 AM
    Thanks for offering to help! At this moment, LifeInPocket support US only but we are developing new versions for other country. That's probably why you are experiencing network error. Will definitely take your offer when we have Italian version ready for testing.
    04-14-10 07:11 PM
    Just a quick comment on LifeInPocket. Would be a great app, but for the connection time. 59 seconds to connect to the server is too long, especially in a place that has cell towers about every 2 miles. Out in the middle of nowhere, I can understand. Also, constantly get network unavailable, check back later responses. Sometimes you can check back right away and you connect, other times takes forever to connect. Satellites are the same way. This would be a great app, worth the paying for, but not as inconsistent as the performance is now. If you need directions someplace, you really don't want to sit and wait 10 minutes for the server or satellite to decide to answer. Think I'll stick to taking my Garmin and relying on Poynt software....doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but at least it does connect.
    07-12-10 02:27 PM
    The network connection time is not depends on the app but depends on the signal strength and how many people are sharing same bandwidth with you.

Most poorly designed app won't check signal strength prior to conection and it may lead to trouble and even screw up the BlackBerry OS.

Just like BlackBerry browser and other native apps, LifeInPocket is one of very few apps check network availability prior to connection. This yields to faster connection and avoiding troubles.

LifeInPocket connection time is less than one seconds but the total connection time depends on the data size and bandwidth your device you have at the moment of connection.

Normally, it should take 3 to 6 seconds to calculate and retrieve a navigation route.

Once you find a preferred restaurant, you can select "Take me there" and the voice direction will take you there. You don;t need to enter anything or even look at the map.

Of cause you can always open GMaps or BB Maps from LifeInPocket.
    07-12-10 02:47 PM
    That is the point, I can, like other open another app to get the information. So why use LifeInPocket? When I have full power and it take anywhere for 46 to over a minute just to connect to the server...there is a problem. Especially when there is no lag time connecting to the internet, or to any other apps. And before someone says re-boot...I have. I have also un-installed and re-installed. This isn't to say that this is a bad app, because it isn't. It would be a great app...just not as it stands right now. Something is not right about the connections. If I were having the same problem with other apps....it would be the phone or me. But, I have no problems with other app, including other gps apps. They all work smoothlessly.

This isn't a knock against the software. It just needs more work to make it more consistent. When I can connect as fast, or nearly as fast as google maps or Poynt for that matter, then I will be the first to say it is well worth buying. Until then, it just would not be worth the price...really any price. Just way too unpredictable at the present time. Just my opinion...and I've been trying it for over a month now.
    07-12-10 03:11 PM
    I don't know what you are talking about! I think you are talking about other app.

LifeInPocket in know to be fast and reliable.

LifeInPocket takes only less less than a second to connect to server. I know you are very new to CB, what's your phone model and carrier? We will be glad to help if you can provide more info such as it the detail steps to duplicate your issue!

Cheers
    07-12-10 04:04 PM
    Ok, #1 I'm not new to Blackberry, just this forum, #2 my latest phone is a Bold 9700, #3 the carrier is AT&T.

Now as to AT&T, I have not (unlike many others), ever had a problem with any phone I have had thru AT&T. And I have had an AT&T cell phone for nearly 21 years. My first was an actually car phone. I have full bars where I am located, probably has to do with being an old Ohio Bell area.

I have Google mobile, Google maps, Poynt, Twitter and Facebook etc. All connect both thru mobile network and/or wifi seamlessly. Never a problem. I have uninstalled and re-installed the product twice. Pulled the battery both times. Permissions are all set to allow. Checked my service books, no problem there. Checked mobile network options, all are on.

If I were having a problem with any other app connecting, I would believe it is either the carrrier or the phone settings....I have no problems with other apps.

I am not slamming LifeInPocket. It could be a very good application. But, all apps need to be tweaked a bit. I have read the reviews of the app, and they are all good. Seems a little strange that they are all good....Micorsoft and Apple aren't even immune to negative reviews.
    ** Just got a SMS for Roadcomm. They say they have rarely heard of this. Then they say that some of they're user have deleted Poynt and the problem is resolved...so they have had the same problem before. And I am not the only one. So I will delete Poynt (I downloaded it because of the latency of LifeInPocket, I had LifeInPocket installed before Poynt), and see what happens. They also want me to download the new version .720 and re-install. They're too late, already did that this afternoon when I re-installed. Also, say that both Google maps and Poynt may use cell site location, which is not good enough for their app. Google maps, Google mobile and Poynt only use tower locations when they can get to the satellites. One has nothing to do with the other. If it did why does LifeInPocket use Google maps in the first place?***

Enough of this. This is a Beta app. If negative responses are not wanted, don't issue a beta version. Release a final version, charge for it and then handle the complaints as they come in. I will do as Roadcomm says and delete Poynt, delete their app, try to get LifeInPocket downloaded and re-install. But, no way will I delete Google maps..I'd be dead in the water.
    07-12-10 06:40 PM
    Ok, #1 I'm not new to Blackberry, just this forum, #2 my latest phone is a Bold 9700, #3 the carrier is AT&T.

Enough of this. This is a Beta app. If negative responses are not wanted, don't issue a beta version. Release a final version, charge for it and then handle the complaints as they come in. I will do as Roadcomm says and delete Poynt, delete their app, try to get LifeInPocket downloaded and re-install. But, no way will I delete Google maps..I'd be dead in the water.
    Rick,

Don't feel singled out as this kind of response has been documented several times already from this same software co. As long as you only ask questions you will get vaguely self-serving answers that will tout all the wonderful benefits of the software with maybe a hint of an answer to your question. Say something constructively negative about the product and be prepared to be talked to as if you are ignorant, lying or an infiltrator from the competition.

I happen to think they have some fantastic ideas in their software, but for me it was incredibly busy and overly complex. To each his own. But, if you are going to put out a product, you must be prepared to listen, with respect, to any and all criticisms by the people who take the time to install and test and then report what they find, whether it be good or bad.
    07-13-10 07:46 AM
    Dear pwerry of Poynt Team,

Thank you for being interested in LifeInPocket and spending time to explain in this LifeInPocket thread.

Please note LifeInPocket does not intend to compete with other apps, instead it's designed to enrich people's life!

We made those comparison simply to address users' question.

Cheers

We're happy you've taken an interest in Poynt, but allow me to clear up some confusion regarding a few of your points:

While it is true that for business search you need to type, there are a number of conveniences we put in place to make searching easier. For example, there is an auto-complete feature for previous search terms so that simply typing the first few letters will bring up previous terms, much like how the browser works. Additionally, users have the convenience of typing specific business names, or alternatively, categories.

In our movies section, searches are performed by single click action. This is similar to the restaurant section, where most of our users tend to gravitate towards searching for cuisines first, and then finding local restaurants matching a cuisine.

This is true, Poynt does not have a favourite business folder inside the app. Instead, we opted to go with the integrated device experience and allow users to save these businesses directly to their address book.

There may be some confusion here. Poynt will allow you to search from any location via address, zip code, and even off business, personal, restaurant, gas and theatre listings. You can do this by clicking New Search Location from the top location bar, or from the global application menu. Additionally, you can choose a location from blackberry maps by clicking anywhere on the map and selecting Poynt From Here. We also allow users to select locations from the address book by selecting an address and clicking Poynt From Here from the menu.

Please see my comment above about using a listing from the address book as your search location in Poynt.

07-13-10 10:27 AM
    Ok, I have held off posting anything else about LifeInPocket to give all of the fixes Roadcomm said I should try. Yesterday, service was hit and miss. It was extremely cloudy around here, so I gave it the benefit of the doubt. Today, mostly sunny. Very few clouds. Outside in a wide open RV lot. Not a tall building or tree around. Tried a simple thing...traffic. Network not available try again later, gave up after 4 tries. Next I tried change my location, connecting satellites ....... never connected. Tried again.....connecting to satellites.....network unavailable...try again later. Waited a few minutes...same thing...finally had to re-boot...totally locked up the machine.

And remember, anytime I would connect to Google mobile....for anything.....it connected within about 2 seconds. Even the GPS on LifeInPocket......connecting to satellites....then network unavailable...finally got a different message when checking traffic....checking databases....then got network unavailable.

As I said followed their instructions...deleted Poynt, even deleted Bolt and re-booted. Not once but twice. This would be an extremely nice application, not bragging on Poynt, but the people there should look at some of the features and add them. But at least Poynt, Google mobile and the other apps I have all work consistently. Or at least 99% of the time. Don't get me wrong, all software has problems...especially in the beta stages. And all servers, go down or get overloaded. Understandable. But, if you have to unload other software, or pull batteries every time you want an application to work...what good is it?

This could be must have software...it just isn't read for primetime just yet. If someone doesn't like the negative comments, so be it. Then fix the problems. As I said before, I get a funny feeling when everybody give glowing reviews, but says nothing negative.....no software does all thing perfectly for all people. And when a company tells me first they have rarely seen this problem, but in the same sentence say most of our users have found deleting Poynt, pulling the battery etc corrects the problem...they obviously know there is a problem.

I will delete LifeInPocket, and give it a try again later. Perhaps they will have the bugs worked out. But until then, I'll just have to stick with Google Mobile and Poynt. They don't have nearly the features of LifeInPocket, but they work.
    07-14-10 11:01 AM
    We cannot duplicate your issue and we have not hear any other reports like this among hundreds of thousands of our users.

Are you running 0.720?
    07-14-10 11:15 AM
    Hi pwerry of Poynt,

Please talk to your associates and hope they can disclose their affiliation when post just like yourself!

Cheers,

07-14-10 11:25 AM
    Yes, 0.720. Then why was I sent a message from Roadcomm support, telling me to dump the Poynt application, download 0.720, pull the battery and restart, because this is a memory lead and "other users have reported this seemed to solve the problem"? Obviously, someone there has heard of it before. And, no I don't believe it's the phone, nor the carrier. If that were the case I'd be having all kinds of problems with other apps.

I will dump LifeInPocket and check back in a few weeks. If there is a new version, I'll download it and try again. Belief me, if it works even 99% of the time, I'll be right back on her giving it my glowing review.

But until then, I'll just wait.
    07-14-10 12:12 PM
    This is my last word on this. I have now also loaded up BTSidekick. BTSidekick as well as Poynt and all of the Google apps, load in now more than 4 seconds...flat. Mobile network runs between 5 and 7 seconds, but GPS 3 to4 seconds. LifeInPocket connected...connecting to satellites.....finally connected in 47 seconds.

I'm not going to comment on this anymore. I'll keep checking on newer versions of LifeInPocket, because I do like it. Hopefully, the problems will be worked out.
    07-14-10 01:45 PM
    Correction...this will be my last. Have just gone thru my event log. At least 45 Java Exception entries....all LifeInPocket. NullPointerException. My pin is 2213C974. If RoadComm will send me an email, I'll send you one of the entries before I clean up the log.
    07-14-10 02:00 PM
    Re above: I have save 2 event log entries. Both java nullpointerexceptions. Both listed as severe errors. This software is filling my event log with these error, even though I have exited the application. I'm not fooling with it anymore....it's coming off my blackberry.
    07-14-10 02:21 PM
    I used to be a die hard Poynt fan but Poynt froze my BB once a while. It also drains battery fast.
    I have been using life in a pocket for months and I have not seen any problem so far. It's my favorite!
    07-14-10 06:09 PM
    I agree. LIP has grown exponentially better in the last 2 months.
    07-14-10 08:54 PM
90 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD