A client of mine gave me his 6month old BB Storm. I think it is a regular storm not a storm II. Anyway, if it was on Verizon, can any other carrier set it up for me on their service? preferable with a pay as you go account? I am trying to not interfere with my credit at ALL since I am going to finance having a house built on my 10 acres of land this Summer....

thanks!
    05-26-10 04:22 PM
    I called Verizon and had my Storm 2 unlocked without any problem. The walked me through the steps and it only took a few minutes. However, I haven't tried it on another carrier yet but plan on within the next few days.
    05-26-10 04:49 PM
    I called Verizon and had my Storm 2 unlocked without any problem. The walked me through the steps and it only took a few minutes. However, I haven't tried it on another carrier yet but plan on within the next few days.
    Mines a 9530, is that a Storm or Storm II? BTW, thanks for the info.
    05-26-10 05:08 PM
    9530 is a CDMA Storm 1

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-10 08:24 PM
    As I recently found out CDMA carriers don't let you use other carriers phones on their services. If you have a GSM carrier though you should have no problem activating the phone on their services.
    05-26-10 08:37 PM
    9530 is a CDMA Storm 1

Mine says it is both....when I start it it asks me if I want it to use either network type. Plus when I googled the specs it says

Wireless Networks

* Quad-band: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM�/GPRS/EDGE networks
    * Single-band: 2100 MHz UMTS/HSPA networks
    * Dual-band: 800/1900/ MHz CDMA/Ev-DO Rev A networks
    05-27-10 11:02 AM
    If you want to use your Storm on a GSM carrier, you will need to unlock it first. AT&T does not offer any prepaid BIS. T-Mobile has something called FlexPay. I would suggest asking your question on the T-Mobile forum, since someone will probably be able to explain FlexPay better than me. I am an AT&T postpaid customer who has never used T-Mobile.
    05-27-10 11:05 AM
    Mine says it is both....when I start it it asks me if I want it to use either network type. Plus when I googled the specs it says

Wireless Networks

* Quad-band: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM�/GPRS/EDGE networks
    * Single-band: 2100 MHz UMTS/HSPA networks
    * Dual-band: 800/1900/ MHz CDMA/Ev-DO Rev A networks
    Yes that is true, the phone is able to get both GSM and CDMA. On Verizon (or Sprint), it uses the CDMA band, and on other carriers it is on the GSM band(s). However, you cannot use the Storm on another CDMA network other than Verizon, but it can be unlocked to access GSM and therefore be used on T-Mobile or AT&T.
    05-27-10 11:53 AM
    I said it was a CDMA phone because of an app I would really like but won't work on my 9530

Superstore
    VERY IMPORTANT: This application does NOT work on BlackBerry smartphones that support CDMA or iDEN network (for example, Verizon and Sprint are CDMA networks, so all devices using these networks are not supported).
    05-28-10 05:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD