Hi all,

Just arrived in the states, originally from Dublin.

I need to get a personal mobile phone and had pretty much decided on Virgin's $35 plan with a BB, I won't be making much in the way of calls for the time being, but will want to use the net a lot, so it suits me down to the ground.

Was all set to go, until I spotted one caveat, it costs 15c to recieve international texts. (seems very poor from Virgin as you've no control over receiving texts)

A lot of people use the web these days, but I'll still be getting a lot of international texts. I'd guess at least 150 a month, which at 15c a pop, will add a fortune to my bill!

So people, what can be done? Something like Google Voice sounded perfect. Is there another way I can both send and receive international texts on my BB?
    08-25-10 12:23 AM
    Have people send you email instead.

They can use the SMS gateway. xxxxxxxxxx@vmobl.com
    08-25-10 05:45 AM
    Thanks, but that doesn't solve the problem

The people who text me, in the main, don't have data plans on their phones (for instance, my mother). Texting is therefore much more convenient for them.
    08-25-10 06:15 AM
    You really are out of luck if you can't get these people to change habbits.

having your mother pick up a Blackberry with the lowest possible dataplan just for BBM could work out cheaper in the long run.

Txt messaging is a huge cash cow for teleco's
    08-25-10 08:10 AM
    I've noticed a lot (through my family) that BB hasn't really caught on too much in Ireland. Tis a shame.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-10 08:52 AM
    She's just about mastered texting, and I'm using "mastered" in its loosest sense! There are still abbreviations she comes up with which I can make neither head nor tail of.

Still amazed you can have a receiving text charge ...plan B, are there any providers which don't charge you?
    08-25-10 05:36 PM
    I've noticed a lot (through my family) that BB hasn't really caught on too much in Ireland. Tis a shame.

Those Irish tisk tisk.

The Brits seemed to see the future and jumped onto Blackberry's
    08-25-10 05:42 PM
    Still amazed you can have a receiving text charge ...plan B, are there any providers which don't charge you?
    AT&T doesn't charge you extra to receive international messages, they just come out of your normal messaging plan.

Not sure about other carriers, but I suspect that the big four (Verizon, T-mobile, and Sprint, in addition to AT&T) do not charge you to receive international messages.
    08-25-10 06:24 PM
    Those Irish tisk tisk.

The Brits seemed to see the future and jumped onto Blackberry's

I hear the Canadians type with one figure.

08-25-10 07:33 PM
    It's probably different in Canada, but Rogers offers US and International text messaging plans and packages. Even if there's a charge with your US carrier of choice, there may be a package or plan to make it cheaper.
    08-25-10 07:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD