I have a 8310 (curve) and my GPS receiver is enabled, but I don't have internet or GPS from AT&T because I don't want to pay the fee. Is there a free GPS app. that I can download from my computer? All I can find is the ones that you download OTA or over the air. I can't do that because I don't have internet on my phone. So does anyone know of a free GPS app. that I can download to my computer and then put it on my phone?
    11-08-09 11:04 PM
    Try Amaze. Do a google search for it. It works fairly well - not as intuitive as a pay app, but not bad.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-09 11:08 PM
    Here you go. There's also Gomyko at appworld that has a free trial period.
    http://wap.amazegps.com/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-09 11:12 PM
    Like I said guys I don't have internet on my phone and I have tried amaze from my computer. When I get it on my phone the program wants to connect to the internet to download more files.
    11-09-09 07:41 AM
    I don't know of any GPS apps that reside solely on the phone and don't connect to the internet to get new mapping or points of interest.
    Maps, can take hundreds of megabytes to store, something the phone really isn't set up for. So I don't think you're going to find something that'll allow you to use your phone as a gps without internet connecting since most apps just load the maps relevant to the area you're in at the time.

Good Luck, if you do find something, let us know.
    11-09-09 07:58 AM
    I have been told that the BlackBerry will not work without the internet.

Now, just because someone told me this, doesn't mean it is fact.

But I think that alot of these programs are baised on getting info from the internet.
    11-09-09 08:47 AM
    The BB itself will work fine without the 'internet'. after all, it's a phone. What the issue is that the data used by most map programs needs to be updated to the phone. without that, they're useless. The BB GPS itself will give you Lats and Longs, but not much else. there is GPS logger that will track your path while driving, hiking, etc, which you can then send as an email to yourself then import into google maps.

Recent policy changes by various carriers mean that they will no longer sell you a BB WITHOUT a data plan. Which makes sense in my opinion. $199 for a phone that will only make calls or send txt is a bit much. A free phone would do the same.
    11-09-09 10:19 AM
    I have a 8310 (curve) and my GPS receiver is enabled, but I don't have internet or GPS from AT&T because I don't want to pay the fee. Is there a free GPS app. that I can download from my computer? All I can find is the ones that you download OTA or over the air. I can't do that because I don't have internet on my phone. So does anyone know of a free GPS app. that I can download to my computer and then put it on my phone?

I am going to be REALLY stupid here but IF you have a Blackberry you SHOULD be paying for the data plan...if you are not then why have the Blackberry. If you have the data plan then you have unlimited internet. If you do not have the unlimited data plan then either buy the plan or get a "dumb phone" and that will allow you to use GPS but overall if you want to use GPS your probably going to have to have internet regardless.
    11-11-09 02:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD