Hi guys,

I'm one of the Playbook noobs who's so happy with that device that I'm considering a BB phone to go with it (I need a new phone anyway).

So I know that BB can't do skype (at least not in Canada), but can you access gmail using data or wifi only to make free calls like I can from my PC?

The bottom line is that I want to make VOIP calls, preferably with my data plan. I can do it with an iphone today using skpe. A BB with gmail calling would be even better.

Thanks in advance!
    11-30-11 09:32 PM
    Nope, no can do with gmail calling on a blackberry. I have spent lots of time trying to find a voip app for blackberry. I found one (Blackvoib.com) that definately works on my BB9700. Blackvoib also has voip apps for os6 and os7. I could not get the OS7 one to work on my BB9930 . I think they have problems getting their app to work on CDMA phones. GSM phones seem to work great. You can go to their site (Blackvoib.com) and check it out. THey have a free license for 14 days. It is really easy to set up but you will need a free phone number from a SIP provider. I used both IP comms.net and Sipgate.com. Both of those sites will give you a free phone number with free incoming calls only but Blackvoib,via Gvoice callback, will allow you to place out calls for free. You can call OTA or via wifi. If the apps works for you then you can buy it for $30.00 one time payment. I have taken my BB9700 off the network and can still make/recieve free phone calls via wifi.
    12-01-11 10:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD