When they say a device has 256 flash memory, how much of it is used as RAM? Let's say I use 100 mb for installed apps of my 256 mb, do I still have 256 RAM or 156 RAM?
    09-01-10 03:04 AM
    BB devices store the operating system and 3rd party apps in what you call RAM or flash memory. All programs/apps are then executed from there directly. So, in the above example you have 156 RAM avail to store more apps.

Also, keep in mind all browser cache, cookies, logs and anything pushed (email, SMS, MMS and other things) reside in the RAM as well.

If you have 1 or 2 or whatever Gig internal memory, the remainder is ROM and available for music, Pictures, Video and documents; basically what you would think the SD card is for.

Mind blowing, I know. There has to be a reason RIM does it this way, but as yet, I have not discovered that reason.
    09-01-10 05:22 AM
    BB devices store the operating system and 3rd party apps in what you call RAM or flash memory. All programs/apps are then executed from there directly. So, in the above example you have 156 RAM avail to store more apps.

Also, keep in mind all browser cache, cookies, logs and anything pushed (email, SMS, MMS and other things) reside in the RAM as well.

If you have 1 or 2 or whatever Gig internal memory, the remainder is ROM and available for music, Pictures, Video and documents; basically what you would think the SD card is for.

Mind blowing, I know. There has to be a reason RIM does it this way, but as yet, I have not discovered that reason.
    Not exactly...all the messages, OS, JVM, emails, apps etc are stored in FLASH memory (non-volatile long-term storage) and then loaded into SDRAM as necessary (just like a real computer) check the engineering screens, it even differentiates between "flash" and "RAM"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-10 07:36 AM
    I just want to have some fun...

Everything inside the BB is RAM. Even that flash card you store media on. It's not ROM, ROM means read only.

It's all RAM.
    09-01-10 09:25 AM
    Reading this thread made me more confused, haha
    09-01-10 09:28 AM
    Reading this thread made me more confused, haha
    I'm just being an arse and pointing out that by definition flash memory, SDRAM, etc. are all actually defined as RAM. There are distinctions between them but in the end it's all RAM.
    09-01-10 09:30 AM
    Ok thanks, things are a bit more clear now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-10 12:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD