First of all, hello!
    This is my first post on this forum, but I have been fooling around for quite a bit

I'm new to BBs and have used this forum to help getting started and get the most out of my smartphone (you certainly dont want to use a smartphone like you would use a dumbphone do you?)

Sooo!

My BB is wi-fi enabled and my home router (WT54GS) is all good to go. I have a basic unlimited email data plan with Rogers and the bberry is set to Wi-Fi prefered.

1- If I'm at home and the bberry is connected to my wireless, do I basically get free phone calls thru IP or do I also have to pay Rogers for the data (kbps) used for the call?

If its the later, that would mean I'm paying twice for the bandwidth (1 for my ISP and 1 for Rogers's data..) and that wouldnt be cool I tell ya!

The same applies to browsing. Is it free when I'm on wi-fi or do I still pay for the data used? (given that I manually switch between edge and wifi for browsing)

2- this question is linked to the former; Do I have to have an unlimited data plan to get UMA on wifi or is it inherent to wifi usage?

Th-th-thats all folks!
    thanks!
    12-30-08 12:09 AM
    My understanding is with rogers wifi uma,
    - your web type data is free,
    - your UMA calls are considered part of your regular plan minutes
    - But if you subscribe to the rogers $15mo talkspot plan, your calls are unlimited.

For me rogers talkspot is not worth $15mo, if I am near my wifi I'm also near Skype on my computer.
    12-30-08 12:16 AM
    thanks alot warwick!

that means I can use the browser to install OTA 3rdp apps directly on my bberry but I better not use the phone to make calls except passed 6pm when my call plan gives me unlimited calls.
    12-30-08 07:59 AM
    UMA means I can get reliable service despite living in the deep fringe reception area. One bar would be a good day, often no signal at all.

Your 8220, like my 8120, has been authorized to activate UMA while connected through Wifi. All of your voice and data are carried by your ISP at your expense.

If you do select the TalkSpot option, you will have unlimited local/national calling, but your data use is still counted against your contracted data bucket.
    12-30-08 10:28 AM
    UMA means I can get reliable service despite living in the deep fringe reception area. One bar would be a good day, often no signal at all.

Your 8220, like my 8120, has been authorized to activate UMA while connected through Wifi. All of your voice and data are carried by your ISP at your expense.

If you do select the TalkSpot option, you will have unlimited local/national calling, but your data use is still counted against your contracted data bucket.
    Not sure I understand what you mean here

with wifi set as prefered and in a wireless zone, my carrier allows me to activate UMA and use my ISP bandwidth for phone calls instead of minutes on my carriers's plan. Is that it?

What exactly is Talkspot then? and what do you mean by "you will have unlimited local/national calling, but your data use is still counted against your contracted data bucket"?

Thanks!

ps: my "data plan" is limited to "unlimited email". does that hinder the wifi use?
    Last edited by Lonic; 12-30-08 at 03:52 PM.
    12-30-08 03:49 PM
    Not sure I understand what you mean here

with wifi set as prefered and in a wireless zone, my carrier allows me to activate UMA and use my ISP bandwidth for phone calls instead of minutes on my carriers's plan. Is that it?
    Your 8220 is one of the BlackBerrys from Rogers that is registered for UMA. It will use UMA when available, but your contracted minutes will still be used.

You will experience a high quality voice and fast data, but there are no discounts for using UMA.

What exactly is Talkspot then? and what do you mean by "you will have unlimited local/national calling, but your data use is still counted against your contracted data bucket"?

Thanks!

ps: my "data plan" is limited to "unlimited email". does that hinder the wifi use?

TalkSpot is an add on plan, available for the UMA enabled phones. TalkSpot provides unlimited national calling without using the contract plan minutes.

If you have unlimited email, that mean BlackBerry BIS service for email and BlackBerry Messenger service. The Internet Browser is not included in your plan, but you do have unlimited Hotspot Browser.

Talkspot is similar to the Hotspot package offered by T-Mobile USA, but differs in a couple critical aspects.

Hotspot users get unlimited data, Talkspot uses accumulate data against their contracted data plan. I have the 6 Gb plan, so that will never be an issue.

The other difference, Hotspot users can use UMA internationally to call back to the US. Talkspot users are limited to Canada only. Pity.
    12-30-08 04:16 PM
    Wow.

that is one amazingly clear answer! Thanks alot, you clarified things aton for me! Long live crackberry moderator writing in green
    12-30-08 10:29 PM
    That answered a question i had aswell. I want to upgrade my BB, but am torn between the bold and 8900. I'm intrested in the 8900 for UMA, but was not intrested in the talkspot plan. I get poor (-90dBm) reception in my basement, so was hoping i could use UMA instead. I am mostly home evenings and weekends, when I have unlimited minutes, and also have the 6GB data plan, so I don't care if UMA uses my contract minutes/data.
    01-03-09 09:15 AM
    Poor signal coverage is cured and Quality of Service is boosted.

Talkspot is optional, Wifi in support of UMA is a feature of the 8900, but not the Bold 9000.

Wow.

that is one amazingly clear answer! Thanks alot, you clarified things aton for me! Long live crackberry moderator writing in green
    Merci, mon ami.

Views: 220
    The value of an open forum is well illistrated here. Your quesiton opened a discussion that is read by many. The many learn and share the knowledge.

Makes us unique as a species too.

01-03-09 11:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD