Just got this notification....

Free BBM Stickers from BlackBerry-img_20150923_204353.png

Posted via CB10
    KarateHottie93 likes this.
    09-23-15 01:45 PM
    I think the more they give away and create some use... the more they might end up making.
    09-23-15 01:47 PM
    09-23-15 03:33 PM
    I deleted it without opening and was almost ticked off enough about the notification to delete BBM.

Who the heck told BlackBerry that the best way to monetize BBM was stickers?!

I would easily pay $10 a year NOT to be spammed, but will never buy a Flippin sticker since I'm not a 10 year old Japanese girl...no offense meant to Japanese girls or other users of stickers. I just don't get it, I guess.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-15 03:56 PM
    09-23-15 04:02 PM
    I deleted it without opening and was almost ticked off enough about the notification to delete BBM.

I would easily pay $10 a year NOT to be spammed, but will never buy a Flippin sticker since I'm not a 10 year old Japanese girl...no offense meant to Japanese girls or other users of stickers. I just don't get it, I guess.

Posted via CB10
    Didn't read?
    It says down the bottom, this was sent according to BBM terms of service...

There is a no-ads subscription. I'm not sure whether above ^ counts as such there. It's a dollar a month, so you're pretty close with your $10 bux. Go and do BlackBerry and yourself a favor.

No need to delete ... :-D

�   Leakers' gonna leak... :-)   �
    09-23-15 04:25 PM
    Weird thing. We get something FREE and peeps are worried about monetization? 8-o

:-D
    Don't quite understand. Yeah, it's an ad, and tap, and it's gone...

�   Leakers' gonna leak... :-)   �
    09-23-15 04:27 PM
    It's free
    09-23-15 04:58 PM
    Just got this notification....

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the heads up! I rarely open the app, would've missed it.
    09-23-15 04:59 PM

Posted via CB10
    Jesus Christ, dude, if a friendly notification telling you that you can download free stickers IF YOU WANT is enough to send you into a rage, I'd be too scared to observe your daily life. You do realize that it's not just 10-year-old Japanese girls who use stickers, right? I'm American, but I live and work in Japan and have traveled all around East Asia. Yes, 10-year-old Japanese girls do use stickers, and so do 20-, 30-, and 40-year-old men and women in each country I've been in (yes, Western countries, too). It's just communication. Get over it.

Posted via CB10
    TCB on Z10 and gokulesh like this.
    09-23-15 06:51 PM
    Well, maybe it is just me then. But my issue is that I want to use BBM with my clients, and I can't recommend a product that spams them with sticker advertisements, because it's pretty unprofessional in the context of my industry. And while I can pay to avoid spam, I can't pay for their BBM subscriptions very easily.

So, instead of promoting BBM to the small and medium business executives I work with, I have returned to SMS messaging and email. Stickers just seem consumer-oriented and unprofessional to me. Off-brand for BlackBerry.

If you think that stickers are professional, then try expensing the cost of them to your company, and see what your boss thinks.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-15 08:26 PM
    Jesus Christ, dude, if a friendly notification telling you that you can download free stickers IF YOU WANT is enough to send you into a rage, I'd be too scared to observe your daily life. You do realize that it's not just 10-year-old Japanese girls who use stickers, right? I'm American, but I live and work in Japan and have traveled all around East Asia. Yes, 10-year-old Japanese girls do use stickers, and so do 20-, 30-, and 40-year-old men and women in each country I've been in (yes, Western countries, too). It's just communication. Get over it.

Posted via CB10
    It shouldn't be a damn notification that looks like a contact sent you a message. Chen has cheapened and ruined the BBM experience with these lame stickers, and he is ruining handsets with Android.

Posted via Z30
    09-23-15 09:20 PM
    I love the stickers! 46 of them so far..woohooo!

  
    09-24-15 12:05 AM
    It shouldn't be a damn notification that looks like a contact sent you a message. Chen has cheapened and ruined the BBM experience with these lame stickers, and he is ruining handsets with Android.

Posted via Z30
    Um... it doesn't look like a contact sent you a message. It looks like BlackBerry sent you a notification. It's visually marked to NOT look like a message from a regular contact. But, if you and others are so offended by the presence of stickers, then by all means stay away from BBM, LINE, KakaoTalk, WeChat, and every other messenger with stickers and/or cutesy emoticons. Last I checked, that's actually all of them. While you're at it, stay away from cartoons and anything animated, sweets, video games, comic books, theme parks, and basically anything fun.

Well, maybe it is just me then. But my issue is that I want to use BBM with my clients, and I can't recommend a product that spams them with sticker advertisements, because it's pretty unprofessional in the context of my industry. And while I can pay to avoid spam, I can't pay for their BBM subscriptions very easily.

So, instead of promoting BBM to the small and medium business executives I work with, I have returned to SMS messaging and email. Stickers just seem consumer-oriented and unprofessional to me. Off-brand for BlackBerry.

If you think that stickers are professional, then try expensing the cost of them to your company, and see what your boss thinks.

Posted via CB10
    That logic makes absolutely NO sense. If you want to argue whether or not something is "consumer-oriented," I have news for you, pal. EVERYTHING is consumer-oriented. Every single form of communication is geared towards making money one way or another. I mean, Christ, you may as well avoid TV, the Internet, and basically all forms of modern communication because they are all all consumer-oriented and all, I'm sure, have aspects that you would consider unprofessional. Yes, that includes text messaging. Honestly, do the business execs you work with have sticks so far up their butts that they would actually scoff at BBM for having stickers that they don't even have to buy or look at like some stereotypical British aristocratic repeatedly blabbing, "Well... I never!" Where do you work at, a morgue?

You guys are like Egon from Ghostbusters when he says, "My parents didn't believe in toys." He follows that up with, "We had part of a slinky, but I straightened it."

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Captain_Hilts; 09-24-15 at 02:25 AM.
    09-24-15 12:24 AM
    Um... it doesn't look like a contact sent you a message. It looks like BlackBerry sent you a notification. It's visually marked to NOT look like a message from a regular contact. But, if you and others are so offended by the presence of stickers, then by all means stay away from BBM, LINE, KakaoTalk, WeChat, and every other messenger with stickers and/or cutesy emoticons. Last I checked, that's actually all of them. While you're at it, stay away from cartoons and anything animated, sweets, video games, comic books, theme parks, and basically anything fun.

That logic makes absolutely NO sense. If you want to argue whether or not something is "consumer-oriented," I have news for you, pal. EVERYTHING is consumer-oriented. Every single form of communication is geared towards making money one way or another. I mean, Christ, you may as well avoid TV, the Internet, and basically all forms of modern communication because they are all all consumer-oriented and all, I'm sure, have aspects that you would consider unprofessional. Yes, that includes text messaging. Honestly, do the business execs you work with have sticks so far up their butts that they would actually scoff at BBM for having stickers that they don't even have to buy or look at like some stereotypical British aristocratic repeatedly blabbing, "Well... I never!" Where do you work at, a morgue?

You guys are like Egon from Ghostbusters when he says, "My parents didn't believe in toys." He follows that up with, "We had part of a slinky, but I straightened it."

Posted via CB10
    No its not that. I have my bosses asking me if you can disable stickers and/or the BBM shop on their work issued, BES enabled, BlackBerry devices. They say it is annoying and childish. I get that they are huge in Asian markets which you can clearly tell the majority of stickers are made for, that BlackBerry has lost most of the market share they had anyways. But there are lot of things that are popular in Asia that people don't want in other markets. Give people the ability to disable this crap if they don't want it. I open my BBM and there is a stupid spark for the store every other time about some new F'ing sticker pack. I'm never going to buy one, so stop harassing me multiple times a day to do look at the stupid store. The spark has always been for important communications, but that too has been cheapened. I should never have a spark notification unless it is a communication from someone, not BlackBerry, and not stickers.

And maybe Egon's parents weren't wrong if he was making unlicensed nuclear particle accelerators!

Posted via Z30
    09-24-15 05:43 AM
    Consumer market = personal $
    Professional market = business $

BBM will never be competitive in the consumer space, because it's too hard to add contacts and consumers are happy to use their phone numbers as their IDs.

BBM's only chance of finding a niche is to appeal to business users for professional communication. These users will not use stickers with their bosses and clients.

In the industries where I consult (health care, transportation engineering, and workplace training), people don't use stickers in their IMs at work, so advertising stickers is bad business because it makes people think that BBM is for fun, not work.

BBM should be like LinkedIn, while WhatsApp is like (and owned by) Facebook. I wouldn't add emoji or stickers to my LinkedIn profile, because it looks unprofessional. BBM looks unprofessional when they advertise stickers.

If all BlackBerry wants BBM to succeed in the consumer market (which they have 0% chance of succeeding in), then they should definitely market the heck out of stickers! But they SAY BBM is for work, and that's what's inconsistent, IMO.

In any case, I won't ask my clients to use a product that sends them sticker ads because it's not professional. If BlackBerry is OK with that, then so am I, but I think it's bad business strategy.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 07:51 AM
    Maybe you should try a decaf? Just relax man...can't believe you spent all that time writing these useless posts because of the BB freebies? Really!? That bored?
    Last edited by fadmin; 09-24-15 at 08:15 AM.
    09-24-15 08:04 AM
    All these people screaming about stickers and unprofessional while typing on their Windows XP laptops let me make something clear to you.

The younger people use iPhones and Android and they are not going to use BBM.

If you are in an "industry" that needs instant messaging, you will be forced to use Microsoft Office communicator which is the case at my work.

What a **** job this must be that a pack of sour faces are running around saying who is cool or not based on whether they use a sticker.

People will carry two phones as always. One to please people like you which never gets touched except when they have to and one that is their actual device that gets used for everything.

Posted via CB10
    Captain_Hilts likes this.
    09-24-15 08:18 AM
    All people actually use stickers - consumer/professional/young old based on my experience from all over the world (more so in Asia). It's an ad and does not look like from a contact. Click on it and you have option to "save" or "delete". Click "delete" and it's gone like it was never there.

Get a grip folks.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 08:25 AM
    I wanted to add a postscript as well. I work in the financial industry so there are still a lot of managers using blackberry.

The company uses BES but they do NOT allow BBM in the "work space" or on corporate only devices. You have to use pin to pin if you know what you are doing. The recommended method of IM on BlackBerry devices is Microsoft Office communicator. The old one. The one that came out in the early 2000s.

I stopped using BlackBerry Balance because it infuriated me that the admins required a huge alpha password on my personal space with a low timeout. When I asked them why not change it to stop messing with my personal passwords they said some crap about security and that even tho I was right, to test changes costs $25,000 a pop.

What that means is that if I absolutely must check my email or calendar I use Good on the iPhone.

I do not use my BlackBerry with work even though I am allowed to as a BYOD device because of **** BES admins, **** corporate polices.

It's sticker whiners and complainers and people with lack of vision who screwed things up everywhere.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 08:31 AM
    I wanted to add a postscript as well. I work in the financial industry so there are still a lot of managers using blackberry.

The company uses BES but they do NOT allow BBM in the "work space" or on corporate only devices. You have to use pin to pin if you know what you are doing. The recommended method of IM on BlackBerry devices is Microsoft Office communicator. The old one. The one that came out in the early 2000s.

I stopped using BlackBerry Balance because it infuriated me that the admins required a huge alpha password on my personal space with a low timeout. When I asked them why not change it to stop messing with my personal passwords they said some crap about security and that even tho I was right, to test changes costs $25,000 a pop.

What that means is that if I absolutely must check my email or calendar I use Good on the iPhone.

I do not use my BlackBerry with work even though I am allowed to as a BYOD device because of **** BES admins, **** corporate polices.

It's sticker whiners and complainers and people with lack of vision who screwed things up everywhere.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for sharing. Now I understand your perspective, though I don't agree with it at all.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 10:21 AM
    No its not that. I have my bosses asking me if you can disable stickers and/or the BBM shop on their work issued, BES enabled, BlackBerry devices. They say it is annoying and childish.
    You mean... people like that actually exist?? They want to get rid of BBM because it has... *gasp* stickers?! Oh, the humanity!!

I thought people like that were just caricatures in movies that directors used when they needed simple, one-note villains. I guess it's true, you learn something new everyday!

I get that they are huge in Asian markets which you can clearly tell the majority of stickers are made for, that BlackBerry has lost most of the market share they had anyways. But there are lot of things that are popular in Asia that people don't want in other markets.
    You're clearly (I hope not intentionally) missing the point. Yes, stickers are huge in Asian markets. But - and here's the important part you're missing - they are huge in every other market on the face of the earth. This isn't something that Asia has a monopoly on, you know? Stickers, emojis, emoticons, etc are absolutely ubiquitous. Does that mean everyone has to use them? Absolutely not. But, it also doesn't mean that a few snobby corporate enclaves can lay claim to deciding whether or not BBM should have stickers based on selectively applied market share data.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 06:40 PM
    Consumer market = personal $
    Professional market = business $

BBM will never be competitive in the consumer space, because it's too hard to add contacts and consumers are happy to use their phone numbers as their IDs.

BBM's only chance of finding a niche is to appeal to business users for professional communication. These users will not use stickers with their bosses and clients.

In the industries where I consult (health care, transportation engineering, and workplace training), people don't use stickers in their IMs at work, so advertising stickers is bad business because it makes people think that BBM is for fun, not work.

BBM should be like LinkedIn, while WhatsApp is like (and owned by) Facebook. I wouldn't add emoji or stickers to my LinkedIn profile, because it looks unprofessional. BBM looks unprofessional when they advertise stickers.

If all BlackBerry wants BBM to succeed in the consumer market (which they have 0% chance of succeeding in), then they should definitely market the heck out of stickers! But they SAY BBM is for work, and that's what's inconsistent, IMO.

In any case, I won't ask my clients to use a product that sends them sticker ads because it's not professional. If BlackBerry is OK with that, then so am I, but I think it's bad business strategy.

Posted via CB10
    Damn. Just... damn. Okay, I have to tease you for a second here. Say 'Hi' to Gordon Gekko for me when you see him! Ah, never mind, he's probably much too fun for you and your clientele.

There's so much to pick apart in your response, I could seriously write an entire book. I'll just stick with a not-so-rhetorical question: how exactly does the presence of stickers hinder your ability to conduct work? I would genuinely like to know. Does the fact that stickers are available to buy and use (IF you want them) somehow prohibit you from communicating with certain people, saying certain words, or sending certain files?

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 07:05 PM
    They don't have to hinder work to be distracting and therefore undesirable. Stickers say that BBM is for fun and not a serious platform for professional conversation. That's why I stopped recommending it to clients. I still use it with my family, and stickers don't bother me in general. They just rule out the use of BBM in my business.

I won't ask a client to install a piece of software that markets to him or her without an option to opt out. If you don't understand why the unsolicited marketing of stickers is unprofessional, then we simply don't work in the same environment.

I think you should add stickers to your resume and cover letters if you think they look professional. Good luck with that.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 10:23 PM
    They don't have to hinder work to be distracting and therefore undesirable. Stickers say that BBM is for fun and not a serious platform for professional conversation.
    And yet you CAN have a professional conversation on BBM whether or not stickers exist. You know how you do that? DON'T USE THEM. How are they distracting? Seems that they distract you purely by the fact that you know they exist, as if they're intentionally mocking you with their silence.

I won't ask a client to install a piece of software that markets to him or her without an option to opt out. If you don't understand why the unsolicited marketing of stickers is unprofessional, then we simply don't work in the same environment.

I think you should add stickers to your resume and cover letters if you think they look professional. Good luck with that.

Posted via CB10
    You're right, we don't work in the same environment. As another poster alluded to previously, the environment in which you work honestly sounds like a depressing state of affairs if a piece of software is deemed unprofessional (and therefore not suitable for anything work-related) by virtue of the fact that stickers are present. Why don't you guys just write letters to each other using old-fashioned inkwell pens and candle wax seals? I guarantee there will be no unsolicited advertising that way.

And come on, including stickers on a cover letter, CV, or resume? First off, I never suggested that stickers are professional. That's you putting words in my mouth, and THAT is unprofessional. Second, I am happily employed, so I don't have to send my CV in to anyone (though I update it with publications, presentations, and teaching service as needed). Finally, why would I put stickers on a resume? I hope you don't use that much snark in your "professional" conversations.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 11:23 PM
29 12