do you have to pay for the GPS service? LIke when you use gmaps, does it use cell tower triangulation unless you pay for the AT&T GPS monthly fee?
    04-13-09 09:47 PM
    ive been wondering this as well.
    04-13-09 09:56 PM
    Google Maps uses the GPS. From what I understand, you don't get charged the GPS fee unless you use AT&T's GPS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-09 10:40 PM
    You don't get charged anything to use Google Maps with your GPS, so long as you have unlimited data. If you pay-per-use on data then whatever data Gmaps downloads you will be charged for that. But there isn't an additional charge for GPS.
    04-13-09 10:55 PM
    I have unlimited data but not att's GPS service so I'm in the clear there. I assume that goes for trapster as well?
    04-13-09 10:56 PM
    Take a look at the Applications section of my website. Link is in my sig...

Chris
    04-14-09 12:15 AM
    Take a look at the Applications section of my website. Link is in my sig...

Chris
    ..so gmaps/trapster DO use the GPS even if you haven't paid for the GPS service from your carrier? Your site just links to some apps.
    04-14-09 02:03 AM
    ..so gmaps/trapster DO use the GPS even if you haven't paid for the GPS service from your carrier? Your site just links to some apps.
    Thought that's what you were looking for....

Those apps use the GPS part of your phone, but that does not cost you anything. GPS only costs you something if you use an app that makes you pay for the app or in the case of AT&T a monthly fee for their turn by turn app.

Chris
    04-14-09 02:29 AM
    GPS is a signal you receive, and that signal is free to use. AT&T and other carriers often want you to buy software that uses this GPS signal. You can use other, free software that uses this signal as well.
    04-14-09 02:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD