We would like to use this thread to let LifeInPocket users share experiences and to help other LifeInPocket users.
    There are many ways you can use LifeInPocket to bring convenience in daily life. Please share with everyone how you use LifeInPocket and which features you like most, ....! Just like you did with your tweets.
    - Many users told us LifeInPocket helped them find exciting restaurants just minutes away from their homes using our search, review and ratings.
    - The assistance fire chief of a Michigan town told us they are using LifeInPocket location msg to pin point helicopter landing zone then send it to pilot then the pilot could use LifeInPocket to guide him to the landing zone.
    Share anything small or big about LifeInPocket here!

What’s LifeInPocket?
    LifeInPocket is the only life enrichment app/services.
    LifeInPocket home page has 15 icons (16 for Storm and Storm2)
    Icons are color coded:
    - Blue: 8 icons for location and GPS based services
    - Green: 2 icond for Personal Services
    - Sky blue: 4 icons for Media and web
    - Red: System function and settings

Icons with satellite images are GPS based services
    OTA link for BlackBerry browser download http://lifeinpocket.com/html/dlip.jad
    Mobile page: Life In Pocket - Enrich your life by GPS
    Home page (PC only): LifeInPocket GPS Mobile Application & Services - Your life in your pocket
    Below TMCnet article gives you some overview.
    CES Participants Gets Free Traveling Tools from LifeInPocket
    By Carolyn J Dawson, TMCnet Contributor January 08, 2010
    Attendees of the Consumer Electronics Show for the first time can leave their notebook PC behind instead of carrying it through airport security. RoadComm, Inc. reportedly announced the availability of the advanced LifeInPocket mobile suite, to CES (News - Alert) attendees.
    Provided free of cost, LifeInPocket bestows a greater degree of functionality to BlackBerrys than any smart phone. The added list of features include GPS, voice navigation, local listing/reviews, satellite map, location messaging, friends/family locator, street view, Twitter, e-mail, IMs, Facebook,MySpace ( News - Alert), LinkedIn, YouTube, cheap gas finder, news, video, traffic, local events music, movies, local events, TV guide, weather, finance, banking, sports, flights, magazines, fashions, transportation, travel, yellow/white pages, dictionary, translation, the Bible and much more instant information and services.
    LifeInPocket also incorporates one of the most cutting edge turn-by-turn navigation instructions with useful voice guidance. By making use of synced address book,BlackBerry ( News - Alert) address book and its unique online trip planning tool, LifeInPocket Navigation completely does away with the requirement for typing on miniscule keyboards. It is also far superior to other expensive phone navigation services available in the market currently.
    CES attendees will now be equipped with the world's only personalized GPS/address-based local search that has more than 15 million points of interest. They can also go through other visitors' reviews and ratings which have been uploaded just minutes before getting into new restaurants, car repair shops or other businesses using voice navigation during the conference.
    Much more robust than traditional SMS, CES attendees can transmit their GPS locations in real time with a message to family/friends to bring peace of mind and be better connected with them. Other than mobile features, almost all the services that are used daily with a PC are available with LifeInPocket.
    The only mobile application/services platform of its kind, LifeInPocket paves the way ahead for the next generation of application and services by offering the power of expensive smart phones to regular cell phones, making smart phones even more functional and giving BlackBerrys the ultimate position to reign.

LifeInPocket supports US only at this moment; services for other countries are under development.
    Disclaimer: I am with RoadComm, Inc. the maker of LifeInPocket and a leader in Telematics technologies
    Last edited by RoadComm Beta Team; 02-20-10 at 07:04 PM.
    02-04-10 12:39 PM
    LifeInPocket is self explanatory and easy to use though huge features do look scary. Simply select each icon, items and browsing through all features and you will know how to use it.

For example, select "Nav" icon, you will see that, you can,
    � Plan trip by PC web
    � Enter address
    � Nav use online lifeInPocket address book
    � Use Blackberry address book to nav, call, map it, etc.

To find something nearby,
    GPS icon(or MyLocation icon) > Search nearby restaurants > Italian > Take me there (or map it)
    GPS icon(or MyLocation icon) > Search nearby business > Wal-Mart > Take me there (or map it)
    LifeInPocket supports both Google and BB Maps.

Personalize your LifeInPocket experience first to enjoy the true experience of one click action. Scroll down to the button of pages, you will see
    Last edited by RoadComm Beta Team; 02-10-10 at 12:12 PM.
    02-04-10 12:40 PM
    Posted when first downloaded :
    Downloaded lifeinpocket for both mine and my wife's phone and we like what we see so far. tomorrow we will be taking it out on the road for a test run to grandma's house. we will report back our findings.
    Posted 2 months later:
    lifeinpocket is a sweet APP. used it the other day and love the Navigation system. Its a NAV with voice guided direction. I was shocked when I first heard the voice because I was anticipating it to be like Googlemaps with just direction only. The voice app tells when to turn and right at the point of turning says "turn right now".

Using it also for local food spots, or any other type of facility is even better than my car gps because it is updated on a real time basis. This thing even directed me to the cheapest gas station for the day in question. In other words all specs are updated real time.

This one is a keeper. My car has a gps so not necessary to use it all the while, but my wife loves it since her car does not have gps system.

Thanks lifeinpocket you rock!!
    Perfect navigation maps don't exist; all maps are relying on user reports to refine them. Always report missing address, map or route errors to [email protected] immediately with detail information so our vendors can improve their digital maps and algorithm.
    Location messaging allows you to send your GPS or address locations to friends. They can then navigate by voice directions to there, map it, view traffic, ….
    Last edited by RoadComm Beta Team; 02-20-10 at 07:03 PM.
    02-04-10 12:41 PM
    Jonneh,
    Life In Pocket supports BIS, BES, direct TCP, wifi, WAP2, .... almost all BB connection methods. So we rarely see any connection issue.
    It seems that LifeInPocket is not able to connect to network. When starting LifeInPocket, please make sure that you permit LifeInPocket to connect to Internet otherwise it would not connect and may cause various problems. You can change permissions at
    Settings --> Advanced --> Applications --> LifeInPocket --> Permissions

If you are using WiFi at home, BB OS seems to have problem switching to 3G when you are out of WiFi range.
    If it’s a corporate device then your IT policy may block it too. If this is the case, your IT guys can help you to enable LifeInPocket to pass through firewall.
    Please view your service book and tell us what you have. Please write to beta @roadcom.com! We will help you with detail!
    Thanks for your response. I'll wait for the upcoming specific thread to further our conversation, but you may be on to something with the Wifi thing. I was on Wifi but sometimes I'm a bit out of range so it goes back to 3G. Thanks again.
    BB OS has problem switching to 3G when you are out of WiFi range is probably the root cause. The OS seems to take a long time to determine if WiFi is broken. Hope next OS update may solve the issue. Turn off WiFi manually and use 3G is one of the solutions for now if you go in and out wifi range constantly.
    Last edited by RoadComm Beta Team; 02-04-10 at 02:45 PM.
    02-04-10 12:55 PM
    I'm have been using this app for a few days now and have a question and a concern, both deal with the Nav portion of the app.

First: Tried the Nav to get me home from work. It took me out of the way of my normal route. I have the setting set for quickest route. Also tried it with the shortest route setting. Both settings took me the same way which was essentially a non-direct route. I'm I doing something wrong. The route is pretty straight forward, I'm surprised it tries to take me the way it does.

Second: Does the Nav have a setting to automatically re-route your route? It's a feature that I am use to on VZ Nav. If VZ Nav took me a little off course, it would automatically re-route my route to always keep me on track.

Thanks for any info you could provide.
    02-04-10 01:12 PM
    BB OS has problem switching to 3G when you are out of WiFi range is probably the root cause. The OS seems to take a long time to determine if WiFi is broken. Hope next OS update may solve the issue. Turn off WiFi manually and use 3G is one of the solutions for now if you go in and out wifi range constantly.
    Thank you, LIP Team.
    02-04-10 01:28 PM
    You are welcome Jonneh

Hi Joe
    1.Routing algorithm determines how nav engines optimize the route. There are 2 major vendors in this field, so most nav engines behalf on way or another. They have different strength but they are all less smart than human. However, it�s very often that it finds much better route than we know because it can see maps and instantly calculating the route. Please email the detail route info to beta-AT-roadcom.com so our mapping team can work with our vendor to improve it.
    The current routing engine works well in our area but we are testing new map and routing engine now, it will be better.
    2. We have tested almost all 3rd party nav apps to conclude that auto-reroute will only work on longer distance turn. Our re-route is the fastese in the industry which takes only 3 to 4 seconds in most cases if you add the time to detect the error, in many residential areas and in some business areas, network based auto re-route just won�t work all the time.
    Instead we allow user to re-route with single touch anytime, anywhere but please don�t do it if it will distract you from driving responsibility.
    To ensure our users won�t waste too much of their time when they are not following the route, we implemented Artificial Intelligence. If they are in the right general direction, it won�t prompt the error immediately. This unique algorithm is still under beta testing, please provide detail feedback when you experience problem.
    We will pass your input to our product marketing, usability and related teams for review.
    02-04-10 02:22 PM
    The gas prices on LIP are accurate from what I've seen, and seem to be updated often (daily for some gas stations). I really wanted Poynt to be accurate for this, but it was always way off for the gas stations around here.

The search function works really well, and once a location has been found, you can choose to call the place, or have the app "take you there" - which apparently involves voice navigation, but without a good map to look at (eyes should be on the road, I know, but my Garmin is nice to glance at for bearings sometimes).

I haven't used the voice navigation yet, so I really can't speak to its accuracy. I'll try to run it through its paces over the next week or so and report back. I suppose there's always the fear that I'm a Roadcomm affiliate, but my as my ID indicates, I'm a professor, so rest assured that I'm not trying to market the product in any way.
    * LifeInPocket app size is very small -- only 767 KB for my Storm2, it takes only small app memory space. It’s small but fast and powerful. It uses small heap, no memory leak that's why it fast and reliable.
    We cannot speak for other apps.
    * The gas prices on LIP are accurate from what I've seen, and seem to be updated often (daily for some gas stations). I really wanted Poynt to be accurate for this, but it was always way off for the gas stations around here.
    Because our gas price report is near real-time and we let you know the exact when the prices were updated.
    * I haven't used the voice navigation yet
    LifeInPocket navigation is designed for hands free and near eyes free operation. You can look at map first before starting nav if you are not accustomed to arrow mode. You can open both BB and Google Maps with any GPS location or address from LifeInPocket and use them as sub-apps.
    Moving maps offer user great visual experience but the device has to rely on the network to stream map constantly that means short battery life, slower and less reliable. Your device has to have reasonable data rate continuously in order for it to work. Isn’t it dangerous to stare at the map while driving?
    Moving maps also take longer to get route because BB has to load the map. We will turn on moving maps feature when cellular networks reach our reliability standard.
    It’s good enough to take you from point A to point B and to give you great convenience. For example, find a restaurant then press “Take me there” then the lady will guide you there by voice directions. It may take a little bit time to get use to but most of our users love it once they are familiar with it.
    Some of our users claim that they have LifeInPocket nav running at foreground and BB/Google Maps on GPS mode on the background then switch as they need. However, you should only do so when it won’t distract you from driving responsibility.
    For me, I rarely looking at maps, simply click and let the lady use voice to guide me there.

Edit: Introduction of some LifeInPocket features

Media Features
    Offers Video, Music, Fshion, Photo, Cooking, Entertainment and Sports. They are web features but very handy for example you can view CBS News Show, AP News video, Fox Sprots Video etc. You can use rich contents from top movie contents provider Go 2 Movie, Mr. Movie, Hollywood.com, Fandango, Netflex, ….. You can even make reservation or buy ticket.
    There are many magazines such as Car and Driver, Cover Girl, Elle, Marie Clare, … in various topic for you to choose.
    Media features

... the traffic icon seemed to work without a hitch for me.
    Real time traffic report

Local Business Search
    You can use personalized search criteria or type your own to search. Most our users said LIP business search is better than Poynt because
    1. LIP search can be personalized but Poynt cannot
    2. You can one click search with LIP but with Poynt you have to type
    3. LIP can save search results to "Favorite Business" folder while Poynt cannot
    4. You can search using any address or marked location with LIP but Poynt cannot
    5. You can save your search criteria while Poynt cannot
    6. You can open any BB contacts from LIP and use the address for search but you cannot do that with Poynt
    7. LIP offers comprehensive business ratings and reviews but Poynt doesn't. We can only wish you good luck when you venturing into an auto repair shop if you are using Poynt but our users know the shop well and will enter it with confidence

Business reviews/ratings

Specialized Search

The Specialized Search icon is very powerful. You can use it to search people (by phone number and reverse search), product price search, local events, flight, job, words, love, the Bible, language, …
    Last edited by RoadComm Beta Team; 02-20-10 at 07:19 PM.
    02-04-10 05:11 PM
    You are comparing apples and oranges! Poynt is about the same in app size (LIP is 767 KB for my Storm2, Poynt is 796.8KB) but Poynt offers only about 10% of LifeInPcocket features. LifeInPocket offers all Poynt features.

Below are what most LifeInPocket and Poynt users said,
    Life in pocket is one of the most used apps on my BB. (and everyone I know with a BB). Keep up the GREAT work!
    I'm running .428 ...... This app works great for me. Turn by turn works good you just have to pay attention. If you really need to see the map use the map feature and it will give you the full directions on either google or blackberry maps. For being free this app is awesome. The local search is better than poynt imo
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I have Poynt and Viigo but ALWAYS shut them down completely. I double check constantly for this. I left Poynt running in the background once, and it killed my battery. Never will I let that happen again.
    That's my whole gripe about Poynt; the new version is sluggish. … I think a lot of the slowness is due to the automatic weather lookups in the background. They took a really useful app and made it more bloated IMO. I can't imagine running it on an 81xx or 83xx series BlackBerry, it seems even slow on my new 9700.
    * LifeInPocket is the only app can be personalized for your own need and it's very easy to use!
    Icons are color coded:
    - Blue: 8 icons for location and GPS based services
    - Green: 2 icond for Personal Services
    - Sky blue: 4 icons for Media and web
    - Red: System function and settings

Icons with satellite images are GPS based services
    LifeInPocket is self explanatory and easy to use though huge features do look scary. Simply select each icon, items and browsing through all features and you will know how to use it.

Did you follow my recommendations? If you did, you would probably say "LifeInPocket" is the easiest to use app.

It also seems you haven’t personalized LifeInPocket for your need yet which is the most important feature.

* LifeInPocket has the most powerful and easy to use Business Search: You need to “Personalize Search Criteria” with allow you to “one click search” without typing while other apps have to type.
    There are pros and cons with saving “search entries” once you saved “auto parts” then you don’t need to type again. You can delete it anytime. This is a nice feature suggested by our users and all our users love it.
    Most our users said LIP business search is better than Poynt because
    1. LIP search can be personalized but Poynt cannot
    2. You can one click search with LIP but with Poynt you have to type
    3. LIP can save search results to "Favorite Business" folder while Poynt cannot
    4. You can search using any address or marked location with LIP but Poynt cannot
    5. You can save your search criteria while Poynt cannot
    6. You can open any BB contacts from LIP and use the address for search but you cannot do that with Poynt

7. LIP offers comprehensive business ratings and reviews but Poynt doesn't. We can only wish you good luck when you venturing into an auto repair shop if you are using Poynt but our users know the shop well and will enter it with confidence.

All GPS features are also supported with My Location or any address in BB Address Book which includes local search, traffic, cheap gas finder, roadside assistance, ……. So you don’t need to wait for GPS lock. While other apps you can only choose either GPS or Address which you have to go through a long process of settings change.

In addition, you can use ‘Marked GPS” location to do all those instantly.

If you did go through all features one by one, you will realized LifeInPocket has much more features than any other apps such as real-time traffic, car find, location message, ….. even without those web features.

* Traffic Search: I just tried with no problem. Please try again! Which city you are in? If you still have problem please email your location to [email protected] and our team will investigate the problem.

* Poynt used one single info source to build movie feature while our movie features are part of web features so we offer Fandango, Hollywood.com, Y Movie, Moviefone, Mr. Movie and even Nexflex they offer much richer contents. All those can be personalized for your personal need. Movie is only a very small part of our Media icon features.

With all those features,[COLOR="Red"] LifeInPocket is much faster than other apps. Most importantly, uses small heap memory and no memory leak.
    I think the GPS navigation features are nice.
    You don’t need to struggle with map, simply click and go and our lady will take you there by voice direction. This is the only free BB and Java app comes with voice GPS Navigation.
    The restaurant search is as good as Poynt (plus the benefit of directions),
    Most of our users told us LifeInPocket local search is better because you can personalize, Poynt also missed many features.
    along with the ability to send location to friends.
    LIP Location Msg, has become an important communications tool for many families, not just between BBs, you can do that with regular Nextel, Boost, AT&T, Nokia, Motorola … phones.
    This is what CB user said!
    I have Poynt and Viigo but ALWAYS shut them down completely. I double check constantly for this. I left Poynt running in the background once, and it killed my battery. Never will I let that happen again.
    Our VZW 9630 took only 9 seconds to get GPS fix (indoor near the window). The GPS cold start acquisition time is determined by GPS chip and firmware, there’s no way for apps to change it. LIP put GPS to sleep when it’s not used but Poynt keep GPS alive (if you see the blue dot) when it’s not in use so they can get GPS instantly later but this cost them severe battery drain. LIP is the only app designed with superior power management technology to maximize battery life.
    Last edited by RoadComm Beta Team; 02-24-10 at 07:27 PM.
    02-04-10 09:26 PM
    You have made many improvement in LIP since I last used it. I really like that you can pull information from your contact list. I don't know why you can't do that with BB Maps.

One thing I might suggest is to have the ability to add or delete modules as needed. For example, if I don't want the media or money module I should have the option to delete them.

This is really a fantastic app to have on my BB. Thank you.
    02-04-10 11:49 PM
    You have made many improvement in LIP since I last used it. I really like that you can pull information from your contact list. I don't know why you can't do that with BB Maps.

One thing I might suggest is to have the ability to add or delete modules as needed. For example, if I don't want the media or money module I should have the option to delete them.

This is really a fantastic app to have on my BB. Thank you.
    Hi Hamilton,
    Thanks for the input! We are glad that you enjoy Life In Pocket.
    Yes, BB Maps feature is done already. You can use any address or GPS location in LifeInPocket to open BB/Goole Maps. This includes contacts in BB Address Book.
    In settings, you can select Google/BB Maps as your location map. LifeInPocket improves greatly because users like yourself provided us wonderful feedbacks. Will pass your input to our teams.
    02-05-10 01:35 AM
    Is there a way to make the local search get more results?If I click on search nearby businesses,I only get about 10 results in a 1 mile radius.I looked for a setting to change it to a higher radius but I don't see it.
    The number of search results are not limited to 10. You should have up to 20 in your search result but the search engine would dynamically adjust that.
    What�s the search location and criteria you use?
    I am just clicking on GPS on the main menu and then Search nearby restaurants.Then I choose something like Italian and it does give me 20 results but they are very close to me(within 3 miles).Is there a way to see nearby restaurants that are farther away?
    Where do you live? That�s a lot of Italian restaurants in a small area. You guys eat nothing but Italian?
    You mean set search Italian restaurants in3 to 6 miles area instead of nearby area?
    02-05-10 03:18 PM
    Where do you live? That�s a lot of Italian restaurants in a small area. You guys eat nothing but Italian?
    You mean set search Italian restaurants in3 to 6 miles area instead of nearby area?
    I was just giving you an example.Of course I eat other types of food.And yes,I would like to set it to at least 3-6 miles away.
    02-05-10 04:40 PM
    I was just giving you an example.Of course I eat other types of food.And yes,I would like to set it to at least 3-6 miles away.
    I mean people in your area eat a lot of Italian food.

I understand what you want now! I will pass this to our UI and usability teams to see if they can come out something for the nex release. But I think it�s very difficult to design an easy to use UI to server this purpose.. May be a skip to 2nd page search feature? That means allow user to access only the 21th to 40th search resulats instead of 1st to 20th.

What do you think?
    02-05-10 04:57 PM
    I mean people in your area eat a lot of Italian food.

I understand what you want now! I will pass this to our UI and usability teams to see if they can come out something for the nex release. But I think it�s very difficult to design an easy to use UI to server this purpose.. May be a skip to 2nd page search feature? That means allow user to access only the 21th to 40th search resulats instead of 1st to 20th.

What do you think?
    Yes,because I live right outside of Philadelphia and there are tons of great restaurants in the city but it's about 6 miles away and none of them will show up in the search.
    02-05-10 05:31 PM
    Does LIP have GPS/ nav maps for Puerto Rico? Most GPS stand-alone devices do. Thanks for your answer!
    02-05-10 06:09 PM
    Does LIP have GPS/ nav maps for Puerto Rico? Most GPS stand-alone devices do. Thanks for your answer!
    That's good question!The map covers Pueto Rico but we never tested the area. Can you give it a try then get back to us?
    02-05-10 06:56 PM
    I ask because some other LBS, like Poynt, don't have Puerto Rico included in their service yet. I will try LIP and get back to you...
    02-05-10 07:00 PM
    Ok, I installed it, did some quick tests, but I could not get driving directions to my main work office, or find nearby places like Wal-Mart (I live right next to one), airports, hotels, etc., no traffic info, no gas stations nearby... I guess it does not support Puerto Rico yet then...
    02-05-10 07:31 PM
    Is there a way to set different addresses for "my location" such that home is set for one address, work for another and other for a third. Simply by changing from home to work without retyping the address would make searches more effective. I do like the program and find it quite useful, but with this tool I could use it for home and work.
    Thanks
    Jerry
    02-05-10 09:00 PM
    You've been stating for months on your website that support for UK/Europe is 'under development'... any idea if/when this may become available?

02-06-10 10:26 AM
    Yes,because I live right outside of Philadelphia and there are tons of great restaurants in the city but it's about 6 miles away and none of them will show up in the search.
    Currently, our local search returns up to 20 results for your restaurants search. Within 3 miles, you already have over 20 Italian restaurants nearby then the search between 3 to 6 miles may return 60 or more results because it's a 3 times bigger area than 3 miles radius.

It seems that you are trying to find restaurants in a town/area 6 miles from your home. Please confirm!

This can be done easily with current Life-In-Pocket 0.710 beta by many ways.

We will write you a detail guide as most of our team members return to work on Monday.
    02-06-10 01:30 PM
    Ok, I installed it, did some quick tests, but I could not get driving directions to my main work office, or find nearby places like Wal-Mart (I live right next to one), airports, hotels, etc., no traffic info, no gas stations nearby... I guess it does not support Puerto Rico yet then...
    Thanks for trying Puerto Rico out for us. We do not have service data such as traffic, local search for Puerto Rico but our nav map supplier said the map covers Puerto Rico. We never tested Puerto Rico, we really appreciate your help. We will talk to our supplier about what they mean Puerto Rico map is covered.

If you get the chance to try out several addresses (for nav) and could get route. Please let us know!
    02-06-10 01:43 PM
    Is there a way to set different addresses for "my location" such that home is set for one address, work for another and other for a third. Simply by changing from home to work without retyping the address would make searches more effective. I do like the program and find it quite useful, but with this tool I could use it for home and work.
    Thanks
    Jerry
    Yes! But not by changing from home to work because it will be hard to use.

There are multiple ways to do this easily. You can do one click local search using multiple addresses and multiple marked GPS locations.

We will write you a detail guide as most of our team members return to work on Monday.
    02-06-10 01:52 PM
    You've been stating for months on your website that support for UK/Europe is 'under development'... any idea if/when this may become available?

I am not sure where you heard about this but we are developing supports for several regions in parallel.

Our first priority is Canada and we are debating if we should have Europe or Japan in higher resource priority bease on their current business relationship with our Telematics Business Unit.

Navigation app companies can just acquire European digital map and add language pack then Europe suport is done.

LifeInPocket is not just an app, it�s a life enrichment service that has to assimilate with local lifestyle and culture thus we are offering the services one country at a time. We will add Canada first then other regions!

At this moment, I am not authorized to disclose our schedule.
    02-06-10 09:07 PM
83 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD