I can't get the GPS to work on this app. I have a T-mobile 9700 OS 5.0.0.422. Any ideas???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-10 09:45 PM
    I can't get the GPS to work on this app. I have a T-mobile 9700 OS 5.0.0.422. Any ideas???

This could be various reasons. Follow below steps
    1. Blackberry home --> Settings --> Advanced -->
    Set location on, Device GPS
    2. You failed to grant LifeInPocket permission to access Internet and GPS by mistake when 1st started LifeInPocket. You can go to BlackBerry Set Up to change permission for LifeInPocket. Blackberry home --> Settings --> Advanced --> Applications --> LifeInPocket --> Permissions
    3. Your phone/GPS received need to view open sky in order to receive GPS satellite signal

To verify if the GPS function of your phone works, perform below test
    1 make sure you are outside or in your car
    2 go into options on your blackberry
    4 click on status
    5 type the word "test"
    6 Hit the menu button
    7 click start
    8 check the check box for GPS
    9 click run
    wait a few moments (usually it isn't too long)
    then it will say successful if it works.
    02-07-10 02:29 AM
    I am just clicking on GPS on the main menu and then Search nearby restaurants.Then I choose something like Italian and it does give me 20 results but they are very close to me(within 3 miles).Is there a way to see nearby restaurants that are farther away?
    I was just giving you an example.Of course I eat other types of food.And yes,I would like to set it to at least 3-6 miles away.
    I mean people in your area eat a lot of Italian food.
    Yes,because I live right outside of Philadelphia and there are tons of great restaurants in the city but it's about 6 miles away and none of them will show up in the search.
    Currently, our local search returns up to 20 results for your restaurants search. Within 3 miles, you already have over 20 Italian restaurants nearby then the search between 3 to 6 miles may return 60 or more results because it's a 3 times bigger area than 3 miles radius.
    It seems that you are trying to find restaurants in a town/area 6 miles from your home. Please confirm!
    This can be done easily with current Life-In-Pocket 0.710 beta by many ways.
    We will write you a detail guide as most of our team members return to work on Monday.
    LifeInPocket is probably the only app can do that. There are couple ways you can do that!

1. Mark > Mark the GPS location when you are in the area let�s name it �Eating Town�. You can then use this previous marked location to search, take me there, map,�

2. Save an address in the area to your BB address book then open this BB contact within LifeInPocket. You can use this address for local search and all our Location Based Services (LBS)

3. Save any search result in the area as �Favorite Business� or �Favorite Restaurant� then use their address to search.

4. Sign-in to https://lifeinpocket.com/html/use our PC Web trip planning tool to add an address (let�s call it �Eating Town Center� in the area as your �Navigation destination� press sync (in settings) and this �Eating Town Center� will be under Nav� icon. Press �Eating Town Center� you can search restaurants/business, go, map it, see traffic, �..

5. There are more ways to do that
    02-07-10 11:38 AM
    After loading the LIP application I removed the LIP_Loader, thinking it was only needed to load the LIP application. This just adds to more screen clutter. If the two applications were combined into one wouldn't the single app be smaller than the sum of the two apps?
    This is the only app I have that is in two parts and requires a two step initial loading process. Load the loader, then load the application?

Would be nice if the voice/map instructions could be saved to a phones media card. I found that once out of Wi-Fi and Provider Data range the program reverts back to the main menu.
    02-08-10 12:56 PM
    After loading the LIP application I removed the LIP_Loader, thinking it was only needed to load the LIP application. This just adds to more screen clutter. If the two applications were combined into one wouldn't the single app be smaller than the sum of the two apps?
    This is the only app I have that is in two parts and requires a two step initial loading process. Load the loader, then load the application?
    Would be nice if the voice/map instructions could be saved to a phones media card. I found that once out of Wi-Fi and Provider Data range the program reverts back to the main menu.
    LIP-Loader is a 32 KB tiny app used to detect your phone model to make sure the right LifeInPocket version will be downloaded to your phone. You can use the loader to re-install LifeInPocket in the future but you can delete it if you prefer.
    LifeInPocket will auto-detect if future update is available and prompt users then you can update by single click, so the loader is probably not needed in the future anyway.

Map directions are in our server so it won't take your app memory and LifeInPcoket app size is small (only 767 KB for my Storm2) anyway. Less than 1/4 of most navigation only apps.

> once out of Wi-Fi and Provider Data range the program reverts back to the main menu.
    - We found BB OS takes long time to detect when wifi connection is broken. The OS may think wifi connection is valid but it�s out of range already. When apps try to connect through wifi, as permitted by OS, apps may encounter error. In this case, LifeInPocket may jump to LIP home page so users can re-connect to services later. This is probably what you are talking about. It�s an OS issue, we will have our verification engineering, investigate into it more but this is probably something cannot be controlled by apps.

If you turn off WiFi (go to Manage Connections), you won�t see this.

LifeInPocket is probably one of very few apps support WiFi.
    02-08-10 04:52 PM
    I am very interested in trying LIP again, but, as previously noted, support for Puerto Rico seems pretty limited. Any further info on this? Thanks!!!!

02-08-10 04:57 PM
    Is there a way to set different addresses for "my location" such that home is set for one address, work for another and other for a third. Simply by changing from home to work without retyping the address would make searches more effective. I do like the program and find it quite useful, but with this tool I could use it for home and work.
    Thanks
    Jerry
    Hi Jerry,
    There are couple ways you can do that! Assuming you already set your work as MyLocation.

1. Mark > Mark the GPS location when you at home or other desired locations, name it “Home”, “mother’s home”, “girl friend’s home”. You can then use this previous marked location to search, take me there, map,…
    2. Save Home address to your BB address book then open this BB contact within LifeInPocket (nav > BB Address Book). You can use this address for local search and all our Location Based Services (LBS)
    3. Sign-in to https://lifeinpocket.com/html/NewUse...do?method=edit our PC Web trip planning tool to add home address as your predefined“Navigation destination” press sync (in settings) and “Home” will be under Nav” icon. Press “Home” you can search restaurants/business, go, map it, see traffic, …..
    4. You can use My Address Book which is our online address book to do that.
    5. There are more ways to do that but above 4 are good enough for now
    Last edited by RoadComm Beta Team; 02-09-10 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Fix broken link
    02-08-10 09:18 PM
    I installed the app on my 8900 (Rogers network GSM) and seems to be working fine except, when I use search restaurants, it will not show any restaurants in Canada (I am in Toronto) but will pick up the restaurants in Buffalo.....

Does that application work in Canada ?
    02-08-10 09:24 PM
    I installed the app on my 8900 (Rogers network GSM) and seems to be working fine except, when I use search restaurants, it will not show any restaurants in Canada (I am in Toronto) but will pick up the restaurants in Buffalo.....

Does that application work in Canada ?
    Sorry to hear that! You may realized that we listed only US carriers when you created account. At the first page of this thread we did mention �LifeInPocket supports US only at this moment; services for other countries are under development�.

Since US version only has US restaurants data thus it will point to US boarder.

Canadian version will be the next to be released but we do not have a schedule for that yet!

We look forward to work with you in the future!
    02-08-10 10:02 PM
    Just downloaded the app, and it sounds like it will be a great complement to my BB. I have encountered a problem with my registration. My carrier - Cellular South - is not listed. Should I just use one of the available choices? I don't see an "other" option.

Thanks in advance.
    02-09-10 12:17 AM
    Just downloaded the app, and it sounds like it will be a great complement to my BB. I have encountered a problem with my registration. My carrier - Cellular South - is not listed. Should I just use one of the available choices? I don't see an "other" option.

Thanks in advance.
    Yes! If you are creating account on the app, it should be OK!

If you create account this way at our secured PC web site https://lifeinpocket.com/html/NewUse...do?method=edit you may encounter minor issue.
    02-09-10 09:02 AM
    I am very interested in trying LIP again, but, as previously noted, support for Puerto Rico seems pretty limited. Any further info on this? Thanks!!!!

Thanks for trying Puerto Rico out for us. Puerto Rico is not officially supported yet. As previously mentioned, we do not have service data for Puerto Rico yet but our navigation map supplier said the map covers Puerto Rico. We never tested Puerto Rico; we really appreciate your help.

If you get the chance to try out several addresses (for navigation) and could get route. Please let us know what�s working in Puerto Rico!
    02-09-10 03:55 PM
    Thanks for reply, I finally was able to get LIP to function without the loader installed. Based on information provided I again attempted to use the LIP app. Clicking on icon resulted in absolutely nothing. I then deleted LIP and LIP_loader,cleared cache, rebooted the phone and reinstalled the two apps. Removed the LIP_loader and LIP seems to function correctly.
    Cheers
    02-09-10 07:09 PM
    LifeInPocket is probably the only app can do that. There are couple ways you can do that!

1. Mark > Mark the GPS location when you are in the area let�s name it �Eating Town�. You can then use this previous marked location to search, take me there, map,�

2. Save an address in the area to your BB address book then open this BB contact within LifeInPocket. You can use this address for local search and all our Location Based Services (LBS)

3. Save any search result in the area as �Favorite Business� or �Favorite Restaurant� then use their address to search.

4. Sign-in to https://lifeinpocket.com/html/use our PC Web trip planning tool to add an address (let�s call it �Eating Town Center� in the area as your �Navigation destination� press sync (in settings) and this �Eating Town Center� will be under Nav� icon. Press �Eating Town Center� you can search restaurants/business, go, map it, see traffic, �..

5. There are more ways to do that
    That still only gives me results within 2-3 miles from my house.
    02-09-10 07:54 PM
    Thanks for trying Puerto Rico out for us. Puerto Rico is not officially supported yet. As previously mentioned, we do not have service data for Puerto Rico yet but our navigation map supplier said the map covers Puerto Rico. We never tested Puerto Rico; we really appreciate your help.

If you get the chance to try out several addresses (for navigation) and could get route. Please let us know what�s working in Puerto Rico!
    Ok, I'll let you know when I do... thanks!!
    02-09-10 08:53 PM
    That still only gives me results within 2-3 miles from my house.
    I guess you are probably till using
    GPS > Nearby Restaurants
    to search from home that's why you are getting results within 2-3 miles of your house.

The idea is to mark GPS location or enter address inside the area you want to search. We can name it �Eating Town� then you click on �Eating Town� to search every thing near �Eating Town� which is 6 miles from your home instead of your house.
    1. Mark > Mark the GPS location when you are in the area let�s name it �Eating Town�. You can then use this previous marked location to search, take me there, map,
    - Mark icon > Previously Marked GPS Location > Eating Town
    - In Nav icon > BB Address Book > �Eating Town�
    4. Sign-in to https://lifeinpocket.com/html/ our PC Web trip planning tool to add an address (let�s call it �Eating Town Center� in the area as your �Navigation destination� press sync (in settings) and this �Eating Town Center� will be under Nav� icon. Press �Eating Town Center� you can search restaurants/business, go, map it, see traffic, �..
    - Nav > Group name > Eating Town

Let us know how it works! Cheers!
    02-09-10 09:45 PM
    Thanks for reply, I finally was able to get LIP to function without the loader installed. Based on information provided I again attempted to use the LIP app. Clicking on icon resulted in absolutely nothing. I then deleted LIP and LIP_loader,cleared cache, rebooted the phone and reinstalled the two apps. Removed the LIP_loader and LIP seems to function correctly.
    Cheers
    You are welcome! Installing LifeInPocket should be a click and go experience. It probably takes less than 1 minute to download for WiFi and LifeInPocket should be up and running without issue.

Did you grant "Trusted App Status" and "Permissions" for your first installation? We are curious about the rarely encountered issue you experienced which we never heard about this before. Maybe it will be helpful for other new users. If you still remember the detail.
    02-10-10 10:44 AM
    Did you grant "Trusted App Status" and "Permissions" for your first installation?
    Have never seen a request to grant "Trusted App Status". I granted permissions and then went and checked to make sure all were granted "allow".
    02-10-10 01:09 PM
    Have never seen a request to grant "Trusted App Status". I granted permissions and then went and checked to make sure all were granted "allow".
    Thanks for sharing! Some BBs would ask user to grant "Trusted App Status". Granted permissions and then go and checked to make sure all were granted "allow" will certainly avoid potential issues.
    02-10-10 05:45 PM

Thanks in advance.

If you create account this way at our secured PC web site https://lifeinpocket.com/html/NewUse...do?method=edit you may encounter minor issue.
    Hi Setanta,
    Did everything work ok for you?
    02-11-10 11:19 AM

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner...

I just selected Verizon and LIP has worked like a charm since. Great app. Between it and QL most functions on my Tour are available on the convenience keys. You guys rock!!!
    02-16-10 11:29 PM
    Any info on if/when this will be available for us here in the UK?
    02-17-10 03:11 AM
    Agreed. The only thing it really offers that can't be found elsewhere is turn by turn nav, but it just doesn't work well. Sorry, I tried!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-17-10 07:30 AM
    StormJH1,
    Please stop bashing unreasonably, spell out the fact then we can have civilized discussion to address your concern!

If arrow mode navigation is not your prefernece. You can always use our Google maps feature to get driving directions instead because Google use same map vendor as most other nav app companies but Google has hundreds of millions of map users reporting map errors. Google is also the only one add those user error report to the map source.

You can still find many errors with Google Maps but, it’s the best in the industry anyway.

Most of our users told us
    Yeah I use Life in Pocket it pretty accurate for me, I haven't had and issues with it.
    Life in pocket is one of the most used apps on my BB. (and everyone I know with a BB). Keep up the GREAT work!
    I'm running .428 ...... This app works great for me. Turn by turn works good you just have to pay attention. If you really need to see the map use the map feature and it will give you the full directions on either google or blackberry maps. For being free this app is awesome. The local search is better than poynt imo
    I have Poynt and Viigo but ALWAYS shut them down completely. I double check constantly for this. I left Poynt running in the background once, and it killed my battery. Never will I let that happen again.

LifeInPocket supports both Google and BB Maps so you can always have them as your backup.
    Last edited by RoadComm Beta Team; 02-26-10 at 02:33 PM.
    02-17-10 09:19 AM
    Sorry for not getting back to you sooner...

I just selected Verizon and LIP has worked like a charm since. Great app. Between it and QL most functions on my Tour are available on the convenience keys. You guys rock!!!
    Thanks Setanta for sharing the experience!
    02-17-10 09:29 AM
83 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD