This thread is closed and is moved to http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/fre...ussion-422382/ because below issue has made this thread lost it’s focus.
    We welcome civilized debate such as Xopher did and we apperciate his different view. But having both quollo and newwood 2 newsbies with only 2 and 1 posts total. While they were all making untruthfully made up stories are simply too obvious.

CB users are not born yesterday! They are smart enough to know the motive, who's behind these and the reason why you are so afraid of LifeInPocket.

If you have any GPS related question about LifeInPocket, you may post here. Any non-GPS related question, please refer to Life In Pocker 3rd party app forums
    What’s LifeInPocket?
    LifeInPocket is the only life enrichment app/services.
    LifeInPocket home page has 15 icons (16 for Storm and Storm2)
    Icons are color coded:
    - Blue: 8 icons for location and GPS based services
    - Green: 2 icond for Personal Services
    - Sky blue: 4 icons for Media and web
    - Red: System function and settings

Icons with satellite images are GPS based services
    OTA link for BlackBerry browser download http://lifeinpocket.com/html/dlip.jad
    Mobile page: Life In Pocket - Enrich your life by GPS
    Home page (PC only): LifeInPocket GPS Mobile Application & Services - Your life in your pocket
    Below TMCnet article gives you some overview.
    CES Participants Gets Free Traveling Tools from LifeInPocket
    By Carolyn J Dawson, TMCnet Contributor January 08, 2010
    Attendees of the Consumer Electronics Show for the first time can leave their notebook PC behind instead of carrying it through airport security. RoadComm, Inc. reportedly announced the availability of the advanced LifeInPocket mobile suite, to CES (News - Alert) attendees.
    Provided free of cost, LifeInPocket bestows a greater degree of functionality to BlackBerrys than any smart phone. The added list of features include GPS, voice navigation, local listing/reviews, satellite map, location messaging, friends/family locator, street view, Twitter, e-mail, IMs, Facebook,MySpace ( News - Alert), LinkedIn, YouTube, cheap gas finder, news, video, traffic, local events music, movies, local events, TV guide, weather, finance, banking, sports, flights, magazines, fashions, transportation, travel, yellow/white pages, dictionary, translation, the Bible and much more instant information and services.
    LifeInPocket also incorporates one of the most cutting edge turn-by-turn navigation instructions with useful voice guidance. By making use of synced address book,BlackBerry ( News - Alert) address book and its unique online trip planning tool, LifeInPocket Navigation completely does away with the requirement for typing on miniscule keyboards. It is also far superior to other expensive phone navigation services available in the market currently.
    CES attendees will now be equipped with the world's only personalized GPS/address-based local search that has more than 15 million points of interest. They can also go through other visitors' reviews and ratings which have been uploaded just minutes before getting into new restaurants, car repair shops or other businesses using voice navigation during the conference.
    Much more robust than traditional SMS, CES attendees can transmit their GPS locations in real time with a message to family/friends to bring peace of mind and be better connected with them. Other than mobile features, almost all the services that are used daily with a PC are available with LifeInPocket.
    The only mobile application/services platform of its kind, LifeInPocket paves the way ahead for the next generation of application and services by offering the power of expensive smart phones to regular cell phones, making smart phones even more functional and giving BlackBerrys the ultimate position to reign.

LifeInPocket supports US only at this moment; services for other countries are under development.
    Disclaimer: I am with RoadComm, Inc. the maker of LifeInPocket and a leader in Telematics technologies
    Last edited by RoadComm Beta Team; 02-20-10 at 07:05 PM.
    02-04-10 06:05 PM
    Posted when first downloaded :
    Downloaded lifeinpocket for both mine and my wife's phone and we like what we see so far. tomorrow we will be taking it out on the road for a test run to grandma's house. we will report back our findings.
    Posted 2 months later:
    lifeinpocket is a sweet APP. used it the other day and love the Navigation system. Its a NAV with voice guided direction. I was shocked when I first heard the voice because I was anticipating it to be like Googlemaps with just direction only. The voice app tells when to turn and right at the point of turning says "turn right now".

Using it also for local food spots, or any other type of facility is even better than my car gps because it is updated on a real time basis. This thing even directed me to the cheapest gas station for the day in question. In other words all specs are updated real time.

This one is a keeper. My car has a gps so not necessary to use it all the while, but my wife loves it since her car does not have gps system.

Thanks lifeinpocket you rock!!
    Perfect navigation maps don't exist; all maps are relying on user reports to refine them. Always report missing address, map or route errors to [email protected] immediately with detail information so our vendors can improve their digital maps and algorithm.
    Location messaging allows you to send your GPS or address locations to friends. They can then navigate by voice directions to there, map it, view traffic, ….

Edit: Introduction of some LifeInPocket features

Media Features
    Offers Video, Music, Fshion, Photo, Cooking, Entertainment and Sports. They are web features but very handy for example you can view CBS News Show, AP News video, Fox Sprots Video etc. You can use rich contents from top movie contents provider Go 2 Movie, Mr. Movie, Hollywood.com, Fandango, Netflex, ….. You can even make reservation or buy ticket.
    There are many magazines such as Car and Driver, Cover Girl, Elle, Marie Clare, … in various topic for you to choose.
    Media features

... the traffic icon seemed to work without a hitch for me.
    Real time traffic report

Local Business Search
    You can use personalized search criteria or type your own to search. Most our users said LIP business search is better than Poynt because
    1. LIP search can be personalized but Poynt cannot
    2. You can one click search with LIP but with Poynt you have to type
    3. LIP can save search results to "Favorite Business" folder while Poynt cannot
    4. You can search using any address or marked location with LIP but Poynt cannot
    5. You can save your search criteria while Poynt cannot
    6. You can open any BB contacts from LIP and use the address for search but you cannot do that with Poynt
    7. LIP offers comprehensive business ratings and reviews but Poynt doesn't. We can only wish you good luck when you venturing into an auto repair shop if you are using Poynt but our users know the shop well and will enter it with confidence

Business reviews/ratings
    Last edited by RoadComm Beta Team; 02-20-10 at 07:07 PM.
    02-04-10 06:06 PM
    RoadComm has been in Telematics business for 10 years. We design and manufacture our own industrial grade GPS hardware, firmware and software. Product
    Q: How can I know if my BB’s GPS is working?
    A: Perform below test
    1 make sure you are outside or in your car
    2 go into options on your blackberry
    4 click on status
    5 type the word "test"
    6 Hit the menu button
    7 click start
    8 check the check box for GPS
    9 click run
    Wait a few moments (usually it isn't too long. Then it will say successful if GPS works.

GPS accuracy is determined by GPS chip and firmware in the BlackBerry or Bluetooth GPS receiver, not apps. We do not claim LifeInPocket GPS accuracy is better or worse than other apps.

USC 8330M, 8330 & 8230 GPS requires assisted data (PDE) while USC won't provide PDE data so USC 8330M, 8330 & 8230 GPS won't work with 3rd party apps.! The situation is similar to VZW locks GPS, only certain paid apps will work by sharing revenue with carriers.
    9639 support autonomous GPS but BB map can get USC/VZE PDE data so if you fire up BB map first the GPS acquisition time for LifeInPocket and other apps will be faster.
    Sprint and Alltel offer us PDE data, so all Sprint and AllTel BBs can get GPS very fast. VZW [/B] Alltel is acquired by VZW, so it's possible they may change their PDE policy.
    VZW 9630, 9530, 9550 and 8530 can get GPS. All GSM BBs (AT&T & T-Mobile) can get GPS if they have internal GPS
    If your BB doesn't have GPS or it's locked by your carrier, don't worry. LifeInPocket support Bluetooth GPs which you can get from eBay for as less as $15.
    Last edited by RoadComm Beta Team; 02-11-10 at 06:47 PM.
    02-04-10 06:16 PM
    Hi Xopher, Thanks for the input! You are comparing apples and oranges! Poynt is about the same in app size (LIP is 767 KB for my Storm2, Poynt is 796.8KB) but Poynt offers only about 10% of LifeInPcocket features. LifeInPocket offers all Poynt features .

You are different from most users, these are what most LifeInPocket and Poynt users said,
    Life in pocket is one of the most used apps on my BB. (and everyone I know with a BB). Keep up the GREAT work!
    I'm running .428 ...... This app works great for me. Turn by turn works good you just have to pay attention. If you really need to see the map use the map feature and it will give you the full directions on either google or blackberry maps. For being free this app is awesome. The local search is better than poynt imo
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I have Poynt and Viigo but ALWAYS shut them down completely. I double check constantly for this. I left Poynt running in the background once, and it killed my battery. Never will I let that happen again.
    That's my whole gripe about Poynt; the new version is sluggish. … I think a lot of the slowness is due to the automatic weather lookups in the background. They took a really useful app and made it more bloated IMO. I can't imagine running it on an 81xx or 83xx series BlackBerry, it seems even slow on my new 9700.
    * LifeInPocket is the only app can be personalized for your own need and it's very easy to use!
    Icons are color coded:
    - Blue: 8 icons for location and GPS based services
    - Green: 2 icond for Personal Services
    - Sky blue: 4 icons for Media and web
    - Red: System function and settings

Icons with satellite images are GPS based services
    LifeInPocket is self explanatory and easy to use though huge features do look scary. Simply select each icon, items and browsing through all features and you will know how to use it.

Did you follow my recommendations? If you did, you would probably say "LifeInPocket" is the easiest to use app.

It also seems you haven’t personalized LifeInPocket for your need yet which is the most important feature.

I'm running .428 ... The local search is better than poynt imo.
    * LifeInPocket has the most powerful and easy to use Business Search: You need to “Personalize Search Criteria” with allow you to “one click search” without typing while other apps have to type.
    There are pros and cons with saving “search entries” once you saved “auto parts” then you don’t need to type again. You can delete it anytime. This is a nice feature suggested by our users and all our users love it.
    Most our users said LIP business search is better than Poynt because
    1. LIP search can be personalized but Poynt cannot
    2. You can one click search with LIP but with Poynt you have to type
    3. LIP can save search results to "Favorite Business" folder while Poynt cannot
    4. You can search using any address or marked location with LIP but Poynt cannot
    5. You can save your search criteria while Poynt cannot
    6. You can open any BB contacts from LIP and use the address for search but you cannot do that with Poynt

7. LIP offers comprehensive business ratings and reviews but Poynt doesn't. We can only wish you good luck when you venturing into an auto repair shop if you are using Poynt but our users know the shop well and will enter it with confidence.

All GPS features are also supported with My Location or any address in BB Address Book which includes local search, traffic, cheap gas finder, roadside assistance, ……. So you don’t need to wait for GPS lock. While other apps you can only choose either GPS or Address which you have to go through a long process of settings change.

In addition, you can use ‘Marked GPS” location to do all those instantly.

If you did go through all features one by one, you will realized LifeInPocket has much more features than any other apps such as real-time traffic, car find, location message, ….. even without those web features.

* Traffic Search: I just tried with no problem. Please try again! Which city you are in? If you still have problem please email your location to [email protected] and our team will investigate the problem.

* Poynt used one single info source to build movie feature while our movie features are part of web features so we offer Fandango, Hollywood.com, Y Movie, Moviefone, Mr. Movie and even Nexflex they offer much richer contents. All those can be personalized for your personal need. Movie is only a very small part of our Media icon features.

With all those features,[COLOR="Red"] LifeInPocket is much faster than other apps. Most importantly, uses small heap memory and no memory leak.
    I think the GPS navigation features are nice.
    You don’t need to struggle with map, simply click and go and our lady will take you there by voice direction. This is the only free BB and Java app comes with voice GPS Navigation.
    The restaurant search is as good as Poynt (plus the benefit of directions),
    Most of our users told us LifeInPocket local search is better because you can personalize, Poynt also missed many features.
    along with the ability to send location to friends.
    LIP Location Msg, has become an important communications tool for many families, not just between BBs, you can do that with regular Nextel, Boost, AT&T, Nokia, Motorola … phones.
    This is what CB user said!
    I have Poynt and Viigo but ALWAYS shut them down completely. I double check constantly for this. I left Poynt running in the background once, and it killed my battery. Never will I let that happen again.
    Our VZW 9630 took only 9 seconds to get GPS fix (indoor near the window). The GPS cold start acquisition time is determined by GPS chip and firmware, there’s no way for apps to change it. LIP put GPS to sleep when it’s not used but Poynt keep GPS alive (if you see the blue dot) when it’s not in use so they can get GPS instantly later but this cost them severe battery drain. LIP is the only app designed with superior power management technology to maximize battery life.

I’ll pass your valuable input to our product marketing, usability, UI design and related team for review!

Added on 02/20/2010
    Here is reputable tech editor Carolyn J Dawson’s unbiased view published at top tech magazine TMCnet. It’s very different from certain biased view from individuals with hidden agenda.

Provided free of cost, LifeInPocket bestows a greater degree of functionality to BlackBerrys than any smart phone. The added list of features include GPS, voice navigation, local listing/reviews, satellite map, location messaging, friends/family locator, street view, Twitter, e-mail, IMs, Facebook,MySpace ( News - Alert), LinkedIn, YouTube, cheap gas finder, news, video, traffic, local events music, movies, local events, TV guide, weather, finance, banking, sports, flights, magazines, fashions, transportation, travel, yellow/white pages, dictionary, translation, the Bible and much more instant information and services.
    LifeInPocket also incorporates one of the most cutting edge turn-by-turn navigation instructions with useful voice guidance. By making use of synced address book,BlackBerry ( News - Alert) address book and its unique online trip planning tool, LifeInPocket Navigation completely does away with the requirement for typing on miniscule keyboards. It is also far superior to other expensive phone navigation services available in the market currently.
    CES attendees will now be equipped with the world's only personalized GPS/address-based local search that has more than 15 million points of interest. They can also go through other visitors' reviews and ratings which have been uploaded just minutes before getting into new restaurants, car repair shops or other businesses using voice navigation during the conference.
    Much more robust than traditional SMS, CES attendees can transmit their GPS locations in real time with a message to family/friends to bring peace of mind and be better connected with them. Other than mobile features, almost all the services that are used daily with a PC are available with LifeInPocket.
    The only mobile application/services platform of its kind, LifeInPocket paves the way ahead for the next generation of application and services by offering the power of expensive smart phones to regular cell phones, making smart phones even more functional and giving BlackBerrys the ultimate position to reign.
    Last edited by RoadComm Beta Team; 02-24-10 at 07:33 PM.
    02-04-10 10:50 PM
    I thought I will try the nav feature while driving home from Pittsburgh Airport. Ater a scan of satellites it located me in middle of Detroit.

I know it is a free product but it is definitely not user ready yet.
    02-04-10 11:51 PM
    Edit: Update 02/15/10
    -located me in middle of Detroit( I was in Pittsburgh airport).
    Our navigation will only tell you which way you should head for and street/direction you should turn. It won't tell you that you are "in the middle of Detroit".

This fake user quelloo apparently could never use LifeInPocket navigation because he probably lives near Calgary of Canada (LIP supports US only for now). Stop pretending quelloo , be honest, you need to disclose your affiliation.
    Edit: We noticed that this user gulloo has made only 2 posts so far and they are all about LifeInPocket both were saying about the same thing!
    Edit: ** We welcome civilized debate such as Xopher did and we apperciate his different view. But having both quollo and newwood 2 newsbies with only 2 and 1 posts total while they all bad mouth LifeInPocket using untruthfully made up stories are simply too obvious.
    CB users are not born yesterday! They are smart enough to know the motive and who's behind these.
    ** LifeInPocket is not perfect, that’s why it’s still in beta but it’s overly stretched to claim LifeInPocket still has those fundamental problems. From beta 0.001 to 0.710, LifeInPocket Blackberry has been in beta for one year already and even our beta 0.001 is much better than those 2 newbie claimed.
    ** LifeInPocket is free, everyone can download it anytime to verify what's the truth.
    Below are what real long time CB users said about LifeInPocket
    I'm running .428 ... This app works great for me. Turn by turn works good you just have to pay attention. If you really need to see the map use the map feature and it will give you the full directions on either google or blackberry maps. For being free this app is awesome. The local search is better than poynt imo.

Below user posted this after Using LifeInPocket for 2 months

lifeinpocket is a sweet APP. used it the other day and love the Navigation system. Its a NAV with voice guided direction. I was shocked when I first heard the voice because I was anticipating it to be like Googlemaps with just direction only. The voice app tells when to turn and right at the point of turning says "turn right now".

Using it also for local food spots, or any other type of facility is even better than my car gps because it is updated on a real time basis. This thing even directed me to the cheapest gas station for the day in question. In other words all specs are updated real time.

This one is a keeper. My car has a gps so not necessary to use it all the while, but my wife loves it since her car does not have gps system.

The GPS acquisition is performed by BB hardware and firmware not by apps, if you truly have such issue.
    - Try it again if it works then it could be a deflection
    - If you still get error, then your GPS may have hardware problem
    Perform below test
    1 make sure you are outside or in your car
    2 go into options on your blackberry
    4 click on status
    5 type the word "test"
    6 Hit the menu button
    7 click start
    8 check the check box for GPS
    9 click run
    Wait a few moments (usually it isn't too long. Then it will say successful if GPS works.
    Edit: GPS accuracy is determined by GPS chip and firmware in the BlackBerry or Bluetooth GPS receiver, not apps. We do not claim LifeInPocket GPS accuracy is better or worse than other apps.
    Last edited by RoadComm Beta Team; 02-24-10 at 07:35 PM.
    02-05-10 12:00 AM
    I do have to say that the voice guided directions are good. No matter what the product, voice directions are much better than looking at maps.
    It’s very convenient, I am glad that you enjoyed it.
    [/QUOTE]Personally, there are too many icons on the screen. The simpler, the better. I'm not going to use the web-based features. If I could hide all those icons, I would. Simpler]is better. [/QUOTE]
    Many of our users said so but most of them took back their words once they started using all those features. Please provide us feedback again couple weeks later!
    Last edited by RoadComm Beta Team; 02-23-10 at 03:49 PM.
    02-05-10 11:53 AM
    Thanks for your input on how to use your app.
    You are very welcome! Thank you for the valuable input! We wish you will enjoy the personalized LifeInPocket experience. Our verification engineering team will look into our real time traffic report system in your area (Knoxville, TN), they will also look into US Cellular gateway in your area to see if their gateway in your area blocked our traffic server; because 404 (server not found) error message means http connection with server could not be established.
    02-05-10 03:51 PM
    I end up waiting 30+ seconds for GPS activation,
    Did quick test on one of our VZW 9630 Tour GPS cold start acquisition time using LifeInPocket inside our office near a window. It locks GPS fix in 9 seconds.

The platform version for the Tour is 4.1.0,81 and OS is 4.7.1.61. We don�t mean our app is better or worse in GPS acquisition time. It�s determined by GPS chip and firmware, any app using API correctly should get this number.

30 seconds Cold Start GPS acquisition time is very long for Tour. We don� t have US Cellular Tour but you may want to bring this to issue USC.

As of your wife�s USC 8330m, you should protest them for locking the GP so it will be easier for us to negotiate with them.
    02-06-10 07:09 PM
    Sadly, I'm with Xopher on this one. I too find the search function unworkable, the address entry awkward, and the waiting for GPS (or sometimes waiting to confirm user ID) frustrating. It also tends to hang and frequently requires a battery pull.

I'm also puzzled by the response: Xopher nicely articulated _his_ experience in working with the App and seemed to get simple assertions to the contrary ("it's easy to use!") in response. Doesn't seem like a good model for generating feedback and figuring out how to improve things.

For myself, I tried several times to do a test navigation but got some sort of network busy error--when it finally did work the voice directions were largely nonsensical--I couldn't possibly have used them in navigation. The lack of an overview map is pretty disturbing (you have no idea where it's taking you).

Definitely not a workable gps app for me, and sadly, doesn't look like user comments are going to be valued.

Newwood
    02-09-10 08:52 PM
    Please note: above user newwwwood has only one post so far! Are you a real person? I am curious who's sending all these fake newbies to attack LifeInPocket?
    Edit: ** We welcome civilized debate such as Xopher did and we apperciate his different view. But having both quollo and newwood 2 newsbies with only 2 and 1 posts total while they all bad mouth LifeInPocket using untruthfully made up stories are simply too obvious.
    CB users are not born yesterday! They are smart enough to know the motive and who's behind these.
    ** LifeInPocket is not perfect, that’s why it’s still in beta but it’s overly stretched to claim LifeInPocket still has those fundamental problems. From beta 0.001 to 0.710, LifeInPocket Blackberry has been in beta for one year already and even our beta 0.001 is much better than those 2 newbie claimed.
    LifeInPocket is a free app, everyone can download it and verify what's the truth! OTA link http://lifeinpocket.com/html/dlip.jad and you can immediately figure out.

We welcome civilized debate even with so called competing product maker, but please disclose your affiliation and do not play dirty!

Below are what real users said about LifeInPocket and again, you can verify it yourself by downloading LifeInPocket now!
    I'm running .428 ... This app works great for me. Turn by turn works good you just have to pay attention. If you really need to see the map use the map feature and it will give you the full directions on either google or blackberry maps. For being free this app is awesome. The local search is better than poynt imo.

Added on 02/20/2010
    Here is reputable tech editor Carolyn J Dawson’s unbiased view published at top tech magazine TMCnet. It’s very different from certain biased view from individuals with hidden agenda.

Last edited by RoadComm Beta Team; 02-20-10 at 07:09 PM.
    02-10-10 01:20 PM
    I looked into your concerns. There is no reason at this time to believe these are anything except real humans. I can't reveal the raw evidence but that is my impression so far. I suggest you try to assist them like any other user who believes they have run into problems with the software.
    02-10-10 01:45 PM
    I thought I will try the nav feature while driving home from Pittsburgh Airport. Ater a scan of satellites it located me in middle of Detroit.

I know it is a free product but it is definitely not user ready yet.
    Just to remind you that all GPS is fallible - as the error proves. It is unlikely (but possible) that the software could have made a leap into a different state without throwing some kind of error message, just as it is unlikely that the GPS would have made such a huge error in determination without setting a flag for bad fix.

I'm sure Roadcomm Beta will welcome the opportunity to investigate if you can provide any more information. Had you been to Detroit recently and maybe got a position stuck in a buffer somewhere?
    02-10-10 01:53 PM
    Edit: Update
    -located me in middle of Detroit( I was in Pittsburgh airport).
    Our navigation will only tell you which way you should head for and street/direction you should turn. It won't tell you that you are "in the middle of Detroit".

This fake user quelloo apparently never use LifeInPocket because he probably lives near Calgary of Canada . Stop pretending quelloo , be honest, you need to disclose your affiliation.
    Just to remind you that all GPS is fallible - as the error proves. It is unlikely (but possible) that the software could have made a leap into a different state without throwing some kind of error message, just as it is unlikely that the GPS would have made such a huge error in determination without setting a flag for bad fix.

I'm sure Roadcomm Beta will welcome the opportunity to investigate if you can provide any more information. Had you been to Detroit recently and maybe got a position stuck in a buffer somewhere?
    Yes! We will be glad to assist all LifeInPocket users. Please provide the detail location and information you encountered the error, we will be glad to assist!
    Apps such as LifeInPocket uses API known as JSR179 to request BB to provide GPS fix. BB API would return with a GPS fix if GPS acquisition went through successfully.
    The accuracy of GPS is relying on BB�s GPS chip set and correlator.
    If you provide detail information, we can help you identify the cause of your problem.
    Last edited by RoadComm Beta Team; 02-15-10 at 04:52 PM.
    02-10-10 04:02 PM
    Again, you may have very unique use patten which is 1 to 5% of population but LIP is to address the need of 95% of population. Below is what most users said,
    Life in pocket is one of the most used apps on my BB. (and everyone I know with a BB). Keep up the GREAT work!
    I'm running .428 ...... This app works great for me. Turn by turn works good you just have to pay attention. If you really need to see the map use the map feature and it will give you the full directions on either google or blackberry maps. For being free this app is awesome. The local search is better than poynt imo
    That's my whole gripe about Poynt; the new version is sluggish. � I think a lot of the slowness is due to the automatic weather lookups in the background. They took a really useful app and made it more bloated IMO. I can't imagine running it on an 81xx or 83xx series BlackBerry, it seems even slow on my new 9700.

* LifeInPocket is the only app can be personalized for your own need and it's very easy to use!

My big problem with the app, ... You now have the app "Searching for satellites". No problem. I expect that. Select something from the search results and have the app give you directions (from the search results). You have to go through the waiting for the satellite search all over again. Delay, delay, delay. Every single other GPS navigation app out there doesn't have this lag.
    We are talking about Newwood and qullo. Both have only 1 or 2 posts only and the way they pop up seems to be very unusual.

We believe you are giving honest and valuable input base on your user experience and we appreciate your input. As mentioned we already sent your feedback to our product marketing, usability and UI teams.

This is what CB user said!
    Most of the time, LifeInPocket users use My Location (such as Home), marked GPS locations (such as Office, mother�s home), BB address book contacts, predefined nav destinations, LIP online address book to one click search, map it, �. Instantly. With no need to wait for GPS acquisition. Our marketing research data indicated, this is 95 % in users behavior model.

Regular users have only less than 5% chance need to scan satellites for search. To sacrifice severe battery power drain for 5% of their use by keeping GPS alive is not what we would do.
    We did addressed your concern,

- We cannot leave GPS running and consuming battery power when GPS is not used in order to have fast GPS acquisition time just like Poynt did. Because they would suffer severe battery drainage while LifeInPocket is designed for long battery life. Our VZW 9630 took only 9 seconds to get a cold start fix anyway.
    - If most users say they are willing to have fast battery drain to exchange for instance GPS acquisition, we will do that. But we haven�t heard enough voice from that direction yet.
    - We have huge number of beta users and most of them think battery life is much more important so far.
    - LifeInPocket for Java has been accepting user inputs for over 2 year and we have received many valuable user inputs
    - LifeInPocket Blackberry is in beta for one year now, and we are in Beta 0.710 now. We started from 0.01
    This is something that we have only one choice! Instant GPS acquisition or long battery life.

At this moment, most users told us �long battery life� is most important because if battery power is drained, then the device is not useful.

Many nav apps drains battery power completely within one hour before arriving destinations but LifeInPocket can last for up to 12 hours navigation.

What can nav app do, if your device is out of power? I know you have a car charger but many users don�t. What if you forgot them at home when you travel to California?

We listen to users and we have to listen to most of them and sometimes we have to make decision which may leave few people unhappy.
    Last edited by RoadComm Beta Team; 02-16-10 at 10:15 AM.
    02-10-10 05:33 PM
    Hummm. Well it _is_ somewhat entertaining to get vilified after my first (pretty benign) post: I detect some sense of paranoia? I suppose I can try to defend that I'm not a plant (I'm not exactly sure who would have a motivation for pull down a free program), but I think our forums moderater has already rendered an unbiased (and accurate) opinion that I am indeed a regular real guy who just happened to make his first post. I am, however a very long time blackberry user, GPSer, and CB reader.

My point, which is similar to Xopher's point, is that I'd like a program that I could do a simple search (e.g. inputting a address or a business name) and have it do a local search, pop something up, allow me to click on it, and get both a map and voice directions. In fact I'd be ecstatic if it was just a back end to google maps and could give me turn by turn while I see Googles map. I'd like those directions to give me street names, or at the very least make sense. _My_ experience is that LIP doesn't come close to this core functionality and, even in the absence of the wildly desirable voice directions (preferably with a selection of desirable voices), I'd stick with google. At least I know where I'm going, can see it on a map, and (if I don't take my eyes off the road too long) read the directions.

So I'd love it if this was a great product. In my opinion, it's not. Both Xopher and I tried (he, assuming Xopher is male--seems like a guy sort of name--much more persistently, patiently, and politely than me) to state what we perceived as problems and what we would like (again, because we would love to have such a product). You're probably not winning any fans mashing first posters.

Newwood
    02-10-10 07:50 PM
    Hummm. Well it _is_ somewhat entertaining to get vilified after my first (pretty benign) post: I detect some sense of paranoia? I suppose I can try to defend that I'm not a plant (I'm not exactly sure who would have a motivation for pull down a free program), but I think our forums moderater has already rendered an unbiased (and accurate) opinion that I am indeed a regular real guy who just happened to make his first post. I am, however a very long time blackberry user, GPSer, and CB reader.

My point, which is similar to Xopher's point, is that I'd like a program that I could do a simple search (e.g. inputting a address or a business name) and have it do a local search, pop something up, allow me to click on it, and get both a map and voice directions. In fact I'd be ecstatic if it was just a back end to google maps and could give me turn by turn while I see Googles map. I'd like those directions to give me street names, or at the very least make sense. _My_ experience is that LIP doesn't come close to this core functionality and, even in the absence of the wildly desirable voice directions (preferably with a selection of desirable voices), I'd stick with google. At least I know where I'm going, can see it on a map, and (if I don't take my eyes off the road too long) read the directions.

So I'd love it if this was a great product. In my opinion, it's not. Both Xopher and I tried (he, assuming Xopher is male--seems like a guy sort of name--much more persistently, patiently, and politely than me) to state what we perceived as problems and what we would like (again, because we would love to have such a product). You're probably not winning any fans mashing first posters.

Newwood
    Of cause, you are a real human but can you disclose who you are working for? We were alerted because the language you used to describe our product apparently was abusive, didn’t reflect the truth and very different from our real users’ feedback.

From LifeInPocket, you can open destination address on Google or BB map first before using our voice navigation to guide you through.

Current cellular network infrastructure just won’t support reliable moving map navigation.

If moving map navigation is what you are looking for, buy a garmin or tom tom nav GPS computer.

If you don’t believe what I say, feel free to buy those $10 a month nav apps or buy garmin app for $100. Poynt and other local search apps won't give you that.

LifeInPocket is the only app offers free GPS voice navigation and most other users include Xoper likes that. If you read his comments.
    Last edited by RoadComm Beta Team; 02-10-10 at 08:34 PM.
    02-10-10 08:21 PM
    We will be glad to help all users. If you encounter navigation issue, please provide your detail route information, starting address, end point, the exact location you encountered issue so we can help.

If you have concern in disclosing those locations in public, you can email to [email protected]

Our mapping team will work with our vendor to correct that in their next map release!
    02-10-10 08:39 PM
    This is a long time LifeInPocket user with LifeInPocket in his 9530, this user claims “Battery life is very good on this phone. After an 18 hour day I am still at 80% per Meterberry”
    Item Description : Storm 9530, 6 months old. Current carrier is Verizon.
    Price : $125
    Rate it : 9/10
    What it comes with : Invisible Shield installed on front and back, 7GB media card, charger
    Item location : Kansas City, MO
    Shipping Details : Overnight
    Payment Options : Paypal
    Contact Info : PM me

Any additional info: I have OS 5.0.0.419 with the .451 hybrid installed. The typing accuracy is vastly improved with this hybrid. I have also shrunk the OS prior to install. My memory is constantly above 40MB with 3 themes and a bunch of apps installed. Memory is very stable but I have customized it using Shrink-a-OS and BBSAK.

The touch screen is very responsive on this phone.

Battery life is very good on this phone. After an 18 hour day I am still at 80% per Meterberry.

I will include a few apps and all the premium themes I have bought.

Reason for selling: I am looking to upgrade my phone. I do not have a digital camera to take a picture of the phone with. Phone is very clean. It has never been dropped. If you look real hard you might see a couple of minor scratches on the chrome trim.
    $125 included shipping. I might go down to $100 but you would have to pay for the overnight shipping.

A couple of other items:

I forgot to mention that I took off Blackberry Messenger because I hardly ever used it. It is a free download from the Blackberry website if you want it. I can put it back on for you if you want. I will include several premium themes that I have purchased.

If you want free navigation, I have Life-in-pocket installed. A very cool navigation tool with lots of other goodies.

This is a nice phone. I have tried to describe it as accurately as possible.
    02-10-10 08:49 PM
    Sadly, I'm with Xopher on this one. I too find the search function unworkable, the address entry awkward, and the waiting for GPS (or sometimes waiting to confirm user ID) frustrating. It also tends to hang and frequently requires a battery pull.

I'm also puzzled by the response: Xopher nicely articulated _his_ experience in working with the App and seemed to get simple assertions to the contrary ("it's easy to use!") in response. Doesn't seem like a good model for generating feedback and figuring out how to improve things.

For myself, I tried several times to do a test navigation but got some sort of network busy error--when it finally did work the voice directions were largely nonsensical--I couldn't possibly have used them in navigation. The lack of an overview map is pretty disturbing (you have no idea where it's taking you).

Definitely not a workable gps app for me, and sadly, doesn't look like user comments are going to be valued.

Newwood
    Well the forums moderator can quickly verify that I don't have a conflict of interest in employment. I fail to see how either post is abusive, untrue, or not reflecting real users (everyone reading this can judge the first, those with experience can judge the second, and I assert that I _was_ one of the third, but not any more). But perhaps it is _you_ who are pushing the envelop on the abusive bit (a problem, I note, for which LIP has been previously sanctioned by CB whereas I have not). I'd be very satisfied if it only offered your last assertion: voice guided navigation. I find it does have a voice, and that voice appears to sometimes correlate with navigation, but by no reasonable measure, does it (in my opinion) offer voice guided navigation. I wish you every success. But given the attitude, I kind of doubt you're gonna make it.
    02-10-10 08:58 PM
    Well the forums moderator can quickly verify that I don't have a conflict of interest in employment. I fail to see how either post is abusive, untrue, or not reflecting real users (everyone reading this can judge the first, those with experience can judge the second, and I assert that I _was_ one of the third, but not any more). But perhaps it is _you_ who are pushing the envelop on the abusive bit (a problem, I note, for which LIP has been previously sanctioned by CB whereas I have not). I'd be very satisfied if it only offered your last assertion: voice guided navigation. I find it does have a voice, and that voice appears to sometimes correlate with navigation, but by no reasonable measure, does it (in my opinion) offer voice guided navigation. I wish you every success. But given the attitude, I kind of doubt you're gonna make it.
    How can the moderator verify your employment? You entered your company name when you registered with CB?

This is the first time we heard about this problem! If you truly encountered issue, please layout the detail instead offering vague descriptions. What it said at what time and what instruction was not correct, … We will be glad to help users.

LifeInPocket is a free app, everyone can download for free and try to verify if you are lying or I am not telling the truth!

You did give people more and more indications about who you are, as you talked more and more.

Please do not underestimate CB users' intelligence! They can figure out who you are and why you are here. We welcome civilized debate like Xopher did but don't like dirty tricks.
    Last edited by RoadComm Beta Team; 02-10-10 at 11:58 PM.
    02-10-10 09:15 PM
    Again, below are what real users said about LifeInPocket. They are real users with long time history with CB, make your judgment after reading their posts.

02-10-10 09:41 PM
    Nice turn of events in this thread for sure... :-)
    02-10-10 10:12 PM
    Nice turn of events in this thread for sure... :-)
    HI,

Thanks! How's the weather there?
    02-10-10 10:46 PM
    I downloaded LIP and like the functionality. What stops me from using the voice directed turn by turn features is the insistence of LIP to shout out as loud as possible the directions. I can't find the volume control. I do like the other features and think the app has potential. I would be more than happy to do more testing on the nav if the voice was lowered. I have a Tour.

02-13-10 11:05 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD