"Under the partnership, Foxconn will manufacture products for BlackBerry at facilities in Indonesia and Mexico. BlackBerry will own all of its intellectual property and perform product assurance on devices through the Foxconn partnership, as it does currently with all third-party manufacturers."

Quote From the press release.

Posted via CB10
    No. Your quote is irrelevant. Where the products are manufactured doesn't matter and neither do "assurances". Foxconn manufactures Iphones and we know for a fact that the NSA has installed malware in the iphone BIOS.

Thus we know Foxconn is compromised already. Either with apple's permission or not. It doesn't really matter. I believed I could trust Blackberry. I do not believe I can trust Foxconn.
    Let me help him out... you see that part where the quote mentions "with all third-party manufacturers"? That also means Foxconn isn't the first third-party manufacturer BB has used, therefore the security-risk you speak of has existed all along, yet BB has still kept this ghost-malware from getting to our devices, and that means their doing a satisfactory job to me...

and I'll be real.. if not using Foxconn is the ONLY feature that makes you want or use a BlackBerry, then yeah, basically you have no incentive to purchase one in the future.. we shouldn't beat around the bush and argue til we're blue in the face that you should still buy a BB if that is literally the only feature that you cared about, not one iota about the device, function, OS, etc...buuut that also means you wouldn't want a Foxconn Nokia or Foxconn Samsung when you mentioned those as 'why not buy those instead of a Foxconn BlackBerry'? Well a Foxconn Apple has the same shortcoming you are running from with the new Foxconn BlackBerry's...

so my honest question is; where will you go? I think I still have my Bold 9700 or Torch 9810 I can send you.... OK, The more reasonable, less admittedly sarcastic answer is that you will have to reevaluate the options based on actual OS functions and hardware options, and go with the phone (manufactured by Foxconn) that best suits your needs.. well, that should have been done from the start and probably landed you with the BB you own...

so all I'm (and others in the thread are) saying is how can you know you won't choose BB again once the new model comes out and IF it has all the exact features you want... would you really choose another Foxconn device that meets your needs less than the Foxconn device (presumably BB) that meets them perfectly?? just because "you used to have that option"? Being upset with the decision is one thing, but that choice wouldn't make much sense imho
    Last edited by NinjaB; 01-02-14 at 08:01 AM.
    Omnitech and web99 like this.
    01-02-14 07:24 AM
    And move to a far less secure platform like android or crapple?

www.mikescraftbeer.com - C00012735
    01-02-14 07:33 AM
    I also have reservations with Foxconn.

A) they're Chinese, and I hate supporting China in any way, both because of security concerns but also because I don't want the Chinese getting any business period

B) their work environment requires suicide nets, enough said about how they treat their workers

C) I hate Apple

But..with all that said, I'm ready to be the first hypocrite and say I'd buy a Foxconn BlackBerry. You try your best to do good, but at the end of the day we all wear grey hats.

Posted via CB10
    Well, this is so well reasoned it's hard to argue with it. Really.

Apart from how inane it really is, what the hell does C) have to do with Foxconn?
    01-02-14 08:47 AM
    Well, this is so well reasoned it's hard to argue with it. Really.

Apart from how inane it really is, what the hell does C) have to do with Foxconn?

It's become the Rumor, Bias, Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt thread. (RBFUD)
    01-02-14 11:56 AM
    You know what's funny? I already posted a link to at least one example.
    This is the link you posted talking about bios hack
    Researchers find insecure BIOS 'rootkit' pre-loaded in laptops | ZDNet

In wich part is that considered BIOS malware? Where is the part that is was actualy hacked? It's a freaking rootkit that is insecure and is running on a bios. The fact that a aplication is insecure, doesn't mean is malware.... So you are the one that has to do the homework my friend... I'm still waiting for the proof of bios hacking that already happened... I don't want the "can" or "could", I want factual hacking.

BTW... The link you posted not only is about a "can happen", but also the potencial danger is about wiping your data, not about spying... Asking a PC to format a disk is way easier than asking to read certain information and sending to someone else... So keep googling...

THIS is what the author of the topic sayd
    If someone can slip inside Foxconn and get malware loaded onto the bios of a blackberry...
    So I want proof of malware in a bios loaded by a company, not some software that has breaches in security... if that was the case, Iphones and Androids had malware right when you bought them because they are insecure.
    Last edited by Joao Oliveira; 01-02-14 at 12:23 PM.
    01-02-14 12:08 PM
    You have NO idea what you are talking about.
    No? Bios always WAS this:
    BIOS = Basic Input Output System as far as I know.... and now you tell me that it isn't.... so you tell me what BIOS acronym mean...
    01-02-14 12:16 PM
    BIOS = Basic Input Output System as far as I know.... and now you tell me that it isn't.... so you tell me what BIOS acronym mean...

You need to update your knowledge past the days of the original IBM PC.

You could replace a BIOS with anything you want, it can do anything you want.

All it is is code run automatically at boot.

What the NSA does is use a malicious BIOS to load malware into the OS onto the target system, either by overwriting the boot record or by other means.

15 seconds searching Google is all it would take for you to educate yourself, but you would rather sit and spend 5 minutes writing belligerent posts here, apparently.
    01-02-14 01:24 PM
    Why do you ask us for evidence on something that is widely known. Go research and find out for yourself if you don't believe Omnitech.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-02-14 01:41 PM
    You need to update your knowledge past the days of the original IBM PC.

You could replace a BIOS with anything you want, it can do anything you want.

All it is is code run automatically at boot.

What the NSA does is use a malicious BIOS to load malware into the OS onto the target system, either by overwriting the boot record or by other means.

15 seconds searching Google is all it would take for you to educate yourself, but you would rather sit and spend 5 minutes writing belligerent posts here, apparently.
    I already went 5 minutes searching on google when I first posted in this thread and couldn't find anything... since you're more clever than me, I would leave that task to you, wich you so far have failed... There is no evidence of BIOS hacking hapened whithin a manufacturer. That's the fact that you're failing to prove.

I posting facts, you're posting claims, that's the difference...

And No, you can't replace a bios with anything you want, a the BIOS EPROM is a very limited resource that only operates basic functions, is it is intended to do... that why BIOS is acronym for Basic Input/Output System

Yes you can run a "faulty" BIOS, but there's only so much it can do... but it can brick your motherboard chipset, or fry your CPU for example...
    01-02-14 01:51 PM
    Why do you ask us for evidence on something that is widely known. Go research and find out for yourself if you don't believe Omnitech.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    I already did my research and found nothing.... I found the same evidences that you're showing me...

If it is that easy, why don't you show me that "easy" evidence, and I will shut up...

The reason I'm having this debate, is because I can't find a single evidence to back up your claims, because if I did, I would concede your point, I have no problem with that... But so far I sonly see a bunch of "can...", only rumours of possibilitys. But I believe that now you're just asking me "to reasearch" because you did the same thing I did and found nothing but possibility claims...

You post one real world evidence, and I will apologise, and will thank you, I'm not afraid of apologising for my mistakes.
    01-02-14 01:53 PM
    The only thing I found related to NSA and Bios hacking was this...
    NSA claims it thwarted BIOS plot to destroy US computers. Nonsense!

but as I said before, there's only so much a BIOS can do, wich is brick devices and get hardware to malfunction.... No such thing on spying or transfering information...
    01-02-14 02:01 PM
    The only thing I found related to NSA and Bios hacking was this...
    NSA claims it thwarted BIOS plot to destroy US computers. Nonsense!

but as I said before, there's only so much a BIOS can do, wich is brick devices and get hardware to malfunction.... No such thing on spying or transfering information...
    http://arstechnica.com/security/2013...jumps-airgaps/ it's real...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-02-14 02:04 PM
    It's not the same... I have seen that before...
    You can check his blog
    https://plus.google.com/app/basic/10...cz52wykrrvjjce

First of all, this is a OS malware, not a BIOS malware. And is a OS malware the the author believes (he didn't found out yet) that is designed to afect the BIOS, and what he seems to do is brick flash drives, not able to boot CD's... The fact the he uses ipv6 should tell you everything. Find me a bios that works on ipv6.... None, that's why it need a OS to do so.
    Other fact is the more Mac users seem to had this problem, with UEFI software runing in the boot, but UEFI is stored on the hard drive, not in bios....
    01-02-14 02:18 PM
    It's pretty clear what it says.... BIOS/UEFI malware. hence the name they gave it. "Badbios"

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-02-14 02:25 PM
    It's pretty clear what it says.... BIOS/UEFI malware. hence the name they gave it. "Badbios"

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    Wrong... don't tell me to do my research when I didn't do mine... How badBIOS works is that it uses airgaps to connect devices. So the device (suposedly) is hacked remotly by something like ultrasonic sound, using mic and speakers, that's why this guy (that's so far the only one reporting this problem, but he has a good reputation it seems) is hacked even when he changes to a brand new device. What it does is infect the pc, and (suposedly) change values in BIOS...

Is a malware stored in a "cloud like" system, not stored in the BIOS. That's why the author reflashed the BIOS, and the problem would come back again.

But even with this, you can find more people saying that #badBIOS is fake than that is real, since it only hapened to one person.

But I this point you don't realy care of what I say, so I would ask you to ask someone that is IT qualified to tell you why hacking a BIOS for "spying prupose" is redundant, and to explain you that BIOS have been very unrestricted because there's not much you can do with them appart from ruin some PC parts.

Hacking a BIOS is like Hacking you're home's electricity box.... There's only so much you can do with it, and most of it is ruining equipment.
    01-02-14 02:37 PM
    My father is a computer engineer.... he even knew Dragos.... this badbios isn't bull **** and it is malware affecting the bios...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-02-14 03:36 PM
    My father is a computer engineer.... he even knew Dragos.... this badbios isn't bull **** and it is malware affecting the bios...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    That's cool, your dad tell you what a BIOS is able to do...
    I didn't say is fake, but isn't that proven yet, and being true, is a fact that it afects the bios, that's for sure. but isn't a malware loaded in BIOS, and that was the poin of the discussion

The discussion was about this that the author of this topic said
    If someone can slip inside Foxconn and get malware loaded onto the bios of a blackberry
    extisis likes this.
    01-02-14 03:39 PM
    OK this has gone too far off topic and long enough to have no hope of recovery. The thread will close. It appears a few members are here simply to spread FUD and attack others, I will consider the options and take appropriate action after a full review of their recent activity.
    01-02-14 04:10 PM
318 ... 111213