Ok guys so I've decided to try Engineering Screen thing for the first time and I think I found some pretty interesting info.

Found how to get the MEP code for your device in the E-Screen looks like this (btw that MEP code is specifically for my device and won't work on yours):

That's how u can unlock your phone for free

I also found how to change the frequency bands of your device:

Haven't tried this and i'm not willing to trying as i'm afraid this could be a perminant change. But if you have a Torch for example and have it on TMO (or any other carrier with similar bands) you might want to try this as you may finally get 3G speeds. i'm sure someone brave out there who is willing to try this and let us know what happens.

NOTE: IF YOU WISH TO GO AHEAD WITH THIS, PROCEED AT YOUR OWN CAUTION. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF ANYTHING HAPPENS TO YOU DEVICE. GOOD LUCK.

You can find out how to get to the E-Screen here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...screen-548537/
    Last edited by luqman24; 01-27-11 at 12:41 AM.
    01-27-11 12:38 AM
    A duplicate post of what was already in the howto section. I won't try it, as I don't need to brick my berry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-11 03:58 AM
    the next thread we see.

"guys i think i bricked my phone"
    01-27-11 04:54 AM
    i just tried it on my locked torch. thats not the unlock code. i was very confident that it wasnt. the correct unlock code is 9-10 digits i think. they wouldnt make it that easy.

as for the UMTS thing, i cant find it and im fairly familiar with the E screen and what things in there do. i did a write up 2 years ago on here explaining some of it. why dont you show us the tree that got you to that menu.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 01-27-11 at 08:28 AM.
    01-27-11 08:21 AM
    i just tried it on my locked torch. thats not the unlock code. i was very confident that it wasnt. the correct unlock code is 9-10 digits i think. they wouldnt make it that easy.

as for the UMTS thing, i cant find it and im fairly familiar with the E screen and what things in there do. i did a write up 2 years ago on here explaining some of it. why dont you show us the tree that got you to that menu.
    For the UMTS thing, go to the E-Screen > Mobile Network Engineering Screens > Utilities > Scroll down to Radio Capabilities > UMTS Band. This should get you there.

01-27-11 09:36 AM
    im surprised no one has responded to this. it actually does look like this will change the 3G bands. there is an option to switch it to all 4 bands.

right now it was set to 1,2,5 default (2100,1900 and 850 mhz). the only other option is for including band 6 (800 mhz). there is no option for band 4 (1700 mhz) so this would be useless for anyone hoping to get 3G on an at&t branded phone while using t-mobile or WIND.

the e-screen just gives you the options to select one of the above or combination of them.
    01-28-11 01:15 AM
    That's not the unlock code sorry. Changing the bands won't work either.

01-28-11 01:21 AM
    im surprised no one has responded to this. it actually does look like this will change the 3G bands. there is an option to switch it to all 4 bands.

right now it was set to 1,2,5 default (2100,1900 and 850 mhz). the only other option is for including band 6 (800 mhz). there is no option for band 4 (1700 mhz) so this would be useless for anyone hoping to get 3G on an at&t branded phone while using t-mobile or WIND.

the e-screen just gives you the options to select one of the above or combination of them.
    Yeah I thought the same thing too. I was gonna try this anyways if I had a sim card from a carrier similar to the TMO bands since I had a full warrently on my device anyway but unfortunately I don't.

01-28-11 08:11 AM
    its obviously a hardware restriction and not software.
    01-28-11 08:21 AM
    I just tried to switch the default bands on an AT&T 9700 and a TMO 9780. Neither of them would take. Both of them have identical band options in case anyone was wondering.
    Last edited by BlackberryBlake; 04-11-11 at 10:27 PM.
    04-11-11 10:25 PM
    Those trying to change bands, are you trying to get a GSM phone to work on a CDMA network?
    If so, it will not happen. The hardware has to be in the phone for it to work at the different frequencies.
    04-12-11 07:48 AM
    Those trying to change bands, are you trying to get a GSM phone to work on a CDMA network?
    If so, it will not happen. The hardware has to be in the phone for it to work at the different frequencies.
    No they are trying to get 3g on tmo with an att phone or visa versa.
    04-12-11 08:30 AM
    Messing with the engineering screen can be hazardous to your phone!
    04-12-11 09:07 AM
    Messing with the engineering screen can be hazardous to your phone!
    and also in this case, wont change anything. you cannot change the band of the phone in the escreen. its there for informational purposes only. the bands are hardware related and cannot be switched from one to the other using the escreen.
    04-12-11 11:41 PM
    Ha ha how true
    the next thread we see.

"guys i think i bricked my phone"
    04-13-11 06:48 AM
    If RIM DID have hidden bands in a device trust me on this it would take MUCH more than the e-screen to unlock them! And to date they have NOT done it. It's been suspected of a few devices, but it has never been estabished that a device EVER had extra unused bands inside that RIM could turn on. IF RIM made a practice of this they would have done so with the 9700/9780, instead though they went to the trouble of manufacting 2 different devices, 1 for Tmobile and 1 for ATT (everyone else)
    04-13-11 08:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD