One company that made a splash in less than 2 years!
    It's called "Infinix" it's definitely Chinese and makes high spec Android devices for ridiculous prices...

Listen up, this one is a hot seller on the biggest online store in Egypt.

The Infinix Hot Note X551 Dual Sim. (I'm personally intrigued)

It comes with:
    - HD screen
    - a 1.4 GHz Octa-Core processor.
    - 1 GB of ram.
    - 13 MP camera + 2 MP front camera.
    - Android 4.4 with Android 5 possibly coming.
    - a Freaken 4000 MAh battery.
    - dual sim.
    - 16 GB internal memory with SD support.

I challenge you to give it a price..

It's the equivalent of a 100$ give or take.

And it uses as a Marketing slogan "comes with BBM preloaded"
    I did more research about it and apparently it's all over Africa and Asia.

I know this horse has been beaten to death many times. But I still wonder why BlackBerry makes worth spec devices for more than triple the price... it can't be for "software development costs" that price is still just unreasonable.
    If it were equally speced to that phone, but with the BlackBerry brand and quality. It would easily justify paying triple the price for it.
    But using components from 4 years ago for that price is just ridiculous.

I really wish success for this brand and with the devices they're pushing out (Z3, Classic, Leap) future is looking bleak at best

And a counter to the BlackBerry 10 doesn't need high specs to work smoothly is that we use android apps and they are sluggish as hell. By comparing a Z10 to the Passport you can clearly see that specs make android apps A LOT smoother.

Seller's link:

Infinix Hot Note X551 Dual Sim - 16GB, 3G+Wifi, Grey price, review and buy in Egypt, Amman, Zarqa | Souq.com

Posted via CB10
    techvisor and Bbnivende like this.
    06-29-15 04:32 PM
    There are lot of such cheap android phones with high specs here in India. Xiaomi, Micromax, Celkon, Lava, Gionee just to name a few. There are a lot more other companies catering to the USD 200 or less market which is HUGE. There are also a lot of people who are moving to IOS lately. This trend seems to be increasing by the day as Apple's popularity increases here in India.

Blackberry Classic | Circa 2015
    06-29-15 10:23 PM
    I was hoping that the Foxconn relationship was going to assist with Blackberry pursuing the low and ultra low cost market a little better.

If I recall correctly the Z3 launched in Jakarta, Indonesia for $179 USD equivalent initially. It then retailed for $199 USD. In other markets that the Z3 sold it didn't seem to have ultra high sales which was a little disappointing.

The Classic is $449 USD and $499 in Canada. A great phone at a good price no doubt. If I recall, the Q10 launched for $650 no contract. Still I was expecting the phone to be priced a little more for volume.

Before some people jump all over me regarding profitability and such, I am aware of the need for BB to make money on hardware for which currently they are not. Without knowing the Foxconn manufacturing agreement I suspect the unit cost would be lower for more units being built??

Posted via CB10
    06-30-15 12:34 AM
    The classic is a great phone but definitely not a good price. It uses internals from 2010. And asks for high-mid range price for them. The chip sets and internals of the classic probably cost them 20$ per unit because absolutely no other manufacturer is still using them..

The classic should have went for a maximum of 250$.. you saw what a 100$ phone is like... I don't know where the problem is but it really needs to be worked out..

Posted via CB10
    06-30-15 03:34 AM
    Just compare to this I already posted in another thread...

found out where the BlackBerry users in Africa and Asia are moving to-img_20150630_103749.jpg

found out where the BlackBerry users in Africa and Asia are moving to-img_20150506_173435.jpg

Now tell me where's the fat margins... :-)

�   Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!   �
    06-30-15 04:11 AM
    Why are those so expensive? They aren't even that expensive here in Canada!

Posted via CB10
    06-30-15 08:06 AM
    I sold my 1 year 4 months old Z10 to buy this Infinix Phone for $110. I love this Infinix phone because of 5.5 inch screen size, 4000mAH battery and dual sim card. I charge it only once a day as against Z10 i was charging 3 times a day. What i miss in Z10 is the way BB10 handles email which is far better than Android even the high end Android phones. BB10 also has a superior browser than Android browsers. I would've remained with Z30 but for the absence of dual sim card.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    hifight likes this.
    06-30-15 12:01 PM
    I was hoping that the Foxconn relationship was going to assist with Blackberry pursuing the low and ultra low cost market a little better.

If I recall correctly the Z3 launched in Jakarta, Indonesia for $179 USD equivalent initially. It then retailed for $199 USD. In other markets that the Z3 sold it didn't seem to have ultra high sales which was a little disappointing.

The Classic is $449 USD and $499 in Canada. A great phone at a good price no doubt. If I recall, the Q10 launched for $650 no contract. Still I was expecting the phone to be priced a little more for volume.

Before some people jump all over me regarding profitability and such, I am aware of the need for BB to make money on hardware for which currently they are not. Without knowing the Foxconn manufacturing agreement I suspect the unit cost would be lower for more units being built??

Posted via CB10
    None of those prices are good. Classic is a joke spec wise at the $449 price. Z3 at $199 is sad too. The Z10 and Z30 at launch were priced too high. The market forced BlackBerry to adjust the price accordingly. You can't release a device reliant on an Android runtime and charge twice what Android OEM's do for the same specs.

Posted via Z30
    06-30-15 02:19 PM
    Just compare to this I already posted in another thread...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150630_103749.jpg 
Views:	2261 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	360113

Name:	IMG_20150506_173435.jpg 
Views:	2259 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	360114

Now tell me where's the fat margins... :-)

Where is this? If Australia probably about right against the US dollar. Blame your currency. However when I was down there in February I enjoyed the differential on the over inflated prices I saw. Buying a 6 pack of beer was ridiculous!

Posted via Z30
    06-30-15 02:22 PM
    One company that made a splash in less than 2 years!
    It's called "Infinix" it's definitely Chinese and makes high spec Android devices for ridiculous prices...

Listen up, this one is a hot seller on the biggest online store in Egypt.

The Infinix Hot Note X551 Dual Sim. (I'm personally intrigued)

It comes with:
    - HD screen
    - a 1.4 GHz Octa-Core processor.
    - 1 GB of ram.
    - 13 MP camera + 2 MP front camera.
    - Android 4.4 with Android 5 possibly coming.
    - a Freaken 4000 MAh battery.
    - dual sim.
    - 16 GB internal memory with SD support.

I challenge you to give it a price..

It's the equivalent of a 100$ give or take.

And it uses as a Marketing slogan "comes with BBM preloaded"
    I did more research about it and apparently it's all over Africa and Asia.

I know this horse has been beaten to death many times. But I still wonder why BlackBerry makes worth spec devices for more than triple the price... it can't be for "software development costs" that price is still just unreasonable.
    If it were equally speced to that phone, but with the BlackBerry brand and quality. It would easily justify paying triple the price for it.
    But using components from 4 years ago for that price is just ridiculous.

I really wish success for this brand and with the devices they're pushing out (Z3, Classic, Leap) future is looking bleak at best

And a counter to the BlackBerry 10 doesn't need high specs to work smoothly is that we use android apps and they are sluggish as hell. By comparing a Z10 to the Passport you can clearly see that specs make android apps A LOT smoother.

Seller's link:

Infinix Hot Note X551 Dual Sim - 16GB, 3G+Wifi, Grey price, review and buy in Egypt, Amman, Zarqa | Souq.com

Posted via CB10
    Average Canadian Engineer will have salary north of $100,000 a year. A Chinese Engineer might be $10,000-$40,000.

Building a reference design is cheap compared to spinning your own board with encryption process during manufacturing.

Making an OS costs more than slapping your logo into AOSP.

There's lots of reasons and drives me bonkers that people can't think of just a few reasons...

Posted via CB10
    Xenolock likes this.
    06-30-15 02:33 PM
    Where is this? If Australia probably about right against the US dollar. Blame your currency. However when I was down there in February I enjoyed the differential on the over inflated prices I saw. Buying a 6 pack of beer was ridiculous!

Posted via Z30
    Those photos were taken this month and last month at my local Officeworks store (Queensland, Australia).

I paid $816 (RRP 899) for the Passport (Optus store, outright). Hey, the previous gen Samsungs were by far not **that expensive**, probably in the $600-800 range.

Here's the standard S5 and S6:

found out where the BlackBerry users in Africa and Asia are moving to-img_20150506_173536.jpg

found out where the BlackBerry users in Africa and Asia are moving to-img_20150506_173439.jpg

What happened? Is that Edge really that desirable?

:-D

Back on topic,
    how can Samsung's prices (or price differences) be justified against those Chinese manufacturers and those above mentioned phones that now seem to be popular in Africa and Asia?

What makes Sammy different? It's all Android anyway, and TouchWiz is not everybody's favorite.

06-30-15 03:51 PM
    Those photos were taken this month and last month at my local Officeworks store (Queensland, Australia).

I paid $816 (RRP 899) for the Passport (Optus store, outright). Hey, the previous gen Samsungs were by far not **that expensive**, probably in the $600-800 range.

Here's the standard S5 and S6:

Name:	IMG_20150506_173536.jpg 
Views:	1241 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	360192

Name:	IMG_20150506_173439.jpg 
Views:	1234 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	360193

What happened? Is that Edge really that desirable?

Back on topic,
    how can Samsung's prices (or price differences) be justified against those Chinese manufacturers and those above mentioned phones that now seem to be popular in Africa and Asia?

What makes Sammy different? It's all Android anyway, and TouchWiz is not everybody's favorite.

Actually yes it is that desirable compared to supply available. Samsung predicted they would sell one Edge to every two regular S6, and it has actually been about 1:1. They have issues with screen production limitations on the Edge, so device shortages, and higher prices. That's why if BlackBerry is using a similar screen or the same on the slider, then it could cause delays if Samsung can't meet demand for their own products.

Posted via Z30
    06-30-15 05:22 PM
    Actually yes it is that desirable compared to supply available. Samsung predicted they would sell one Edge to every two regular S6, and it has actually been about 1:1. They have issues with screen production limitations on the Edge, so device shortages, and higher prices. That's why if BlackBerry is using a similar screen or the same on the slider, then it could cause delays if Samsung can't meet demand for their own products.

Posted via Z30
    I'll make one negative equation (or inequality, correct term):

desired =|= desirable

Depends on the user.

06-30-15 10:59 PM
    Posted via CB10
    07-01-15 12:36 AM
    Trust me Op for that price and hardware specs, I'd still rather pay for a leap 3x the price. For me it's all about the experience and once you're hooked on BB10, going back to the cheesy Android platform is just going to make me feel uncomfortable.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-15 02:26 AM
    Trust me Op for that price and hardware specs, I'd still rather pay for a leap 3x the price. For me it's all about the experience and once you're hooked on BB10, going back to the cheesy Android platform is just going to make me feel uncomfortable.

Posted via CB10
    The OP probably isn't addressing the current BB10 users but those who don't or doesn't even know about BB10. The only factor that tempts them is specs versus price

07-01-15 05:10 AM
    The OP probably isn't addressing the current BB10 users but those who don't or doesn't even know about BB10. The only factor that tempts them is specs versus price

Those and BlackBerry 10 users with no real touch screen upgrade as of yet.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-15 12:56 PM
    Average Canadian Engineer will have salary north of $100,000 a year. A Chinese Engineer might be $10,000-$40,000.

Building a reference design is cheap compared to spinning your own board with encryption process during manufacturing.

Making an OS costs more than slapping your logo into AOSP.

There's lots of reasons and drives me bonkers that people can't think of just a few reasons...

Posted via CB10
    If you read my post I'd said I'd happily pay the BlackBerry price (3x infinix prince) if the specs were comparable to the infinix device (last year specs).
    BlackBerry uses specs from 4 years ago..

Posted via CB10
    07-01-15 01:02 PM
    I think the perception of spec and price versus experience can be changed if only Chen could budget out a little marketing. They have a great product but no knows or have a clue what BB10 is all about. I never thought BB10 was this great until I saw the Passport and took a chance and ordered it through Amazon and fell in love with it more and more every day. Looking back I asked myself, why wasn't this OS marketed to me in the first place. I never really knew BB10 until I saw the awe inspiring designed Passport.

07-01-15 02:32 PM
    I think the perception of spec and price versus experience can be changed if only Chen could budget out a little marketing. They have a great product but no knows or have a clue what BB10 is all about. I never thought BB10 was this great until I saw the Passport and took a chance and ordered it through Amazon and fell in love with it more and more every day. Looking back I asked myself, why wasn't this OS marketed to me in the first place. I never really knew BB10 until I saw the awe inspiring designed Passport.
    I don't think that you understand how bad BlackBerry�s value proposition is, compared to the competition.

BlackBerry has 3 problems, when it comes down to local Android manufacturers:
    Specs, apps and price.

Even if BlackBerry would make a phone with the same specs, the value proposition wouldn't be there at the same price point, because of the lacking apps (even though this is less of a problem in developing economies than "in the West").

If the apps would be there, then the specs would be the problem, because BlackBerry simply refuses to use modern specs (Passport being the exception).

In both of these scenarios, because there is no other meaningful differentiator, BlackBerry would have to come in lower than the competition, in terms of price.
    If Micromax sells a Galaxy S5 knock off for 300$, BlackBerry would need to sell it for 200$, because the overall value proposition is inferior.
    Z30Commission likes this.
    07-01-15 02:40 PM
    They have a great product but no knows or have a clue what BB10 is all about
    Unfortunately and no one would care even if BB spend tons of money on marketing. People have been brainwashed already, iPhone is the best smartphone out there and if you can't afford it Google is your friend, but BB is dead. That's what the people are thinking now
    07-01-15 02:42 PM
    Unfortunately and no one would care even if BB spend tons of money on marketing. People have been brainwashed already, iPhone is the best smartphone out there and if you can't afford it Google is your friend, but BB is dead. That's what the people are thinking now
    It's about the value proposition.
    Why buy a 500$ phone without apps and specs from yesteryear (BB10), if I can get a phone with far better specs and an ecosystem for 300$ (random Android phone)?

If you can explain that to some 3 billion, BlackBerry would have no issues.
    But as it stands now, "Nobody" seems to understand why they should pay more, to get so much less (0.1% marketshare speaks for itself).
    Donvald likes this.
    07-01-15 02:50 PM
    DUAL SIMS...

In many of these markets dual sims are a must as there is very little roaming between carriers. And no one carrier seems to provide full coverage in these markets. I remember back when the Z3 launched we had a few CrackBerry members from Indonesia here. They said most everyone used prepaid cards with multiple phones.... and that Phones that had dual sims were very popular over there. Because even in one city you might have four carriers, and each one only covers are portion of the city. So to "stay in touch" you needed a phone for each coverage area.

I think BlackBerry's purchase of Movirtu around that time had many hoping to see a consumer software solution for these markets...

But when you have to buy three, four or five phones... you probable do go cheap. Which is one reason the Z3 had no shot at even bringing over a significant portion of BBOS users. But a $500 BlackBerry that could use four virtual SIM, with no extra cost... would sell very well.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    07-01-15 03:17 PM
    If you read my post I'd said I'd happily pay the BlackBerry price (3x infinix prince) if the specs were comparable to the infinix device (last year specs).
    BlackBerry uses specs from 4 years ago..

Posted via CB10
    4 years ago? BS. You've lost all credibility with me. You're just a whiner with unrealistic expectations.
    07-01-15 05:35 PM
    4 years ago? BS. You've lost all credibility with me. You're just a whiner with unrealistic expectations.
    He exaggerated. The specs on every BlackBerry device minus the Passport is 3 years and a couple months old. That would have been when the Samsung Galaxy S3 launched with the same SOC, S4 Plus, you see in most BB10 devices, even those launched this year. It is sad and shows that BlackBerry is out of touch with the market and why they are now selling fewer than a Million devices a quarter.

Posted via Z30
    Last edited by lnichols; 07-01-15 at 06:13 PM.
    Donvald and Z30Commission like this.
    07-01-15 05:57 PM
35 12