Is there a way to batch edit all my contacts phone numbers to this format:

(xxx)xxx-xxxx

I have searched and searched and cannot find any way to do this. Is there an app? Do I need to download them into outlook and then resync, maybe excel? Has anyone done this? Thanks

- KrossX
    02-04-10 09:54 AM
    I don't know, but I just enter all mine in 10 digit mode with no dashes.
    02-04-10 10:33 AM
    Since I don't think there is any scripting or macro program that runs on a BB, you would have to do it on a computer. And probably in some list format so that you could just move down a line, zero in on the number position, if it is fixed, and then edit in the parens and dashes.
    02-04-10 10:41 AM
    It could be done using excel,
    you'd dump your contacts into excel, and format the numbers, might need an extension, not 100% sure, but on the device there is no way to do it
    02-04-10 11:10 AM
    has anyone done this? or seen any how-to threads on the excel method? Really surprised more people don't want the numbers formatted that way.

- KrossX
    02-04-10 12:56 PM
    Sync your contacts into outlook, then export your outlook contacs to a CSV (windows) format. Open the csv file and custom format all phone number columns to: (###) ###-####, then save and import the CSV back into outlook, then re-sync your device with outlook. Process should only take maybe 10 mins.
    02-04-10 01:49 PM
    Sync your contacts into outlook, then export your outlook contacs to a CSV (windows) format. Open the csv file and custom format all phone number columns to: (###) ###-####, then save and import the CSV back into outlook, then re-sync your device with outlook. Process should only take maybe 10 mins.
    I'm gonna be impressed if this works =-)

I will try tonight when I get home. Will let you know. Thank you for the info

- Kross
    02-04-10 02:29 PM
    I used Outlook and Excel, pretty much the way mookish described it. Formatting all the numbers worked great. The problem I had was excel turned all the email addresses into text, so when I imported the file back into Outlook, ALL the email addresses were broken. I have over a 1000 contacts. That was a lot of email to fix.
    02-04-10 03:42 PM
    I used Outlook and Excel, pretty much the way mookish described it. Formatting all the numbers worked great. The problem I had was excel turned all the email addresses into text, so when I imported the file back into Outlook, ALL the email addresses were broken. I have over a 1000 contacts. That was a lot of email to fix.
    I can't see how an email address can be "broken" as long as it's in name@domain.com format it will work....what is there to "fix"? I've done this neumerous times, from my work pc into excel then to my home pc and never had a problem with either a link or email address.
    02-04-10 04:37 PM
    I can't see how an email address can be "broken" as long as it's in name@domain.com format it will work....what is there to "fix"? I've done this neumerous times, from my work pc into excel then to my home pc and never had a problem with either a link or email address.
    BIS email addresses imported normally. BES email addresses imported like this: x:500:/o=NNNN/ou=MMMM/cn=Recipients/cn=firstname.lastname and were not usable. I had to delete and reenter each one from the global address book. It may well have been user error, and I never figured it out.
    02-04-10 06:40 PM
    That was a lot of email to fix.
    That was a subtle lesson to BACKUP before trying anything dramatic
    02-04-10 07:02 PM
    I had a backup, of course. But restoring the backup would have cost me the phone number fixes. And I'd made a lot of those, too. I chose to keep the reformatted numbers and reload the emails. But I wouldn't export and import again.
    02-04-10 07:23 PM
    BIS email addresses imported normally. BES email addresses imported like this: x:500:/o=NNNN/ou=MMMM/cn=Recipients/cn=firstname.lastname and were not usable. I had to delete and reenter each one from the global address book. It may well have been user error, and I never figured it out.
    Ok, I've seen that with BES email addresses too! I don't know why BES emails do that. It only happens when I add contacts directly from my work global address book into outlook. I normally don't add contacts this way since they are work contacts and I can always just use the remote lookup on my berry. If I have any work contacts that I also talk to on a personal level, I'll just add them manually then they export and import fine.
    02-04-10 07:28 PM
    Exactly. If I add them manually, firstname.lastname@domain.gov, they're fine. But I normally add them from the Global directory, and all those entries were hosed. I was hoping you were going to tell me it was a simple user error, and then tell me how to prevent it in the future!
    02-04-10 07:32 PM
    just enter the 10 digits...
    02-04-10 07:35 PM
    Worked perfectly....

1. Synced to Outlook
    2. File > Export > to a file > CSV (windows) > save to desktop
    3. Open in Excel > highlight all columns that contain phone numbers (entire column) > Format > Cells > Custom: (###) ###-####
    4. Go through the columns and make sure there is no numbers I saved with hyphens (trying to make it look less dumb with all the numbers put together). If there is numbers that don't match the (###) ###-####, then I just make it where they are all numbers, hit enter and it auto-formats then to (###) ###-####. Honestly there were only like 5-10 in 700 that I had done this way.
    5. Save, hit yes to some dialogue
    6. Goto outlook, delete ALL contacts
    7. Outlook File > Export and Import > Import from file > select file, BAM
    8. Goto desktop manager, sync, sync settings, edit address book, make it where the sync is ONE-WAY SYNC to PHONE from DESKTOP. It will erase all contacts and use the outlook ones (formatted correctly)
    9. Sync
    10. Enjoy

This is the WAY-TOO-IN-DEPTH addition. But it's what I did and it worked. Exactly like Mookish describes, just with more detail. Thanks Mookish!

- Kross
    03-20-10 02:17 PM
    I liked when my columns were too narrow and my phone numbers showed up as exponential numbers like:

2.06E+07

It was a shock at first.
    03-20-10 05:04 PM
    I liked when my columns were too narrow and my phone numbers showed up as exponential numbers like:

2.06E+07

It was a shock at first.
    I work with excel regularly so I knew what was going on, but I'm glad you posted that so others dont freak out! I can imagine myself looking at that and thinking "Oh well, something must have gone wrong!" Thanks F2

- Kross
    03-21-10 11:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD