Hi guys,

I just got BES with Exchange support set up on my phone and did a full Enterprise Activation. Everything is working and the stuff that was in my Exchange account is now on my phone.

However, all content didn't sync phone-to-server. The tasks and notes that I had on my phone are now on the Exchange server, but none of the contacts or calendar entries. They are still only stored locally on my phone.

How do I force it to merge these existing entries into the Exchange server?

Thanks for all help!
    12-01-09 10:04 AM
    I contacted Intermedia (my Exchange host) about this, and they said there was no functionality to do this on the device. They said there may be a way to do it in Blackberry Desktop Manager, but they could not tell me how, and I can't find it.

There has to be a way to get existing BB contacts on to the server!
    12-01-09 05:26 PM
    Is wireless reconciliation turned on?
    12-01-09 05:28 PM
    Is wireless reconciliation turned on?
    Isn't that done on emails only?
    I see that in contacts options I have two Address Books (both named desktop). One has 228 entries and for that one I cannot enable wireless sync, so that's obviously what was on my phone already. The other has 0 entries but Wireless sync set to Yes so, I dont know how to merge these two.
    12-01-09 05:39 PM
    In contacts - options, click on Desktop, and there should be an option to turn wireless sync on or off. Is the option greyed out or just isn't there at all?
    12-01-09 06:47 PM
    Go in your Options in Calendar and Contacts on your phone and turn Wireless Sync on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-09 09:33 PM
    With BES, the Calendar, Tasks, Memos, Address Book and Messages all sync OTA to the Enterprise. I've used the procedure below when synching has stopped working. I've never had to use it before the initial sync, but it might be worth trying.

It sometimes happens that OTA sync is lost for one of the five apps that BES supports. I don't know why this happens, but here is a solution that has always worked for me:

You should know that there is a very slight risk of corrupting the OS on your device anytime you do a battery pull, so be sure to have a current backup before performing this procedure.
    1. Options / Advanced Options / Service Books
    2. Select the entry "Desktop [SYNC]"
    3. Push the Menu button
    4. Select Delete
    5. Answer "yes" to the "are you sure question?"
    6. Without turning off the blackberry, remove the battery
    7. Leave the battery out for a few seconds
    8. Put the battery back in
    9. After the blackberry boots up, select Options / Advanced Options / Service Books
    10. Push the Menu button
    11. Select Undelete

The Wireless Sync option should now be present for Contacts, Tasks, Notes, Messages, and Calendar. It may be necessary to do this procedure more than once. The first time I did it, the service book came back, but the Wireless Sync option did not come back. I repeated the entire process and the second time the Wireless Sync capability was restored. So if you do it and it doesn't work, repeat the entire process. I've successfully used this process to restore OTA synching for contacts, notes, tasks and the calendar. I've never had the problem with Messages.

If this process doesn't work, Blackberry Technical Support Knowledge Base Article KB10105 may apply. Here is the link: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/artic...AL_Public.html

If this Knowledge Base article applies, your IT department will have to solve the problem. It's beyond user solution.

Calendar Corollary: If you've done the procedure above, and all five apps are showing Wireless Sync, but the Calendar is not showing appointments, then turn off wireless sync in the calendar options, exit out of the calendar, go back into the calendar, and turn wireless sync back on. I've had to do this extra step to get the calendar to pick up existing appointments.
    12-01-09 09:40 PM
    Thanks so much for the input, that was very helpful.

I followed your advice JeffH, but it didn't solve my issue.

After trying to fix this however, I think I have found the problem:

I have two "Desktop" entries for Calendar and for Contacts. I believe one is there from a previous BES Exchange account I had set up at one time on my previous phone (8900), but since I did the Desktop Manager's "Switch device wizard", apparently it still believes the contacts belong to that account.

Because one of the two "Desktop" profiles have all the entries in them, and the Wireless Sync option is greyed out, most likely because it can't connect obviously to the BES account this profile once was associated with.

How can I make my BB understand that account is dead and treat these entries as "it's own"?

This is quite the messed up problem and I really appreciate anyone whoe even bothers looking into this.
    12-01-09 11:43 PM
    OK so these two "Desktop entries" I am referring to were the Contact Lists available under Contact options.

Under calendar options however, I have one "Desktop" Calendar with 0 entries and Wireless Sync enabled. Then there is a "Device Default" which has all the entries in it, and Wireless Sync is greyed out.

I am now re-activating Enterprise to see what happens.
    12-01-09 11:51 PM
    It may be necessary to let your BES admin wipe your phone and reload everything from the BES. That should eliminate the duplicate databases. I had to do that when my last upgrade (from 4.7.1.40 to 4.7.1.67) had a fatal error and aborted.
    12-02-09 09:11 AM
    Re-activating only gave me a third "Desktop" Contact list, not much help at all.

It may be necessary to let your BES admin wipe your phone and reload everything from the BES. That should eliminate the duplicate databases. I had to do that when my last upgrade (from 4.7.1.40 to 4.7.1.67) had a fatal error and aborted.
    Thanks for the tip. But would that wipe all the data on my device in the old "Desktop" account?
    12-02-09 10:03 AM
    Reactivating gave me a second, then a third desktop as well. That's when I asked the IT Guy to remotely wipe it. That deleted all the data in all the Desktops. Then I activated and got one Desktop with the proper content and no duplicate entries.
    12-02-09 10:25 AM
    Reactivating gave me a second, then a third desktop as well. That's when I asked the IT Guy to remotely wipe it. That deleted all the data in all the Desktops. Then I activated and got one Desktop with the proper content and no duplicate entries.
    OK, that sounds like a solution, only it would actually wipe all of my contact and calendar entries, right? Since they are stored in a previous "Desktop" entry I mean.
    I guess I could back them up with Desktop Manager.
    12-02-09 10:28 AM
    Back them up with Desktop Manager, just to be on the safe side. But if your BES works the same as mine, your personal data is backed up on the BES. When you activate, that copy of the data is what will be loaded into your Desktop. It should all come back without you having to restore your personal backup.
    12-02-09 10:32 AM
    OK I've done a remote wipe, but all three "Desktop" entries are still there! Can I delete them locally somehow?
    12-02-09 12:20 PM
    All three desktop entries came back after you reactivated? I don't understand that. Can you ask your IT guy if he can see them?
    12-02-09 12:29 PM
    Conveniently I am the IT guy

I did a remote wipe, but I haven't done a re-activation after that. Should I? The remote wipe did not seem to delete anything at all actually..
    12-02-09 01:43 PM
    The remote wipe didn't work, in that case. You can see it executing on the BlackBerry screen, and you'll have no choice but to reactivate. Sorry for the delayed response. Do the remote wipe again.

12-02-09 08:20 PM
    Well, I guess the remote wipe doesn't work. I've done it many times now, done battery pulls, resent service books etc., but everything is still there after I do a Remote Wipe.

Isn't there a way to locally delete the "Desktop" Contact Lists?

Thanks for the help!!
    12-03-09 12:29 AM
    I got fed up and did a security wipe of all personal data, then reactivated BES. It required some re-configuration, but solved my problem! The BB feels clean..
    12-03-09 10:05 AM
    Excellent. Glad you found a tool that worked. I'm puzzled why the remote wipe didn't.

12-03-09 10:25 AM
    Me too.

Thanks for all the help JeffH!
    12-03-09 10:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD