I am in this boat, had to get an iPhone for work, they use Mobile Iron for sync/security. (I use those terms loosely)

Our email recently went to Microsoft Exchange, and I was able to get my Z10 sync'd without an add on app like mobile iron. I forward calls from the work phone to my Z10, got all my emails, contacts, and calendar appointments, so now the iPhone is literally a paper weight. I hate that thing, and refuse carry any more.
    gritsinct and ptpete like this.
    05-20-14 10:53 AM
    Recently, in a cost-cutting measure, my company confiscated all our Verizon Bold 9930's and gave us iPhone 5s's instead.

I passionately HATE the damned thing!

I loved my 9930. It was the ultimate business tool. The iPhone is nothing more than a social tool for a 16 year old girl.

Here's what I'd like to do:

I'd like to purchase my own Blackberry (be it another 9930 or a Q10) and make it a clone of the reviled iPhone so that I have an effective tool to use at work once again. I can't do it through my employer because they are dead set against using anything but the iPhones. This way, I get a Blackberry again, and the iPhone gets put in a drawer and only comes out when I have to visit the home office.

IS THIS POSSIBLE??
    If the company gave you the phone, which they did, I suggest that you use the phone you want as your personal device and use the company issued phone for work. I manage the mobile fleet at my agency, and we are very specific as to what we want our end users to do with the devices they are given.

Just saying....
    05-20-14 11:26 AM
    Just add a line to your business card with your "personal" number, and then start "having problems" with your iphone. Basically slowly get people used to calling the other number, and then you can toss the iphone in a drawer and forget about it.
    05-20-14 11:50 AM
    Just add a line to your business card with your "personal" number, and then start "having problems" with your iphone. Basically slowly get people used to calling the other number, and then you can toss the iphone in a drawer and forget about it.
    Hahahahaha.

I'd get fired. If my company says use an iPhone, I'm going to use what they tell me. I value my job and the income it provides to risk it over a phone.

We had the same problem at work. IS stopped supporting BIS a couple years ago and we were given the option of Androids or iPhones. Since I already had an iPhone, I opted for that.
    05-20-14 12:51 PM
    So at this rate people are going to poo poo at the guy and hopes he loses his job rather than to actually try and see how far he can go, then present the options to him.

Great effort, trolls. Great effort.
    *slow clap*

Posted via CB10
    Actually, the only response that I feel is correct in this situation is "contact your IT, supervisor, or mobile fleet manager."

The OP is attempting something that could get him fired or reprimanded. I don't feel comfortable giving any other response. That's not being a troll, that's being cautious.
    05-20-14 02:09 PM
    I'd quit. Don't know about you.
    05-20-14 02:55 PM
    I'd quit. Don't know about you.
    He's kidding!!!!!!!......do not heed his advice

Sent from another device other than my Q10 ,using CB Forums
    Kennedy.L likes this.
    05-20-14 03:31 PM
    Yes, engaging the IT supervisor with the "why" iPhone question might be the best way to go. Once you know why, perhaps the problem can be easily overcome. If the why is because they want to dump BES, then you can ask to have a Z30 or a Q10 since they might not realize that BB10 phones don't require a BES to function. Since your IT person isn't really an IT person I think this is an entirely possible scenario. If the why is because they get a wonderful "deal" then you can offer to buy your own Q10 and give back your issued one so that she has a spare to support the remainder of the fleet. She might be very happy with this scenario. If the why is because they want specific apps on your device or to "find your iPhone buddy" to see where you are at all times, you're hooped or you can offer other apps instead. Probably a better chance of long term success and possibly even a chance to use your upgrade on a Q10 instead of the iPhone which they can give to someone else. (or keep for a spare)
    05-20-14 03:32 PM
    Your phone number goes with your sim card. I don't think that the sim cards are compatible (different sizes), though. You may have to get a new sim card and move the phone number over. However, once you do that the old sim card can no longer be used (5s becomes a wifi only at that point). I'm assuming you're on GSM here. No idea about CDMA phones.

As for email, you should be able to use the same email account so long as it supports ActiveSync, like Exchange, Hotmail, etc... Really depends on the details.
    You can get an adapter for the Sim card online for a few bucks...

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 04:27 PM
    If you tell your boss I'm sure they won't care once they realize you won't be costing them money. They didn't switch phones as much as they did service. So if you're buying your own phone and hooking it up to their system they probably won't care. I say get a sim converter and talk to your IT staff so that they help you do it right and you don't get busted over a phone.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 04:55 PM
    Whatever you end up using you should contact the Oxford English Dictionary to see if they want to use your predicament as the definition of "first world problem"
    anon6040766 likes this.
    05-20-14 05:05 PM
    first: BBOS devices require BIS or BES to function, so swapping the SIM wouldn't work even if the 9930 supported LTE.

Second, you have made your objections known to your employer: now articulate them clearly in an email prefaces with "I'll do my best to adapt, but..."

the point here is that it sounds you're being tossed to the lions and being expected to be as productive with the device as you are with the 9930.

Is training being offered? Do you need hours of practice in touchscreen typing to approach the degree of productivity you had on the BB?

My point is if your employer takes away something that works well and replaces it with something that makes it harder for you to do your job well, if that reflects badly on you, a preemptive measure will protect you from "undue" criticism. If someone took your windows PC and gives you a Mac running OSX, your productivity would suffer until you got comfortable with using OSX all day.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-14 05:29 PM
    As far as cost cutting is concerned, if your boss is activating 28 new phones, he's getting the phones for free.
    As far as figuring out how to use an iPhone, ask any teenage kid. They are super familiar with Apple products since they all probably had an iPod and an iPhone for years.
    I still miss my old Curve as well. But I've gotten used to my iPhone.
    Don't go mustang and risk losing your job.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    05-20-14 06:33 PM
    Q10 is awesome. Go that route.

OK........ just did a little reading. Verizon now allows swapping 4G LTE SIM cards between 4G devices without having to switch anything on the account. Unfortunately, that's ONLY for 4G devices. So if I wanted to do what I was planning, the 9930 is out. I'd have to go Q10.
    05-20-14 07:44 PM
    As far as figuring out how to use an iPhone, ask any teenage kid. They are super familiar with Apple products since they all probably had an iPod and an iPhone for years.
    Yeah, that sounds good in theory but not in reality. Maybe if you want to know how to use SnapChat or Twitter or to add a funny word into auto-correct, but most don't really know it that well. Definitely not well enough to TEACH someone to use it efficiently for business.
    05-20-14 08:54 PM
    YouTube also has a lot of tutorials on pretty much anything you want to know about any device.
    My teenage kids showed me pretty much all I needed to know about using my phone. But then again, my needs might not be the same as anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    05-20-14 10:41 PM
    Not sure how, but supposedly the phone bill went from $60k a year to $16k with the new iPhone plan. I have no idea. I just want my Blackberry back!
    Wait til he sees the itoy don't compress the data like the blackberry anymore....lmao that 16k will balloon way past the supposed 60 he was paying before!!!!!! dumb! There is no cost savings switching to apple they have the most expensive platform at the least business use.
    05-20-14 11:03 PM
    Actually, the only response that I feel is correct in this situation is "contact your IT, supervisor, or mobile fleet manager."

The OP is attempting something that could get him fired or reprimanded. I don't feel comfortable giving any other response. That's not being a troll, that's being cautious.
    If a hot salsa dancing IT person was at my job I might just get in trouble so she would have to personally speak to me. Then I would bribe her with a pint of slightly melted Moose Tracks and a silver spoon to slowly twirl and.......then perhaps who knows...

Posted via CB10
    05-21-14 12:14 AM
    If a hot salsa dancing IT person was at my job I might just get in trouble so she would have to personally speak to me. Then I would bribe her with a pint of slightly melted Moose Tracks and a silver spoon to slowly twirl and.......then perhaps who knows...

Posted via CB10
    Well you would have to be reprimanded for violating agency rules.....harshly reprimanded.....

Sent from my AWESOME gold 64G iPhone 5s via Tapatalk
    05-21-14 03:55 AM
    Nanosim to microsim and regular sim are going for a dollar on ebay.
    If your employer installed Mobile device management app like MobileIron/ Good/BES they would know right away that you changed phones. Do you see these kind of apps on your iPhone?

Developer of AutoCrop Scanner
    Considering the 'cost savings' they are claiming - there's a good chance there's no true MDM in place and they just bought the phones and wrote off the whole need for it.
    05-21-14 09:42 AM
    Wow! Ya know, I'm almost sorry I asked the original question here. This has gotten so convoluted, its comical.

The iPhone decision was simply a cost thing. "Decision makers" (and I use that term loosely) needed to cut a budget because other 'brilliant ideas' they had for years got them in hot water with our European overlords. They want us to use the iPhone to justify their budget cutting measure in the eyes of their masters. Its not a matter of policy - its a matter of pride.

We run no special software. No MDM. Our phones are simply used for voice and email. Hell, my email address isn't even a company email address. I use a Gmail account! In fact, when it comes to business technology, I think we're still stuck in 2003.

I simply wanted to know if there was any way to pull the Verizon 4G LTE SIM out of the iPhone and put it in a Blackberry Q10 (that I bought myself) that I could use for my own convenience, efficiency, and comfort when I'm out in the field............ which is the case 99.9% of my year!...... and then switch it back on the rare occasion that I have to be in the presence of the one person who cares for 15 minutes out of 365 days.

My own research seems to say; "Yes", because Verizon now no longer cares if you switch 4G LTE SIMs between multiple devices and doesn't require prior notification of doing so.

So thank you to all who offered constructive advise, and to those who didn't: I'll simply hold my tongue.
    Last edited by dano4272; 05-21-14 at 12:52 PM.
    05-21-14 12:39 PM
    OP, FYI- you can only freely switch SIMs on phones that have been active on the account for at least 30 days. If not for security reasons you'll have to call Verizon to switch phones. For example, I had a Q10 for months and then got a Z30. For the first month I couldn't just switch back and forth, but now that I have the Z30 for over a month, I can switch at will.

Wow! Ya know, I'm almost sorry I asked the original question here. This has gotten so convoluted, its comical.

The iPhone decision was simply a cost thing. "Decision makers" (and I use that term loosely) needed to cut a budget because other 'brilliant ideas' they had for years got them in hot water with our European overlords. They want us to use the iPhone to justify their budget cutting measure in the eyes of their masters. Its not a matter of policy - its a matter of pride.

We run no special software. No MDM. Our phones are simply used for voice and email. Hell, my email address isn't even a company email address. I use a Gmail account! In fact, when it comes to business technology, I think we're still stuck in 2003.

I simply wanted to know if there was any way to pull the Verizon 4G LTE SIM out of the iPhone and put it in a Blackberry Q10 (that I bought myself) that I could use for my own convenience, efficiency, and comfort when I'm out in the field............ which is the case 99.9% of my year!...... and then switch it back on the rare occasion that I have to be in the presence of the one person who cares for 15 minutes out of 365 days.

My own research seems to say; "Yes", because Verizon now no longer cares if you switch 4G LTE SIMs between multiple devices and doesn't require prior notification of doing so.

So thank you to all who offered constructive advise, and to those who didn't: I'll simply hold my tongue.

Sent from my...go ahead and guess?
    05-21-14 03:28 PM
    Nope. No special mail. I use a Gmail account for work.

The carrier is Verizon and there is a nano SIM card.

So all I'd have to do is swap the SIM cards? Does the Q10 take a nano SIM?

Configure your email on both device Q10 and iPhone 5S keep update your 5s through Wifi once a day. you can swap SIM between iPhone 5s and Q10 easily. here is how to link

How to Use an iPhone 5 NanoSIM In a BlackBerry Z10 | TechnoBuffalo
    LoneStarRed likes this.
    05-21-14 03:42 PM
    Wait til he sees the itoy don't compress the data like the blackberry anymore....lmao that 16k will balloon way past the supposed 60 he was paying before!!!!!! dumb! There is no cost savings switching to apple they have the most expensive platform at the least business use.
    THERE'S the iToy comment I've been waiting on.

Least business use? That's funny. iPhones can do more than just play Angry Birds and take photos with fancy filters of food
    bbq10l and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-22-14 12:28 PM
    Nothing if not predictable.

Posted from my awesome Q10 via CB10.
    05-22-14 12:49 PM
75 123