If you go Android, realistically all you need to consider (beyond price) is form factor.
    While some might look down their noses at bloatware (ie.. Samsung being the worst offender), the reality is that you can now easily remove most bloat without having to root. And then too, if you choose not to remove bloat, the devices have enough RAM and storage that you'd never notice the difference. Unless you have several (emphasis on several) gigs of locally stored media, it's a non issue.

Via Tapatalk
    3Dee likes this.
    03-24-15 05:27 PM
    You lost me BB10 phones do not need BES to operate and they run Android apps. So unless they are forcing you to move to another platform you lost me on this one. But good luck!
    Sideloading usually isn't appreciated in a corporate context, when it comes down to phones.

I would go with an iPhone 6+, if price is of no concern.
    03-24-15 05:29 PM
    If you go Android, realistically all you need to consider (beyond price) is form factor.
    While some might look down their noses at bloatware (ie.. Samsung being the worst offender), the reality is that you can now easily remove most bloat without having to root. And then too, if you choose not to remove bloat, the devices have enough RAM and storage that you'd never notice the difference. Unless you have several (emphasis on several) gigs of locally stored media, it's a non issue.

Via Tapatalk
    Realistically though, if it's a work phone, OP is likely looking for the path of least resistance (as do most users). OOBE.

In which case pure vanilla Android with no skinning is likely his/her best option, imho. If they have to go to the trouble of removing even the slightest bit of bloatware, they might as well take the time to learn root. But if it's a corporate phone, that might not be permissible.

Yeah, form factor would be important too (to me personally anyway).
    03-24-15 05:35 PM
    Buy a used iphone 5 or a used higher end Android.
    IPhone 5 and keep charger in your pocket 24/7

With diplomatic Passport
    03-24-15 05:39 PM
    OP are you purchasing on contract with the carrier or buying the phone outright?

This is a really good deal for att

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=fGr0oxOR
    03-24-15 05:44 PM
    This may sound like a dumb question, but could OP take the sim card out of their new phone and put it in their BlackBerry after hours? Would it make for a fully functional BlackBerry?
    03-24-15 06:14 PM
    So in other words OP, your company is trying to make you less productive? Humm.

I hate Good. They are a very arrogant company. At least offer choice including BB10 and WP8/10.

Sexy White Z30
    03-24-15 06:56 PM
    Good encompasses much more than simple Activesync. As well, for a secure solution, the ability to run Android apps doesn't suit the purpose when those apps are executed from a virtual machine inside another runtime/OS. While the OP only mentioned the email aspect, I'm relatively confident that his limitation on devices is probably because in order to have his company email on his device, the device will probably also have to conform to additional security measures provided by Good.

Via Tapatalk
    My company uses active sync so they should in theory not have to do anything. I will say they know I'm using bb10 and have not said a word about it and before we got anyconnect they were trying to get me vpn access so I'm good even though they post that BlackBerry isn't supported

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 07:00 PM
    My company uses active sync so they should in theory not have to do anything. I will say they know I'm using bb10 and have not said a word about it and before we got anyconnect they were trying to get me vpn access so I'm good even though they post that BlackBerry isn't supported

Posted via CB10
    Having Activesync and Anyconnect is a lot different than using Good Technology as an MDM solution.
    mkelley65 likes this.
    03-24-15 07:17 PM
    These threads are funny

Posted via CB10
    JosevuN3 likes this.
    03-24-15 09:43 PM
    So my company will be shutting down our BES in June. The only way to get email on a phone will be via the GOOD application which will only be supported on iPhone and android. That rules out keeping my blackberry or going to windows phone.
    The company will provide a $50/month credit if I go with AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon.
    I'm on call almost 24/7 and will gravely miss the custom notifications and easily changed sound profiles.

With all that information, what options should I investigate? I haven't had a non-blackberry phone literally this century...

Edit : I will have to pay for the phone , so price is a concern.
    Wait hold up.

The company I work for ... huge global enterprise actually ... doing quite the opposite.

I say you need to ask both the Director, CIO, and your manager of I.T. the following (CC the CIO).

* IS everyone having to upgrade to an Android or iOS device having to pay out of their own pocket ... can this cost be fully expensed?
    - If not then does this not determine the device ownership completely and solely mine along with all content NOT containerized under my privacy rules under employee/corporate stance? Is HR aware of these definitions, restrictions and limitations, along with any clarity of privacy in terms of Calls, SMS/MMS, personal email accounts and applications?

* Is there any clear and communicated restrictions of which applications CAN be used (both personally owned on a personally purchased device vs corporate paid bill)? Are there restrictions or guidelines or privisos which allow me to augment the bill for personal data consumption and billing and thus such open some restrictions to allow me to use personal apps that have data intense applications?
    - something that can ONLY and clearly facilitated by BlackBerry BES12!
    (someone can search for this link I'm going home soon)

* How many employees corporate wide (or regionally) will be affected by this?
    - again is there a maximum allowance each person can expense their paid phone to be re-imbursed since well the company is FORCING everyone to upgrade?! Is there a re-imbursement tiered based on role, title/position and why would say CEO allow ANY device all costs expensed based on his/her pay rate/bonuses vs myself when I'm probably more productive based hourly at a much less cost (ahem no assistant)... well .... you may want to edit this point heavily!!
    - but seriously how many devices will be affected.
    - is there a clear, scheduled plan to allow this?

How does I.T. propose for you to edit MS Office or Lotus Domino documents for corporate use while mobile?
    - restrictions to which apps will be facilitated in Good Enterprise?
    - what does your companies Good license include, both regional and global? Where is the licensed source because your I.T.'s support hours when everything goes wrong seriously can affect resolution time. Has certifcates been tested for all domains or OU's for those having to migrate?

Has I.T. fully tested this including a productive mobile user whom travels with the current and against prospective corporate cellular plans?
    - whats the heartbeat time and can this be adjusted (this adds data)
    - whats the mailbox size restriction if any (if your device is corrupted and at any point the need to re-activate without public/personal owned WiFi that bill with unlimited mailboxes is going to SKYROCKET - who is going to be in the cross-hairs then?! Because I'll bet they did NOT test this in full (as in a blind test to someone is heavily uses their device and travels internationally)
    ^ take note that even BB10 on BES10/12 compresses some data while iOS/Android does not.
    * are I.T. aware that although any apps on iOS when minimized continue to use data to a maximum 10 mins, that all Apple created apps, VPN apps, and VOIP apps continue to use data indefinitely when minimized vs closed - this includes maps (eats data HUGE).

These are just the beginning of thoughts or questions you can ask your company, although think VERY carefully to format them as a concerned employee for the entire companies expenses vs your personal preference.

BES12 still has cheaper rates than Good Enterprise - found the hard facts - and considering your company already uses BES why not upgrade - instead of retraining an I.T. admin to relearn mobile device support for a new system or pay heavily externally over the course of the year. Moreover BES12 supports those other platforms and by the looks of it Samsung is poised to heavily benefit from BB's latest news ... ask them about BlackBerry Enterprise Suite featured here on the main page just last week. Basically think how heavily you use your device and how that will change - in terms of productivity (as management hears $$ loss) - for you to adjust.

Hope either way it works out for you.

Cheers.
    03-24-15 10:06 PM
    So my company will be shutting down our BES in June. The only way to get email on a phone will be via the GOOD application which will only be supported on iPhone and android. That rules out keeping my blackberry or going to windows phone.
    The company will provide a $50/month credit if I go with AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon.
    I'm on call almost 24/7 and will gravely miss the custom notifications and easily changed sound profiles.

With all that information, what options should I investigate? I haven't had a non-blackberry phone literally this century...

Edit : I will have to pay for the phone , so price is a concern.
    A good priced Android would suit you just fine, as long as it costs less than an iPhone. With that you should have no problem even when changing employer.
    03-24-15 10:14 PM
    Galaxy S5

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 10:16 PM
    These are just the beginning of thoughts or questions you can ask your company, although think VERY carefully to format them as a concerned employee for the entire companies expenses vs your personal preference.

BES12 still has cheaper rates than Good Enterprise - found the hard facts - and considering your company already uses BES why not upgrade - instead of retraining an I.T. admin to relearn mobile device support for a new system or pay heavily externally over the course of the year. Moreover BES12 supports those other platforms and by the looks of it Samsung is poised to heavily benefit from BB's latest news ... ask them about BlackBerry Enterprise Suite featured here on the main page just last week. Basically think how heavily you use your device and how that will change - in terms of productivity (as management hears $$ loss) - for you to adjust.

Hope either way it works out for you.

Cheers.
    Wait, from one CEO to another. The company already decided to drop BES. We will not be reconsidering otherwise just because you use a different phone. We are sorried for your device. The company has moved on.
    JosevuN3 and sentimentGX4 like this.
    03-24-15 10:23 PM
    Wait, from one CEO to another. The company already decided to drop BES. We will not be reconsidering otherwise just because you use a different phone. We are sorried for your device. The company has moved on.
    And when the costs surmount and faces of end users smile and productivity drop ... you my good CEO maybe forced out by the board. Time will tell. There is plenty of CEO's awaiting.

PS: I'm no CEO not even close.
    03-24-15 10:41 PM
    Not necessarily. Many jobs require the employees to foot the cost of their own tools. And given that the OP stated that they're giving him a $50/mo credit, I'd sooner take that than have them foot the device cost and have to pay for my own service.

Via Tapatalk
    Maybe in other countries but in the UK, most employers supply work phones.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 12:55 AM
    OP, you'll need to do some research in to which carrier offers the best service in your area. You usually can't go wrong with Verizon. I don't know what your monthly data usage is like, but Verizon offers a single line plan for $60 a month, unlimited talk & text and 1gb of high speed data, or $75 for 2gb.

If you do go Verizon, I'd take a look at the Moto Droid Maxx. 3500mAh battery. Free with a 2-year contract, or $400 full price. It's not the cheapest, most powerful, or most feature rich... But it has long battery life, and on Verizon's network, it should be a solid dependable work phone.

If you go AT&T, the Moto X is a pretty slick device. It's $99 with a 2-year contract. AT&T's Mobile Share Value plan is similarly priced to Verizon. For unlimited talk & text and 1gb of shareable high speed data, they're charging $65... And if you bump up to $80, you get 3gb. Only drawback, is the Moto X battery. I believe it is only 2300mAh? and for that price ($99 on contract) you're getting real close to the price of a Droid Turbo on Verizon ($150 on 2-year contract) and the Turbo is awesome. 3900mAh battery with Turbo charging capability.

I don't know about your area, but here, Sprint sucks. I wouldn't even consider them.
    Last edited by jmr1015; 03-25-15 at 01:42 AM.
    03-25-15 01:22 AM
    Features I use frequently:
    Wireless hotspot, custom ringtones for emails from different contacts (I think Good screws me on that)
    Custom ringtones based on sender for txt messages
    Different sound profiles
    Long battery life
    My flatmate has the Sony Experia Z2 (it's a big one, not a compact) and it satisfies all of your list above (not sure if he had to download an app for some of the ringtone customisation), and it's very cheap in the UK!

On the plus side, it's also got very good sound, and is splashproof (he plays music on his, very loudly, whilst having a shower....) - on the negative side, he still finds it too large and heavy (I find it much more ungainly than my Passport)
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 03-25-15 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Z2 not Z3
    03-25-15 06:11 AM
    Maybe in other countries but in the UK, most employers supply work phones.

Posted via CB10
    Sure, but if you are employed on a 'contract' basis it is very common in the UK for the contract to stipulate that you must provide your own mobile phone (and for IR35 tax reasons, it is very sensible that you do supply your own mobile phone, because you can then [at least partially] demonstrate that you are supplying your own tools and are therefore not in disguised employment which will expensively knack you up with the taxman)
    Mric182 likes this.
    03-25-15 06:13 AM
    Still keep your BlackBerry for personal use, even upgrade to a new BlackBerry. But, no one can force you to stop using BlackBerry. If you work for a company that requires iPhone or Android, they'll need to supply it. It's a work tool, like a PC or Laptop, they don't ask you to bring your own.

I took my BlackBerry to work on my first day and they said I had to connect it to their enterprise server. I told them that I had a few BlackBerry phones and won't be giving you access to any of them. An hour later, I had a shiny new BlackBerry on desk.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, go with this, it's your device, they can't make you pay for something you don't want.

Curious, does the android version work on bb10?

 Z10
    03-25-15 08:52 AM
    And when the costs surmount and faces of end users smile and productivity drop ... you my good CEO maybe forced out by the board. Time will tell. There is plenty of CEO's awaiting.

PS: I'm no CEO not even close.
    Do you think blackberry products are the only thing that can gain productivity? LOL
    BB_Junky and MarsupilamiX like this.
    03-25-15 09:25 AM
    Any Android or Samsung device, with ATT. SIM Cards that you can move to and from any phone.

Have fun with the GOOD container solution.
    03-25-15 11:59 AM
    When I joined the company they said only iPhone 's could connect to the server, otherwise they would not give the connection's door. I simply put my login and password and, instantly, my BlackBerry Classic has connected to the server.
    Tell many lies ...
    03-25-15 01:23 PM
    Love the people counseling the OP to go to war with IT over a phone.

Put out both your hands OP. Now think XX-thousand-dollar-a-year job in one hand, smartphone in the other. Which is heavier?
    03-25-15 01:32 PM
    Do you think blackberry products are the only thing that can gain productivity? LOL
    No I don't nor Did I paraphrase that sentiment. I stated productivity will be affected. Change is good but I've posed experienced and sound questions hat need to thought of before disrupting users such a this a. Primary means of communication when mobile. I find it odd nobody can challenge this just my preference of productivity for BlackBerry.

So I ask you why the majority of fortune 500 companies still use BlackBerry, why government globally, why large as firms etc when BES can be used to secure competitive devices, hmm.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 01:43 PM
73 123