So my company will be shutting down our BES in June. The only way to get email on a phone will be via the GOOD application which will only be supported on iPhone and android. That rules out keeping my blackberry or going to windows phone.
    The company will provide a $50/month credit if I go with AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon.
    I'm on call almost 24/7 and will gravely miss the custom notifications and easily changed sound profiles.

With all that information, what options should I investigate? I haven't had a non-blackberry phone literally this century...

Edit : I will have to pay for the phone , so price is a concern.
    03-24-15 01:15 PM
    I would look for new employment lol

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.2480
    03-24-15 01:17 PM
    Get an iPhone or Android. Adjust (easy) or look for new opportunity (probably much harder).
    Supa_Fly1 and TGR1 like this.
    03-24-15 01:23 PM
    Check out the Moto X or Droid Turbo. The "Active Display" feature on those phones is somewhat similar to BB10, except I think it only shows 3 different kinds of notifications on the screen at once.

http://www.motorola.com%252Fus%252FM...e-display.html

Posted via CB10
    Buy a used iphone 5 or a used higher end Android.
    What are your needs and preferences? What did you most and least like about BlackBerry?

Personally, given those options, I'd go Note 4. Or Note 3 to save a bit. I like big and I'd never own an iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 01:25 PM
    Has your company simply chosen not to support Windows phones? Good supports Windows devices too.

Via Tapatalk
    03-24-15 01:25 PM
    If price is a concern, maybe look into the iPhone 5C. The only issue with that low cost iPhone is the low storage capacity of 8gb. If you don't need much storage, that may be a good phone for you.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 01:32 PM
    So my company will be shutting down our BES in June. The only way to get email on a phone will be via the GOOD application which will only be supported on iPhone and android. That rules out keeping my blackberry or going to windows phone.
    The company will provide a $50/month credit if I go with AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon.
    I'm on call almost 24/7 and will gravely miss the custom notifications and easily changed sound profiles.

With all that information, what options should I investigate? I haven't had a non-blackberry phone literally this century...

Edit : I will have to pay for the phone , so price is a concern.
    Still keep your BlackBerry for personal use, even upgrade to a new BlackBerry. But, no one can force you to stop using BlackBerry. If you work for a company that requires iPhone or Android, they'll need to supply it. It's a work tool, like a PC or Laptop, they don't ask you to bring your own.

I took my BlackBerry to work on my first day and they said I had to connect it to their enterprise server. I told them that I had a few BlackBerry phones and won't be giving you access to any of them. An hour later, I had a shiny new BlackBerry on desk.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Craigash; 03-25-15 at 12:52 AM.
    playfoot, alan510 and stevobbm like this.
    03-24-15 01:35 PM
    Talk to your friends and coworkers who already have non-BB phones. Try to get some hands on time and ask lots of questions.

As for carrier, that you should absolutely look into yourself because local coverage varies wildly.
    03-24-15 01:36 PM
    Just get an iPhone and see which carrier around you has better signal.

The iPhone is a good phone. You'll have to adjust to the typing and hitting that home button all the time, but it's quality and you'll have more apps than you'll ever need. And you can have BBM. It's pretty on iOS8.
    03-24-15 01:37 PM
    Are you sure windows is not supported? from their website: https://www1.good.com/secure-mobilit...anagement.html

"Support All Your Mobile Devices
    Control and manage all your various devices from a single console. Good Mobile Device Management supports a wide array of mobile devices, operating systems and technologies including Apple iOS, Android, Windows Pro, Window Phone and Samsung KNOX."
    03-24-15 01:44 PM
    If you work for a company that requires iPhone or Android, they'll need to supply it. It's a work tool, like a LC or Laptop, they don't ask you to bring your own.
    Not necessarily. Many jobs require the employees to foot the cost of their own tools. And given that the OP stated that they're giving him a $50/mo credit, I'd sooner take that than have them foot the device cost and have to pay for my own service.

Via Tapatalk
    03-24-15 01:53 PM
    LG G2 is the best value device you can get, atm. It is constantly ~200 USD new, off contract on eBay and sometimes 200 USD in a major store. The device benchmarks roughly on par with Galaxy S5 and LG G3.

32GB LG G2 5.2" Quad-Core Android Unlocked Smartphone $190 + Free Shipping - Slickdeals.net

If you need something cheaper than the LG G2, the Moto G is a good option if you can find it for $100 USD or lower. The Moto G's popularity among deal hunters has dwindled, though, as processor is not good.

If you really love Blackberry, you can always use one as a second phone. =]
    miaminemo likes this.
    03-24-15 01:54 PM
    Features I use frequently:
    Wireless hotspot, custom ringtones for emails from different contacts (I think Good screws me on that)
    Custom ringtones based on sender for txt messages
    Different sound profiles
    Long battery life
    03-24-15 02:14 PM
    How about 1+ Phone? They're selling it for $299 online.
    03-24-15 02:22 PM
    Features I use frequently:
    Wireless hotspot, custom ringtones for emails from different contacts (I think Good screws me on that)
    Custom ringtones based on sender for txt messages
    Different sound profiles
    Long battery life
    You can get all of that from Android devices (though custom email alert tones relies on which email app you're using). Some I know you can get from iOS devices but my expertise with iOS is cursory so is limited enough that I couldn't speak for all features.

Via Tapatalk
    03-24-15 02:29 PM
    Doesn't the android app work on your BlackBerry phone? I've downloaded it but I haven't tried it with my work email. They finally got the issue resolved with 10.3.1 and BES 12.

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    03-24-15 02:30 PM
    You lost me BB10 phones do not need BES to operate and they run Android apps. So unless they are forcing you to move to another platform you lost me on this one. But good luck!
    Omahahaha and GreenCopperz like this.
    03-24-15 02:33 PM
    My company did the same thing. The funny part they say BlackBerry is not compatible but it's active sync so I put my company email on it without any problems

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 02:39 PM
    My company did the same thing. The funny part they say BlackBerry is not compatible but it's active sync so I put my company email on it without any problems

Posted via CB10
    I don't think the IT department wants the responsibility of learning/supporting a third OS few individuals use. Also, they may fear bugs in the Android runtime if the company is reliant on Android apps.

If IT said BB10 were compatible, you could go to them for problems and they would actually have to deal with them! If your device has any problems now, you're on your own.
    miaminemo likes this.
    03-24-15 02:54 PM
    You lost me BB10 phones do not need BES to operate and they run Android apps. So unless they are forcing you to move to another platform you lost me on this one. But good luck!
    Good encompasses much more than simple Activesync. As well, for a secure solution, the ability to run Android apps doesn't suit the purpose when those apps are executed from a virtual machine inside another runtime/OS. While the OP only mentioned the email aspect, I'm relatively confident that his limitation on devices is probably because in order to have his company email on his device, the device will probably also have to conform to additional security measures provided by Good.

Via Tapatalk
    Bishkin, mkelley65 and BB_Junky like this.
    03-24-15 02:56 PM
    Yes. Unfortunately BB will no longer be an option for me. The first time I miss an email about a server outage and I explain I have an unsupported device, I would have a undesirable conversation with my executives.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    03-24-15 03:34 PM
    I agree with the LG G2 suggestion, I didn't realize they could be had for $200 new.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 03:59 PM
    If price is your main consideration, you're likely better going the route of Android vs iOS for a new phone. The Google line of Nexus devices are worth considering, imho - plain vanilla Android with no bloatware (and less possibility of lag). You also have a wider range of customization options to bring you closer to a BlackBerry experience than iPhone I believe.

So much for the BYOD wave that everyone talks about, lol.
    03-24-15 04:06 PM
73 123