Now with the foldables being announced I would like to ask what happened with the claim 'android can't run on square screens'? Hence we won't see a passport on android...
    02-26-19 03:46 PM
    Now with the foldables being announced I would like to ask what happened with the claim 'android can't run on square screens'? Hence we won't see a passport on android...
    Then vs. Now. Things change, surely you can understand that considering Google only announced support for foldables in November of 2018. Still, your chances of seeing an Android Passport are still slim to none for several other reasons than just the square format.

- The ratio is still off.
    - It would require a reimagining of even the current foldable format.
    - BlackBerry Mobile would still have to license the name from BlackBerry, if they wanted to relive 'Passport'.
    - BlackBerry would still have to approve the use/design.
    - TCL/Alcatel/BlackBerry Mobile isn't sold on the format yet, plus some of their current designs using DragonHinge are arguably ugly.
    - Everyone will cry about the cost, just look at the current foldables costs.

The 'schematics' image below is rather telling. There's nothing there to indicate:

- A Passport like device (maybe top left but it's a stretch)
    - Nothing with a keyboard

And no BlackBerry user wants to live in this mess:

Foldables from Samsung and likes-screen-shot-2019-02-26-10.33.05-am.jpg

Foldables from Samsung and likes-tcl-dragonhinge-book-flat-dark-lock-screen.jpgFoldables from Samsung and likes-tcl-dragonhinge-phone-profile-redshirt.jpgFoldables from Samsung and likes-tcl-dragonhinge-concept-art-folding-blackboards.jpgFoldables from Samsung and likes-tcl-dragonhinge-topdown-reader-obtuse-angle.jpg

I could go on, but I think that's enough. Perhaps the biggest reason right now is, it's an unproven format. While being last is often a terrible place to be in the technology world, that typically only applies to things that prove to be successful and there's plenty of time for:

- The foldable format to prove itself.
    - For the products to get better before one could say a company 'missed out'.

All the foldables right now look flashy under the lights of MWC, but lets see those plastic bendy screens after they've been used for six months and beat around in everyday users pockets. I bet they don't look as flashy.
    02-26-19 03:54 PM
    It's still not square.

But if one day the square size gets pushed by the likes of Samsung and Huawei, it will happen.

But you STILL won't get a Passport 2.
    02-26-19 04:59 PM
    Besides what Bla1ze posted, what makes you think those foldables have square screens? Read up on the specs. The Samsung is not at all square - closer to 4x3 like the Royole FlexPai, and the Huawei Mate X is close, but not quite square.

In other words... no correlation between these folding tablets and the Passport.
    02-26-19 05:07 PM
    Meh, for me, if it doesn't have a keyboard, it ain't even worth looking at.
    02-26-19 05:16 PM
    Meh, for me, if it doesn't have a keyboard, it ain't even worth looking at.
    I agree. I don't get the appeal, personally. It's just a place for failure as grit and grime will surely accumulate at the folding point.
    02-26-19 05:34 PM
    Foldable devices are an attempt by companies to create buzz in an industry that's loosing it empirically as far as all touch phone sales go.
    02-26-19 06:20 PM
    Foldable devices are an attempt by companies to create buzz in an industry that's loosing it empirically as far as all touch phone sales go.
    Can slabs get any more boring?

At least the folding stuff is a genuinely new form factor (sort of).

All I need is a keyboard in the equation and I'm all ears
    02-26-19 09:19 PM
    Can slabs get any more boring?

At least the folding stuff is a genuinely new form factor (sort of).

All I need is a keyboard in the equation and I'm all ears
    In my opinion, I don't give a flying fig if slab or boring or not. Can I use it, is all I care about. Is what it shows me on the screen useful? Can I hold it? For some, does it have a keyboard? That's all that should matter.

I don't need a keyboard, so any ol' slab will do. I just wish the OEMs would get off the idiotic "max screen to body ratio/no bezel" fallacy. I have an S9, and I have to stick it in an Otterbox Defender just to protect the "fragile as a Pringles chip body" (already ruined an S8 which was in a case too - just not an Otterbox) and be able to hold it without activating something on the edge of the screen just putting it down. Basically I just added bezels back on the thing that it probably should have had in the first place.

My dream device is a Motion-like device with the memory of the S9, but the processor can be one of the 7 or even the recent 6 series Snapdragons. And carried by AT&T.
    02-26-19 10:56 PM