Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    From CNET today:

"It'd be tempting to think that TCL's first foray into foldable would be a BlackBerry phone. Unfortunately, that's just not likely. TCL Group does license the BlackBerry Mobile name, but the brand is slow-growing.

"We were probably a little bit bullish about objectives," said Francois Mahieu, the general manager for BlackBerry Mobile. Mahieu wouldn't share sales figures, but described his operation as "small".

The brand's keyboard-equipped BlackBerry Key2 and more midrange Key 2 LE are gaining the most traction as work phones that companies and governments buy for their employees.

Enterprise handsets like these are chosen because they're reliable and secure productivity machines that can get a job done. Flashy, expensive and untested new features like a foldable screen would be more of a liability than a must-have feature."

Interesting comment by TCL on sales. It is so amusing to me that news outlets in the USA in particular attribute Blackberry's sales to Enterprise . It is obvious to folks on CB that BlackBerry sales are mainly made to BlackBerry PKB phone enthusiasts .
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 01-09-19 at 12:38 AM.
    01-08-19 10:47 PM
    Not every BlackBerry user likes the PKB!!!!!
    nevilleadaniels and Jake2826 like this.
    01-09-19 01:39 AM
    A folding moby is a product of the future. Blackberrys sadly are aligned with the past. Cant understand why TCL and their key range are even considered as true blackberrys as they have no blackberry heritage at all' just bought the name to pin on a high end phone with a physical pad.
    01-09-19 10:47 AM
    Verizon bringing the KEY2 LE to their business sales group is an improvement that would seem to indicate some level of interest by corporations.

But expensive, flagship features is not what BBMo is about.
    01-09-19 11:18 AM
    A folding moby is a product of the future.

Yeah, I think that remains to be seen. Right now they look like garbage.

https://www.androidcentral.com/royol...foldable-phone

Samsung might have more luck though in the looks dept.

https://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-x
    01-09-19 01:43 PM
    As long as they go bezelless and use tiny gapped hinges with stop points ...we should start the nudging for a fold out along the long side PKB! (as well as a full feature VKB, when not unfolded)...its not like books didn't have their binding issue, and for years nintendos had dual screens that the gamers had no problem with. It's just maybe the Samsung/google and Apple fan boys don't want someone to make it work first...that's why they're all claiming the screen has to bend....no it doesn't....the phone has to be foldable to make it small and pocketable. This would attract business customers and possible gov't users too....Blackberry Mobile wake up and get in the Race.
    01-10-19 07:02 AM
    Going on the Bender (phone that is) can wait till later. But that all hinges on hinges first. Now how many could they sell? Would a 100k devices be okay for the first year?? (bonus feature....an embedded sandboxed bb10/playbook OS???? Wow that would be awesome.)
    01-10-19 07:05 AM
    I mean like ....who would ever buy a pc that was attached to the screen that folded into the keyboard..(laptop).like that's just somekind of crazy out there id (hypothetically said some Apple MacIntosh executive).....and who would ever buy a touchscreen laptop with a pen? (Thinkpad yoga 2 in 1 etc) that you could use like a giant tablet? Crazy ideas...you'll bankrupt the firm.
    01-10-19 07:10 AM
    Honestly they look awful atm imho.. don't see the need for it in the phone area. LG for example has presented a foldable TV. I can understand that since you can hide your TV from plain sight if you don't like big tech things things in your field of view all the time. (Personally love to display it all)
    01-10-19 07:37 AM
    I've seen some examples of foldable phones that look interesting and useful... this isn't one of those.

But as Mahieu said... the BlackBerry brand isn't where they would showcase costly cutting edge stuff.
    01-10-19 11:07 AM
    Of course the cheeky answer to the OP, is that BlackBerry was way ahead of the curve on this...after all they folded bb10, what way back in2018?
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 01-10-19 at 02:21 PM.
    01-10-19 12:19 PM
    Okay back to the flip phone z20/20 blackberry style....not this (the Cosmo Communicator) Because the keyboard takes up all the space where the 2nd screen should be. And the keyboard is way too big. A passport sized keyboard would do.

Now what to do with the extra space on either side? of the fold out BB keyboard (maybe switch style joysticks? lol, maybe a full separate numeric keypad on the capacitive touch keyboard....maybe.....okay okay the keyboard while centred won't actually be as long as the display on the long sides????).

Though somebody should tell the video reviewers a PDA style usable device with a PKB already exists in its nth generation, that being the Key2 etc is already out of the startup gate (and much less than the $800(digital trends /out of indiegogo)cost of the Cosmo. With Blackberry's keyboard design history of what 20years or more.

Hey Blackberry are you listening?...its also multi-boot (bb10 anyone?)
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cosmo-communicator#/

(PS Wasn't Kramer on Seinfield called Cosmo or something, yes that's it, it was his first name?)

2:35mark for specs...

Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 01-10-19 at 02:48 PM.
    01-10-19 02:25 PM
    Honestly they look awful atm imho.. don't see the need for it in the phone area. LG for example has presented a foldable TV. I can understand that since you can hide your TV from plain sight if you don't like big tech things things in your field of view all the time. (Personally love to display it all)
    Yeah I see them in the future so you can jettison carry two devices a phone and an ipad or samsung tablet for those older execs and others whose eyes would strain working soley on a 5 to 8 inch screen all day every day.

The foldable TV would totally work for a neighbour of mine who has blocked their entire window with a monster (not just for the all-glass house owners), because it was the best place to fix the furniture in that direction in their living room, instead of wall mounting it against one of the other walls (once it comes down to the affordable level that is).
    01-10-19 03:02 PM
    Cant understand why TCL and their key range are even considered as true blackberrys as they have no blackberry heritage at all' just bought the name to pin on a high end phone with a physical pad.
    BlackBerry-patented physical keyboard phone running a BlackBerry-hardened OS and a suite of BlackBerry apps.

Not only is it a "true" BlackBerry, but the KEY² is probably one of the best ones ever made.
    01-11-19 04:58 PM
    BlackBerry-patented physical keyboard phone running a BlackBerry-hardened OS and a suite of BlackBerry apps.

Not only is it a "true" BlackBerry, but the KEY² is probably one of the best ones ever made.
    That and the Keyone was the last in house designed BlackBerry device.

https://business.financialpost.com/t...signed-handset
    01-11-19 07:34 PM
    What really is a BlackBerry?

A name?
    Hardware?
    Software?

My view is BlackBerry was a small company that had a poor track record of merging software and hardware - Storm, PlayBook, Z10. Think users are better off with both the software (Google) and hardware (now TCL) being taken care of by others. BlackBerry is doing what they do best... securing the software. Along with tweaking it to fit their PKB designs and productively usage profile.
    01-14-19 10:30 AM
    What really is a BlackBerry?

A name?
    Hardware?
    Software?

My view is BlackBerry was a small company that had a poor track record of merging software and hardware - Storm, PlayBook, Z10. Think users are better off with both the software (Google) and hardware (now TCL) being taken care of by others. BlackBerry is doing what they do best... securing the software. Along with tweaking it to fit their PKB designs and productively usage profile.
    Are you sure about the poor track record? Playbook was light years ahead of the typical android tablet garbage that was selling at the same time. I can't emphasize the garbage aspect of android too much in this comparison. Grant it the iPad was much sleeker than the Androids, but I still preferred the playbook. Same with BB10 compared to the basic android OS....android was garbage, awfull and frustrating. BB10 was smoothe and enjoyable.
    01-15-19 05:01 PM
    Are you sure about the poor track record? Playbook was light years ahead of the typical android tablet garbage that was selling at the same time. I can't emphasize the garbage aspect of android too much in this comparison. Grant it the iPad was much sleeker than the Androids, but I still preferred the playbook. Same with BB10 compared to the basic android OS....android was garbage, awfull and frustrating. BB10 was smoothe and enjoyable.
    YOU might have like the PlayBook... (i liked it enough to buy a second one - once they were super cheap)

But there is little doubt about it's reception by the "market". A tablet without email (at launch and for almost a year)? GPU was undersized thus using PDFs was impossible (main problem my company had at the time with their buy into the PlayBook) and even the browser would checkerboard with a lot of content. And it cost way too much for a 7" tablet - granted the price dropped once BlackBerry wrote it off.

Yes as a beta product it showed the potential of BB10 (and should have shown what would happen without offering what users want). And it had really great speakers. And my grand kids still use them as Disney Movie Video Players.

And I remember Android back then was not great on a Tablet... that's why Apple dominated the market. That doesn't change that the PlayBook was a failure as a tablet. Even if it had gotten the long (and often) promised BB10 update...
    01-16-19 08:51 AM
    Funny the initial reviews put it (Playbook) well within striking distance of the ipad...and some even thought it slightly better. Though they definitely were two quite different devices. Yes Blackberry actually made improvements to devices significantly after you bought them. Same can't be said for most of the Android tablets at the time....or even today I would say. Why it failed? Mechandising is a strange and nebulous swamp to navigate and never straightforward. You never know what incentives the other guys were giving out to the selling set. Shelf/demo exposure, sales incentives etc....all of which had little to do with the technical merits. But consumers being mostly ignorant of such things are easily swayed by a perceived trend whether hocus-pocus or substantive, and are often bewildered by the myriad of features presented and other features just not documented at all in marketing material. I don't know if the marketing types were equally bewildered with the products they were marketing, and just not knowing enough about the features or not. Sometimes it seems there is a reluctance to detail every feature, I guess for fear of tipping off competitors who were very good at just copying innovation or not.

As to email, yes but back then you either tethered a smartphone or you used a web-based interface for email initially. So it wasn't completely unusuable. I don't think it was till much later that webpages got hugely bloated causing the checkerboard pausing. Not even sure if it wasn't from an errant or missbehaving tracking marker embedded on the webpage itself causing those later hiccups. But the Android did roughly the same at that time.

Too bad they just didn't up that ram memory to 2gig or something initially, but not a lot were back then. Even Samsung's only came with 1gig at that time and that awful Android 3.1 at the time.
    01-16-19 09:49 AM