God-willing they're dead lol. Winds of change, fads, and all that jazz...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-10 03:34 AM
    I used to own at lease 2 flip phone.
    1 baby phat boost ( which was the nicest flip I've ever had )
    the other samsung flip almost looks like the smooth.
    I haven't seen any flip recently only my moms krazr & my brothers
    old razr2 which he traded for a slide out keyboard/

from what I noticed is the most popular are touchscreens/blackberries/LG & sliders.
    Flp phones are played out & old.
    I've heard complains about the bb flip my friends said it was a sh*t phone because it broke easily.
    Which is why I didn't get the bb flip ( my mom wanted to get me that )

02-19-10 03:52 AM
    I've got an 8220 and I love it. Fits my hand perfectly and I can use it 1-handed when texting or e-mailing. I'm going to stay with it until RIM comes up with a replacement (the 9100 Stryker isn't it)
    02-19-10 08:30 AM
    I hate the flip phone and have not seen very many of them lately. I wonder if they will stop being made, once the smart phone completes the takeover of course.
    dude i really hope not. i like flip phones, so much so that a couple weeks ago i bought a used RAZR just to use when i dont feel like taking the berry somewhere (like work, or a party or somewhere i dont want to waste 500 dollars)

...that and you cant **** dial anyone on a flip phone, which i frequently do on my blackberry
    02-19-10 09:01 AM
    I've grown out of non-smart flip phones, but I don't judge anyone who still uses them. Heck my baby bro still uses his 1st gen razr! He's had that thing for 5 years!! I keep on nudging him toward a smartphone, so we'll see.

I've wanted to get a pearl flip for myself, actually, just to use as a secondary phone. I just like the way they look.
    02-19-10 10:04 AM
    Yes, it's dead, and along with it goes the great expression "to slap the phone shut". I'm gonna miss it.

02-19-10 10:59 AM
    Some people will always find a need for a flip phone, some people simply don't need a smartphone. But my mom just got a Pearl Flip 8220. So RIM does understand there is a market for them.

02-19-10 11:27 AM
    I think so...I use to love flip phones but now I can go on without my touch screen..."BIG SCREENS POPIN"
    02-19-10 11:41 AM
    Contractors and construction workers....these guys will always use them. You can slide em in your pocket on the job and not have to worry about accidentally calling someone. Face it, flip phones will live on....
    02-19-10 01:13 PM
    Its dead, sure they are still around but not not in any new tech or design. They have just stopped improving them. The last real breakthrough was the RAZR but where is it now?
    02-19-10 03:45 PM
    Before my first smartphone, I prefer flip phones. Flip phones will never die because of there ideal design with the speaker and mic sits perfectly on your face. And the perfect way to hang up the phone is just to close it. Flip phones will always live on because of their ingenious design and no accidental dialing.
    If only the blackberry flip wasn't so underpowered I would be rocking one instead of a 8900.

02-20-10 02:06 AM
    Flip phones were great, but I text an email toouch on the go now so a flip phone would not be feasible. But for someone who doesn't message a lot a flip phone woukd be perfect.

02-20-10 04:31 AM
    The flip phone looks really ancient now. It looks kinda poxy.
    02-20-10 06:25 AM
    Flip phones are so not dead. People in Japan use them all the time, and many folks just don't want smart phones, which I can't understand.
    02-20-10 10:55 AM
    They will live on because some of the rugged phones are Nextel/Sprint flip phones. There is nothing rugged about a BB, no matter what case you slap on it...
    When I used to work out in the field forget about it.. My flip was invincible.. Survived hundreds of drops and bumps.. No Berry could survive such torture lol...
    02-20-10 11:08 AM
    I loved my razr and if I didn't have my BlackBerry I would go back to it. Or a razr two

02-20-10 01:13 PM
    many folks just don't want smart phones, which I can't understand.
    Most people don't require the extra luxuries a smartphone / app phone can deliver. For many a mobile phone is only for calls and (occasional) texting. Then there are financial reasons; why pay more for a phone loaded full with features and options you simply won't be using?
    02-20-10 01:21 PM
    If they could make a BlackBerry flip with the form of a razr wifi 3g sure type with a trackball can't stand the track pad and the power of a tour, I would go for that.

02-20-10 01:24 PM
    I've got an 8220 and I love it. Fits my hand perfectly and I can use it 1-handed when texting or e-mailing. I'm going to stay with it until RIM comes up with a replacement (the 9100 Stryker isn't it)
    Good luck with that one.
    02-20-10 01:38 PM
    I dislike flip phones... and there is nothing more gross than Blackberry Pearl flip. I hate that thing.
    02-26-10 06:58 AM
    hp had an iPaq that had a little cover over the screen, leaving the keyboard free. More recently, Motorola had a beautiful device, can't remember what it was, that had a clear lid covering the screen.
    I would not mind it one bit if RIM introduced something like that, that would keep the screen visible yet protected, and was still part of the phone so you didn't have to buy shields to protect the screen.
    Maybe nobody else would want that, but I would appreciate it.

As far as the flips being dead - not at all. Not everyone wants or needs a smartphone. And in some types of work, as someone noted, it will probalby always be needed.
    02-26-10 08:50 AM
    I haven't had a flip phone in probably 5 years, ny dad used the razor until recently joining team CB with his tour
    02-26-10 10:20 AM
    hp had an iPaq that had a little cover over the screen, leaving the keyboard free. More recently, Motorola had a beautiful device, can't remember what it was, that had a clear lid covering the screen.
    I would not mind it one bit if RIM introduced something like that, that would keep the screen visible yet protected, and was still part of the phone so you didn't have to buy shields to protect the screen.
    Maybe nobody else would want that, but I would appreciate it.

As far as the flips being dead - not at all. Not everyone wants or needs a smartphone. And in some types of work, as someone noted, it will probalby always be needed.
    Oooooo the Moto Krave. That was a gorgeous phone - the clear part was also touch sensitive. There is a new version called the Crush but they stupidly lost the flip cover.

Motorola Crush Specs & Features (Phone Scoop)

Still pretty though.
    02-26-10 01:54 PM
    Its a trend thing, for a while all you could find were flip phones, now the carriers and makers are going all bar style. Or sliders. Watch give it ten more years or so and history will repeat it self. I do know that the pearl flip is no more.
    02-26-10 02:39 PM
    I doubt they can die out fully, there are always those people that like simplicity in its most basic form.
    02-26-10 06:11 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD