Ok so I was in the park the other day and this guy is using a torch and he's running it on Boost mobile .... He said something about "Flashing" so I had to ask and he said he got it on line but wouldn't say where or how much, n e who long story short how can I "flash" a bb and take it 2 another company and what r the draw back n well would it still have all the functions

Looking for answers... HELP!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-11 09:06 PM
    Usually I like to wear a trenchcoat and head down to the local park after dark....

But seriously, he was lying to you. The Torch cannot be run on Boost, it lacks the physical hardware to do so.
    tbrenn likes this.
    04-25-11 09:37 PM
    Torch cant do that. It's physically Impossible.
    04-25-11 09:38 PM
    As already mentioned, the Torch does not work on Boost. Boost runs off of Sprint's network which I believe is CDMA, where as AT&T's network (and other Carriers that carry the Torch) run off GSM/GPRS.

However, what you can do is UNLOCK the Torch to run on other Carriers that run on the same kind of network. For example, if you buy the BlackBerry Torch at AT&T, but you have service thru Rogers, you can UNLOCK (see this post --> click here for more info on unlocking) your BlackBerry so that it may be used on ANY Carrier that uses the same type of Network. There is it's benefits for sure. About a year ago, I bought a Verizon BB Storm 9530 off a friend, UNLOCKED it and used it on AT&T's network...but that's another story.

Anyway, back to the point, I've yet to hear about any BlackBerry Smartphones getting flash successfully. The BlackBerry PlayBook on the other hand, I just heard that someone has possibly ran Google's Gingerbread OS on one already, or is at least attempting too anyway...and possibly Honeycomb is next?

04-25-11 10:13 PM

Anyway, back to the point, I've yet to hear about any BlackBerry Smartphones getting flash successfully.

every model up to the Bold 9000 (just prior to the 8900's release) was able to be reflashed with leaked software from RIM's engineering department. you just needed the proper VSM file and then proceeded to upload it to the phone via this program. ive personally reflashed a Bold 9000 and a few 83xx's into engineering units this way. (NO i will not give anyone the software nor explain its use so please, DO NOT PM me asking. )

however, unbranding and reflashing isnt really talked about on here since the software used to do so was "stolen" or considered warez by the admin. those of us around back in the day were able to get this software and learn how to use it prior to its "banning" from this site.

as stated, no phones since the release of the 8900 work with this software, as its becoming outdated and no updated release has been "leaked" or "stolen".

and everyone else has said, a Torch cannot be used on Boost. unless of course he is using it in Australia or New Zealand, which also have Boost Mobile as a virtual network provider over Optus and Telecom New Zealand. Optus is a GSM service and apparently TelecomNZ was CDMA but phasing it out in favor of GSM by next year. in this case, he would just need to unlock the Torch and drop his SIM card in to get service.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 04-26-11 at 08:16 AM.
    04-26-11 08:08 AM
    I in very much doubt that he did that but was lieing and is not possible to do so, the name 'torch' is the name, not the physical thing it can do
    04-26-11 12:28 PM
    every model up to the Bold 9000 (just prior to the 8900's release) was able to be reflashed with leaked software from RIM's engineering department. you just needed the proper VSM file and then proceeded to upload it to the phone via this program. ive personally reflashed a Bold 9000 and a few 83xx's into engineering units this way. (NO i will not give anyone the software nor explain its use so please, DO NOT PM me asking. )

however, unbranding and reflashing isnt really talked about on here since the software used to do so was "stolen" or considered warez by the admin. those of us around back in the day were able to get this software and learn how to use it prior to its "banning" from this site.

as stated, no phones since the release of the 8900 work with this software, as its becoming outdated and no updated release has been "leaked" or "stolen".

and everyone else has said, a Torch cannot be used on Boost. unless of course he is using it in Australia or New Zealand, which also have Boost Mobile as a virtual network provider over Optus and Telecom New Zealand. Optus is a GSM service and apparently TelecomNZ was CDMA but phasing it out in favor of GSM by next year. in this case, he would just need to unlock the Torch and drop his SIM card in to get service.

Impressive!
    04-26-11 01:20 PM
    Reflashing can be very bad and can damage your phone.
    04-26-11 01:21 PM
    Ok I get it dude was just being an *** .... But I guess it did open my eyes to other possibilities... But ... Now that all was said ... What is "honeycomb"

04-26-11 01:28 PM
    You asked for help so I give it, no need to get stressed but...

A honeycomb is a mass of hexagonal wax cells built by honey bees in their nests to contain their larvae and stores of honey and pollen.
    04-26-11 01:36 PM
    Nice ... Well now that I know "that" hopw about when its referred 2 something like the play book or a tabled... N I wanst trying 2 b a smart *** I guess I said wrong ... and the help is gladly appreciated ...

04-26-11 05:43 PM
    1)Honeycomb is the code name for Android OS 3.0.
    2)Flashing any device is a buyer beware action. Essentially a flashed or Boostberry is a Blackberry that has had its OS wiped and reloaded with Boosts info. Essentially your Blackberry will be rendered useless other than voice and texting. You will loose all Blackberry functions (no BIS, BES, BNM, or e-mail).
    04-26-11 06:27 PM
    Usually I like to wear a trenchcoat and head down to the local park after dark....
    So THAT was you last night! Geeesh! I've been trying to get rid of the flasher for months now!

In all honesty, the flasher would probably end up being me.
    04-26-11 06:32 PM

But seriously, he was lying to you. The Torch cannot be run on Boost, it lacks the physical hardware to do so.
    You asked for help so I give it, no need to get stressed but...

A honeycomb is a mass of hexagonal wax cells built by honey bees in their nests to contain their larvae and stores of honey and pollen.
    Outstanding... Beat me to the Punch
    04-26-11 08:28 PM
    Soooo basically if I get my hands on a flashed phone it won't give me the full features .... So I guess its just better if I just upgrade rather then get a flashed phone

04-26-11 08:44 PM
    Soooo basically if I get my hands on a flashed phone it won't give me the full features .... So I guess its just better if I just upgrade rather then get a flashed phone

a reflashed phone wont offer you any benefits over a normal phone with an original vendor ID and VSM unless its been flashed into an engineering unit (vendor id 0 or 1). this will permanently unlock the engineering screen and have "engineering unit" startup logos instead of carrier ones. thats it. at least on GSM phones, you will still have full functionality of the phone.

but AS STATED, only Bold 9000 and previous phones like the 8330, 8320, 8310 etc can be unbranded and reflashed. none of the recent devices can be reflashed (with publicly available software).

in your case, theres no point in getting a "flashed" phone.
    04-27-11 02:13 AM
    ohhh ok ... I was looking for a cheaper alternative .. But if not gonna get all the functions there's no point .... All ways good 2 now I can get my answer here

04-27-11 10:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD