Ok so since Adobe Flash will be coming to Blackberry sometime this summer, i'm curious if it will make a huge impact on the battery life since it used a lot of processor speed. If so will blackberry have to make new and more powerful batterys for their upcoming phones?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-10 10:51 AM
    Until it has been released, it is pointless to speculate on how much impact it will have, everything that uses power has an impact.
    04-30-10 11:10 AM
    Until it has been released, it is pointless to speculate on how much impact it will have, everything that uses power has an impact.
    Spoil sport, I was hoping for another thread of pointless speculation that devolves into a flame war between BB's and iPhones.

Guess I'll just have to start my own thread.
    04-30-10 11:30 AM
    One thing to remember about Flash is that it will use Software decoding of video so that would point to more battery usage. When you watch videos on your BB that are H.xxx (never remember which one) encoded it will use hardware decoding which is much faster and uses less power. As for the application portion of Flash (clicking on buttons, etc)...neither here nor there on power use.

04-30-10 01:07 PM
    All I can way is that ill laugh if mobile flash bombs due to it running slow and killing batteries.

04-30-10 01:38 PM
    There were two interesting articles I read this morning on PCWorld. Not quite "Flash on BB" but still an interesting bit of info in general.

Bite This, Apple: 5 Reasons Flash Would've Rocked the iPhone - PCWorld

Adobe CEO Responds to Jobs' Flash Attack - PCWorld
    04-30-10 01:59 PM
    I would be happy with HTML5 and no flash. I really don't see the point of having a dedicated player.
    04-30-10 02:48 PM
    One thing to remember about Flash is that it will use Software decoding of video so that would point to more battery usage. When you watch videos on your BB that are H.xxx (never remember which one) encoded it will use hardware decoding which is much faster and uses less power. As for the application portion of Flash (clicking on buttons, etc)...neither here nor there on power use.
    Don't be so quick to rehash something Mr Jobs said, the Apple PR machine is in full effect and can easily mislead you. His implication of software decoding for flash video refers to the iPhone. Some models of BlackBerry DO support hardware decoding of flash video. What what what? The model 9700 for example, I was aware of it because I have a 9700 and had some discussions with people about it when I first got it.

Now this part is just my theory, but I would suspect other models have this capability or at least the chipset required to do it. And in that case all it would require is a software update to support it, OS 6.0 anyone?

04-30-10 03:42 PM
    I would be happy with HTML5 and no flash. I really don't see the point of having a dedicated player.
    There isn't a dedicated player its the video players that are used on the websites for example google's video player. Its not only videos, its also other content that use flash that are embedded on their website. I can't wait for the release but i'm curious about the impact its ganna have on the battery life weather its ganna kill the battery life fast or not.

04-30-10 03:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD