Hello. my problem is that I lost / stolen the BB Passport phone. The phone had a broken range and did not read the sim cards. I also turned off the location service. I had the BB Protect service enabled. On the second day in the morning when I realized that I did not have a telephone, I immediately went to the BB Protect website and logged in. After logging in, it showed me my phone and a few options including: locating the phone, display the message on the screen, let the phone ring up, lock the phone, clear the phone and the most important option for me: mark as stolen. As I mentioned earlier, my Passport had a localization service turned off, so I could not check its location. I've done all the options: display the message, clean the phone and lock the phone. With each option, the following message popped up: you can not connect to the phone, if the phone logs into the wireless network it will be automatically blocked and cleared. OKAY. The next step was to mark the phone as stolen. I do not care to get my phone back. I wanted my data to be safe. I have ticked the option: MARK TELEPHONE AS STOLEN. And now the most important issue. If the phone is not connected to the network due to the antenna in the phone not working and if the phone is switched off, does the option: mark as stolen work? After logging out of the computer and logging in again at BB Protect, all options have disappeared and a small phone icon with a red display and an exclamation appeared. Does this mean that my data on the phone has been cleared and are safe? I will also add that I did not have any screen lock. Just move your finger and unlock the phone. Please help: I ​​care the most about what the phone icon means with a red exclamation mark after turning on the option mark as stolen and whether the phone must be switched on and logged on to the GSM / WIFI network to mark the option as stolen worked. Greetings!

Sorry for errors - I am using google translate
    07-08-19 04:48 AM
    Hello. my problem is that I lost / stolen the BB Passport phone. The phone had a broken range and did not read the sim cards. I also turned off the location service. I had the BB Protect service enabled. On the second day in the morning when I realized that I did not have a telephone, I immediately went to the BB Protect website and logged in. After logging in, it showed me my phone and a few options including: locating the phone, display the message on the screen, let the phone ring up, lock the phone, clear the phone and the most important option for me: mark as stolen. As I mentioned earlier, my Passport had a localization service turned off, so I could not check its location. I've done all the options: display the message, clean the phone and lock the phone. With each option, the following message popped up: you can not connect to the phone, if the phone logs into the wireless network it will be automatically blocked and cleared. OKAY. The next step was to mark the phone as stolen. I do not care to get my phone back. I wanted my data to be safe. I have ticked the option: MARK TELEPHONE AS STOLEN. And now the most important issue. If the phone is not connected to the network due to the antenna in the phone not working and if the phone is switched off, does the option: mark as stolen work? After logging out of the computer and logging in again at BB Protect, all options have disappeared and a small phone icon with a red display and an exclamation appeared. Does this mean that my data on the phone has been cleared and are safe? I will also add that I did not have any screen lock. Just move your finger and unlock the phone. Please help: I ​​care the most about what the phone icon means with a red exclamation mark after turning on the option mark as stolen and whether the phone must be switched on and logged on to the GSM / WIFI network to mark the option as stolen worked. Greetings!

Without a data connection, your Passport will not respond to instructions from BlackBerry Protect.

As long as you used a device password, your data should be safe anyway.
    07-08-19 05:16 AM

Hey Mati,

Do not be concerned--one of the main functions of Blackberry Protect is to ensure that no one can access data on a stolen phone or indeed re-use it at all. Even though you just have a finger pattern lock (not a device password) no one will be able to break into your phone and should they try to format it and re-use it they will find that they cannot set it up without your Blackberry ID.

It sucks that your phone was stolen, but rest easy knowing your data is safe!
    07-08-19 05:31 AM
    thx man. I still have a question. if someone found my phone turned off or turned on what he sees on the screen? I did not have a sim card in it because the range in the antenna does not work. probably wi fi is also turned off. What will happen on the phone screen? will it be able to unlock it normally and open up messenger or whatsapp? will he be able to enter private photos and documents?
    I did not have any code and password - drag with your finger to unlock
    TrumpetTiger likes this.
    07-08-19 06:41 AM
    Hey Mati,

Do not be concerned--one of the main functions of Blackberry Protect is to ensure that no one can access data on a stolen phone or indeed re-use it at all. Even though you just have a finger pattern lock (not a device password) no one will be able to break into your phone and should they try to format it and re-use it they will find that they cannot set it up without your Blackberry ID.

It sucks that your phone was stolen, but rest easy knowing your data is safe!
    I'm not sure he said there was a pattern or picture lock.....

OP BlackBerry Protect has to connect to the phone (I guess WiFi is the SIM wasn't working), if whoever "has" it... doesn't connect it to a network, there is nothing BlackBerry Protect can do. If you didn't have any security setup on the phone... then your data is accessible.
    07-08-19 07:54 AM
    thx man. I still have a question. if someone found my phone turned off or turned on what he sees on the screen? I did not have a sim card in it because the range in the antenna does not work. probably wi fi is also turned off. What will happen on the phone screen? will it be able to unlock it normally and open up messenger or whatsapp? will he be able to enter private photos and documents?
    Well then, with no password, someone can see anything on your device they wish. BUT, the moment they try to connect to Wi-Fi, the phone will become inaccessible.
    07-08-19 08:08 AM
    Hey Mati,

As a point of clarification, did you have to drag your finger in a particular pattern to unlock the phone? Or was it just a case of dragging it straight up and the phone unlocks? Just trying to make sure I understand this point, as the accuracy of my previous statement depends on it.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-19 08:25 AM
    So it comes out, that protect will work only when it connects with wi fi? If I do not catch the wi fi connection, then someone will be able to continue to browse my entire phone?

and what does the phone icon with the red display mean after selecting the option mark as stolen on the blackberry protect website?
    07-08-19 08:31 AM
    Hey Mati,

As a point of clarification, did you have to drag your finger in a particular pattern to unlock the phone? Or was it just a case of dragging it straight up and the phone unlocks? Just trying to make sure I understand this point, as the accuracy of my previous statement depends on it.

Posted via CB10
    yes ,I just drag it up and unlocks the phone
    07-08-19 08:34 AM
    So it comes out, that protect will work only when it connects with wi fi? If I do not catch the wi fi connection, then someone will be able to continue to browse my entire phone?

and what does the phone icon with the red display mean after selecting the option mark as stolen on the blackberry protect website?
    Not sure anymore as the help section doesn't work.... My guess is it's a warning that it can't connect to the phone to issue the commands. Same is true for most all theft protection systems (Android or iOS), they need the device to "communicate" with the server to receive the commands.

You didn't secure the device, so yes they could browse your entire phone.

You aren't alone in opting to not use a password on BB10. We had a poll here once and it was like 30% - 40%, one reason I always argued for the fingerprint option on new hardware (never came to BB10). I know it isn't 100% secure, but it's better than 0%.
    07-08-19 09:08 AM

Correct. Your device is open season until they connect to a Wi-Fi source.

Red icon means your phone has no data connection.
    07-08-19 09:13 AM
    Now, you'd better pray that the thief has no interest in your data and would only format the phone to use or sell it.
    07-08-19 09:24 AM
    You could buy a vault door, but if you don't actually CLOSE THE DOOR, it can't protect anything. You have defeated the main security mechanism on the phone by not having it locked, so, yes, all of the data on that phone is completely accessible to whoever has it.

Security is inconvenient - often very inconvenient - but if you choose convenience over security, you have no one to blame but yourself. I'm not trying to be mean, but rather to teach you an important lesson about life, so that you don't make that same mistake again.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-08-19 01:40 PM
    My apologies Mati; I thought earlier you had enabled some form of pattern lock that was unlocked by using your finger. Unfortunately your data is entirely open unless or until the thief connects to a wireless source. You always want to have a password of some kind on a device to avoid this type of scenario.

The good news is most thieves would either connect to wireless, if only to test functionality (which would immediately lock and wipe your device via Protect) or try to wipe and re-sell the device (which would wipe your data and prevent them from being able to sell it due to Protect's anti-theft functionality--they can't complete setup due to the need to have your Blackberry ID).
    07-09-19 11:05 AM
    I would go ahead and login and change any passwords that might be stored on that device....

Email Accounts
    Social Media Accounts
    Browser Password - especially something like Chrome that could save EVERYTHING.
    Any sites stored in the Browser
    07-09-19 03:57 PM
    Why didn’t you have a password on your phone ? And location is not enabled either.. tough Luck but if you didn’t enable any security features there isn’t a way to do such without it being connected. As you already know you could remote lock and wipe your phone as soon as they connect. I would suggest also contacting your carrier to have the imei blocked as well.
    07-11-19 09:51 AM