It sounds as if it is the router. I have an Linksys N Router and have absolutely no issues.
    11-30-10 04:03 PM
    My Torch is working fine with a Belkin N Router
    11-30-10 06:17 PM
    Fails to work with my Netgear WNR2000 router but works perfect with the Netgear 'RangeMax' WPN824 v2 router. Even Orange (UK) UMA kicks in on unbranded Torch...According to other threads you have to manually change settings? but that's another story!
    11-30-10 06:19 PM
    Perhaps the title of this thread should be edited? it does indeed work with the majority of N routers, thread title is VERY misleading.
    11-30-10 06:22 PM
    Are Netgear and Berklin fully N compliant now? for a time they had a proprietary 'N' Solution waiting for the 'N' Standard to be finalized, from my understanding they finalized the standard but Netgear and Berklin kept their proprietary N because it worked best for them and was 99% compatible with the N standard
    11-30-10 06:45 PM
    Mine works on my D-Link DIR-655. N is enabled with WPA2. Absolutely no issues with it...

Oh and for anyone trying to go the extra mile and filter MAC addresses, and restrict the available range of DHCP addresses, don't bother. WPA or WPA2 with AES (not TKIP) and a proper 8+ character, mixed case password is all you need. Since MAC addresses can be easily spoofed, using this as a form of "security" for your home wireless is pointless.

Regardless though, the Torch most definitely IS wireless N compatible. Just because it doesn't work for you, does not mean it doesn't work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    anon(49433) likes this.
    11-30-10 07:54 PM
    Using a Linksys WRT320N here with WPA2 and absolutely no issues. As others have said, make sure you are using the 2.4 ghz band and not the 5 ghz.

11-30-10 08:02 PM
    Using a Dlink DIR-655 on WPA2 with no issues as well
    11-30-10 08:10 PM
    With all these posts, the thread title should be changed. Its not a matter of the Torch not being N compatible its a matter of the Torch not liking certain N routers
    11-30-10 08:12 PM
    After reading through this I did a little experiment. My SMC router/modem is B/G/N. I had it set that way. Laptops, Blackberry's and everything else worked fine. Read this thread, set it to N only. Netbook dropped (expected that, B/G only), but so did both Torches. Set to N only mine and my wifes Torches will not connect. Set it to B/G/N and its all good. No option to select 2.4 or 5ghz.

Bit of a PITA but if it works on B/G and everything else works on N oh well. I'll live.
    11-30-10 09:59 PM
    Torch uses finalized wireless N, where as most wireless N routers are draft wireless-N (lets say, a public beta test sort of thing, but with hardware)
    11-30-10 11:33 PM
    With all these posts, the thread title should be changed. Its not a matter of the Torch not being N compatible its a matter of the Torch not liking certain N routers
    So what's the difference? You mean I hafta go out and buy a Blackberry compatible N router? Maybe RIM should advertise that when they sell you the phone?
    12-01-10 10:05 AM
    So what's the difference? You mean I hafta go out and buy a Blackberry compatible N router? Maybe RIM should advertise that when they sell you the phone?

You need to check what revision of N your router was built on, in EARLY N days, if you had a D-Link N router you needed D-link N wireless cards
    each manufacturer built their own beta standard,

Has netgear made their Routers FINAL N compliant yet?
    as far as I know Netgear and Berklin are the 2 manufacturers who are still running PreN standards.
    12-01-10 10:09 AM
    Excuse me Mr. Brigadier but you are DEAD WRONG. Period.
    Among other N networks I normally connect to, the one I use at home is with a TP-LINK TL-WR941ND, set up as MODE : "11n only". My torch wi fi works like a charm.

Makes me sick when people state things without proper verification. The fact that some obscure support operator doesnt know what he's talking about, and tells you Torch doesnt do N at least must have created some doubt as to why a company like RIM would launch TORCH without N support. That is ridiculous.

Please inform yourself better before misleading other users not as intelligent as you
    12-01-10 07:28 PM
    Using a Linksys WRT320N here with WPA2 and absolutely no issues. As others have said, make sure you are using the 2.4 ghz band and not the 5 ghz.

This is just confusing to people. For example a Torch will not connect you to a 5ghz N connection but an iPad will (all be it at the slower speed) but they all call it wireless N. So much for standards Eh?
    12-01-10 07:42 PM
    Did people miss the fiasco where the n wireless routers were releasing without the standard being finalized or something?
    12-01-10 08:10 PM
    This is just confusing to people. For example a Torch will not connect you to a 5ghz N connection but an iPad will (all be it at the slower speed) but they all call it wireless N. So much for standards Eh?
    It is still wireless N. A second radio was added transmitting at a different frequency which is used concurrently with the 2.4Ghz band to double the amount of bandwidth available to clients connected to that access point.

The result is 300Mbps wireless data transfer. If memory serves, some of these dual band routers were still only draft-N compliant. The spec was finalized and the radio in the Torch is compliant with the finalized spec. It does not have a dual band radio (RIM can only cram so much into a Torch-sized package), but it most definitely is N compliant.

RIM is not forcing you to buy a new router if yours doesn't happen to work with your Torch. There is no feasible way for them to test every single router on the market and make sure it works with their product. By the time they did that, the phone would be obsolete.

12-01-10 08:24 PM
    I have a dlink N router and it runs just fine..
    12-01-10 09:34 PM
    My Torch and 9700 work fine with my Linksys E1000 (N) router

Didn't play with any settings.
    12-02-10 12:00 AM
    OK. My Torch wifi had issues at home. It was very, very, very slooooooooww. At work, it was fast. At Starbucks on AT&T Wifi it was fast. At the Dr's office waiting room it was very fast[open network]. But at home on my NetGear 802.11b/g/n WNR3500, uh uh. Talk about frustrating.
    I've been doing everything I could think of to fix it. Well, I finally found a fix. I just happened to hit the right Google search and came up with this[sorry, lost link]

1. Disable the router's 'N' speed. Switch it to b/g only[max 54Mbps].
    2. Manually choose channel 11.

BINGO!!!! Now it works fine!! And works very well.

Well, unfortunately, RIM is guilty of false advertising here as, at least with NetGear routers, the Torch is NOT 'N' compatible. WTF RIM????

So now my laptop Wifi at home suffers a speed penatly cuz of my Torch. Nice.
    you might want to go to the official Torch page at blackberry . com and see the specs for yourself. The Torch is N compatible. The link is below, look on the right side of the page under "Covered by wifi"
    BlackBerry - Torch 9800 Slider Phone - New BlackBerry Torch Touch Screen Phones
    12-02-10 12:00 AM
    OK. My Torch wifi had issues at home. It was very, very, very slooooooooww. At work, it was fast. At Starbucks on AT&T Wifi it was fast. At the Dr's office waiting room it was very fast[open network]. But at home on my NetGear 802.11b/g/n WNR3500, uh uh. Talk about frustrating.
    I've been doing everything I could think of to fix it. Well, I finally found a fix. I just happened to hit the right Google search and came up with this[sorry, lost link]

Well, unfortunately, RIM is guilty of false advertising here as, at least with NetGear routers, the Torch is NOT 'N' compatible. WTF RIM????

and somehow it is RIMS fault that Netgear isnt using the finalized N standard?

yah, i think you might want to rethink where the problem lies..
    12-02-10 12:08 AM
    Maybe the manufacturer of your router should advertise that it's a piece of garbage that isn't fully N compliant?

I have many complaints about my Torch. 802.11N compatibility is not one. It connects to both my D-Link DIR-625 and my Asus RT-N16 without issue using N. People here have pointed out to you that it's your router that's causing your problem. They've pointed out that you are running no security and why that is a bad idea. You instead choose to continue acting like you know better than everyone else.
    12-02-10 12:11 AM
    You instead choose to continue acting like you know better than everyone else.
    And if they continue doing this, rather than listen to what we are saying, I for one will be abandoning this thread.

12-02-10 12:33 AM
    With the numerous brands, makes, models, etc, etc of routers out there, there's no way to guarantee 100% compatibility between different brands of routers.

802.11n is a standard, perhaps your Netgear router is not up to standard. It's not RIM's fault or yours, it's just one of those things. I suggest some deep meditative breathing and then make a decision.

Change the router, change the phone or...change to a larger data plan to accommodate your usage.

12-02-10 05:35 PM
    I have the Cisco E3000 and N at 5mhz works just fine for me.
    12-02-10 05:57 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD