Thanks for all the responses. Maybe a new router is the way to go, and it will not be NetGear if they are not complying to the standard.

In the mean time, if my router doesn't automatically recognize updates, anyone know how to find updates manually?
    12-02-10 06:11 PM
    And if they continue doing this, rather than listen to what we are saying, I for one will be abandoning this thread.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Interesting. My $200 Blackberry will not talk to my router in "N" mode, but my $25 Belkin USB N Wifi Dongle will.........
    12-02-10 06:32 PM
    Maybe the manufacturer of your router should advertise that it's a piece of garbage that isn't fully N compliant?

I have many complaints about my Torch. 802.11N compatibility is not one. It connects to both my D-Link DIR-625 and my Asus RT-N16 without issue using N. People here have pointed out to you that it's your router that's causing your problem. They've pointed out that you are running no security and why that is a bad idea. You instead choose to continue acting like you know better than everyone else.
    See above post about $25 USB dongle vs $200 BlackBerry
    12-02-10 06:33 PM
    Price has nothing to do with it...

Can you find a dongle that won't talk to it? Probably...
    12-02-10 06:41 PM
    In the mean time, if my router doesn't automatically recognize updates, anyone know how to find updates manually?
    Check post #14 of this thread. He pointed right to it for you
    Brigadier likes this.
    12-02-10 07:09 PM
    Check post #14 of this thread. He pointed right to it for you
    Thanks. I read right past that.
    12-02-10 08:55 PM
    See above post about $25 USB dongle vs $200 BlackBerry
    More than likely, your $25 USB dongle is using the same kind of chipset that the router is. More than likely, the Blackberry is not.

This is NOT a RIM issue. This issue is caused by all of the network gear manufacturers making non-standard N equipment for YEARS before 802.11N became a ratified standard.

There are only a few companies that actually make the N chipsets. If your $25 USB dongle has a chipset from the same company and generation as the Netgear router, then they will be compatible.

edit: Just checked. The WNR3500 uses a Broadcom chipset and Belkin also uses Broadcom.

I'm assuming that the Torch has a Marvell network chipset in it since the processor is made by Marvell. The router probably has some incompatibility with the fully 802.11N compliant Blackberry.
    Last edited by TLS2000; 12-02-10 at 11:26 PM.
    12-02-10 11:14 PM
    Spent all evening upgrading router firmware and then finding an encryption mode that both my computer and phone will see. It is working now, but what a PITA!!!!

The encryption mode I am running is: WPA-PSK [TKIP] Is this OK?
    Last edited by Brigadier; 12-02-10 at 11:35 PM.
    12-02-10 11:32 PM
    yah, that is much more secure then nothing at all and more secure than WEP.
    12-03-10 01:24 AM
    Spent all evening upgrading router firmware and then finding an encryption mode that both my computer and phone will see. It is working now, but what a PITA!!!!

The encryption mode I am running is: WPA-PSK [TKIP] Is this OK?
    Glad to hear its all working for you. The torch in fact does support N standards. Like others have said many manufacturers have been making non standard N devices for a long time.

WPA-PSK is good protection, much better than WEP and insanely better than nothing at all. Noone should EVER keep it without some protection/encryption. Do it for testing and thats it, never keep it that way.

Thread should be renamed.
    12-03-10 12:13 PM
    Interesting thread... FYI: my Torch has no problems connecting to any wifi I have come across. My D-Link router DIR-655 works just fine and I checked - it has the latest firmware and is connecting with my Torch using "N" at 2.4 Ghz, and the datarate is 39 Mb/sec. Seems perfectly fine for me.
    12-03-10 01:38 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD