Just saw this on Blackberry Cool section of Viigo. Thought I would post to help others out. I know it helped Blackberry Maps finally lock on to my exact location! First time ever!

So you just got a brand new BlackBerry, you slap on Foursquare, let it detect your position, but notice that it�s taking forever. *You make your way through the options menu, select the �GPS� menu and start switching �location on� to �location off� back to �location on�, then from �enable� to �disable� back to �enable�. *At this point you might make your way back to Foursquare, realize that you�ve had enough patience to deal with the nonsense and run to your service provider claiming that your GPS isn�t working. *Hold the phone.

Turns out that there is a fix that may or may not (depending your carrier) �activate� your GPS.

*Make your way to the options menu. *Select �status� (where you find your PIN).
    Type test - You�ll notice �Device Self Test Application� appear.
    Press the trackball/trackpad or menu key and select �start�.
    Scroll down to GPS and check it.
    Scroll down and select �Run�.

It will ask you to head outside because the signal is stronger (I�ve done this test indoors, in case you are wondering). *
    Click on the trackball/trackpad and select �Start Fixing�.

Great news, at this point you should see �GPS fixing succeeds!�. *In some cases you might face a �time out� or a �failure� to fix and it�s usually because your GPS is locked, all thanks to your dearly beloved mobile carrier. *Once this process is over (which takes no more than 5 minutes), click down on your trackball/trackpad, select �skip all� and you are back to �Device Self Test Application�. *Hit the back button and make your way out of the options menu.

[Tip courtesy of PinStack]

(c) Giancarlo Casale for BlackBerry Cool, 2010

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-10 04:24 PM
    Cool tip, thanks for the 411.

03-26-10 04:45 PM
    I thought so too! Who would have guessed Vzw was the reason behind our GPS not working. Stop handicapping my BERRY!!!!
    03-26-10 04:51 PM
    Thanks for the post
    03-26-10 05:05 PM
    Thanks for the post
    Tell everyone you know. I feel a bit jipped, and I'm sure a ton more will feel the same way!
    03-26-10 05:16 PM
    I sure will. I'm the admin on our chat group. We only post things about phones software wallpapers themes and rigtones
    03-26-10 05:26 PM
    I can NOT believe the difference! I can actually find my EXACT location using BB Maps while sitting in my house. No more it finding me a few miles from where I really am.
    03-26-10 06:04 PM
    Does this help when using Google Maps as well?
    03-26-10 07:26 PM
    Seems to work! After doing the process it took about 12 seconds to get a fik in BB Maps and Google Maps.
    03-26-10 07:40 PM
    The GPS on my Tour has always worked from day one. Not disabled by Verizon at all.
    03-26-10 08:03 PM
    The GPS on my Tour has always worked from day one. Not disabled by Verizon at all.
    You are one of the lucky ones then mama.
    03-26-10 08:06 PM
    Does this help when using Google Maps as well?
    I deleted google maps off my Tour months ago. Was tired of getting bad directions! I thought it was google's fault. Guess it wasn't them after all.
    03-26-10 08:08 PM
    So... Your saying your Tour GPS is locked?
    03-26-10 08:19 PM
    So... Your saying your Tour GPS is locked?
    Nah, all the tours are supposed to be GPS free.

Most likely they just had outdated or missing almanack and ephemeris data, and never used the GPS for long enough to let it to refresh. A cold download can take tens of minutes depending on how many satellites are visible and the broadcast schedule, and if it gets interrupted it may need to be downloaded again from scratch. OS updates on the phone will also wipe the key data.

If there's reasonably recent data AND the receiver has not moved too far the fix should be within a few minutes with a clear view of the sky, within about 40 seconds if all the data is current and it just needs to lock enough satellites. If the view is obstructed it can take rather longer before enough satellites are visible at the same moment, and long distance movements without signal (long haul flights) might force another cold start.
    03-26-10 08:50 PM
    All I know is that when I have tried to get a fix on my 1st, and now my 2nd Tour I could never get my EXACT location. So, I read the article, followed the directions, and now I get a pin point location of where I am. Coincidence? I don't think so.

03-26-10 08:55 PM
    appreciate the tip!
    03-26-10 09:05 PM
    Good info thanks
    03-26-10 09:30 PM
    I get a time out FAILURE on my Verizon Tour. How do I fix that?
    03-26-10 09:37 PM
    I did too my 1st time. Go outside. That fixed it for me. Now I get locked in inside my house!

03-26-10 10:06 PM
    Nah, all the tours are supposed to be GPS free.

Most likely they just had outdated or missing almanack and ephemeris data, and never used the GPS for long enough to let it to refresh. A cold download can take tens of minutes depending on how many satellites are visible and the broadcast schedule, and if it gets interrupted it may need to be downloaded again from scratch. OS updates on the phone will also wipe the key data.

If there's reasonably recent data AND the receiver has not moved too far the fix should be within a few minutes with a clear view of the sky, within about 40 seconds if all the data is current and it just needs to lock enough satellites. If the view is obstructed it can take rather longer before enough satellites are visible at the same moment, and long distance movements without signal (long haul flights) might force another cold start.
    Yeah, the GPS was NEVER locked by Verizon on the 9630.
    03-27-10 06:44 AM
    Hi guys. It is the 1st time in my ******* life that I am owing a GPS gadget and I am really impressed that the blue pointer, points at my house in google maps. Of course there is a � 5 meters but never mind !!!

Hopefully it still works when I will take it out !!!

Thanks

Just click here and ....
    connect with me !!!
    03-27-10 09:47 AM
    Hey, Mama. I don't know who turned this into a Tour post. The OP clearly states "Fix GPS on your Blackberry". Not just your Tour. And, like I stated earlier, I've had 2 Tours, and after performing what the article stated, my GPS works. That's all. My experience.

03-27-10 11:09 AM
    Well, you have a Tour. You are on Verizon. And you made this inaccurate statement which is what I was clarifying. Verizon has never "handicapped" the GPS on the 9630.

I thought so too! Who would have guessed Vzw was the reason behind our GPS not working. Stop handicapping my BERRY!!!!
    03-27-10 11:56 AM
    So explain my sudden GPS turnaround please. For both Tours? Do you work for Vzw or something? Just my spidey-senses kicking in.

03-27-10 01:03 PM
    My Tour is maybe a couple months old and GPS works fine. And I have Verizon.
    03-27-10 02:32 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD