Just last week, I decided it was time to trade in my aging 97 grand-am with 280,000 some miles for something a lil newer and probably more reliable. So after a few car lost and self debating, I bought a 2008 Dodge Avenger with a lite 60,000 miles on it. It comes with a myGIG 430 radio, for those that don't know, it is a touch screen radio that has a hard drive, plays dvd movies, with sat radio and nav baked in. I heard that a backup cam could be added to it with out any major work, so I decided to research it. To mu surprise, it is powered by QNX, hardware wise, it isn't very powerful, but just to learn by accident that my car's stock radio is QNX powered, makes wonder if I could build a car-puter of my own, using more powerful hardware, how hard would it be to use the QNX os and to skin it to look similar to the stock system. Any thoughts from the masses?
    07-18-12 10:24 PM
    The oem car stereo stuff is so underpowered and there is no aftermarket support for it it wouldn't be easy to tap into. Hence the reason most people do a gut and remake system for what they want premade with an os from alpine or any select brand.

Adding the playbook to the system would be nice but a system that controls that much I feel would be a terrible waste to be replaced with a playbook.

My 07 focus has just a cd deck in it and that would go great with mt alpine deck but I'd never replace an in dash unit for a tablet.
    07-18-12 10:37 PM
    I guess I need to be more clear, I didn't mean mod the stock radio to do more, I meant build a car pc to use as my radio, and use QNX as the os, and find a way to skin the os to look like the factory set up, just with extra perks. I wonder now would it be better to build an arm system or a 64-bit X86 system
    07-18-12 11:55 PM
    I guess I need to be more clear, I didn't mean mod the stock radio to do more, I meant build a car pc to use as my radio, and use QNX as the os, and find a way to skin the os to look like the factory set up, just with extra perks. I wonder now would it be better to build an arm system or a 64-bit X86 system
    You probably won't find much in the way of software on top of QNX to do it, its all proprietary software they put on there in your car. It's really not just "skinning" the OS, theres a lot more to it than that.

You're better off with stripping down XP or running XPe and then running a front end like Centrafuse, OpenMobile, or RoadRunner etc... RoadRunner was my choice.
    07-19-12 07:50 AM
    There were some guys messin' with that on a MyGig forum. (mofv"dot"com/mygig) but that site has recently disappeared off the radar. Too bad, because it was an excellent support site for MyGig stuff.
    07-19-12 08:38 AM
    I seen that site referred to many times in my searches, but it is gone before I even had a chance to check it out.
    07-20-12 12:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD