Okay, my boss is buying BBs for us. We've never had smart phones before.

I have a choice: the Bold 9700 or the Storm 2.

I love the idea of the Storm 2, nice touchscreen interface, larger screen etc. However, the Bold 9700 also seems to be a good BB.

My Needs:
    Need to email a lot
    Need to view PDF
    Need to view and edit Word and Excel files
    Need to view PowerPoint files
    Need to have a voice recorder (dictaphone) function.

So is there any major reason NOT to get one or the other or any major reason why I SHOULD get one over the other.

Be gentle, it's my first post here and reading the specific Storm2 and Bold 9700 forums hasn't really answered my question...

Halp me, pleazes!!
    02-03-10 10:07 AM
    If you're going to be typing out emails all day then get the 9700. You should try typing on the storm 2 to see how you like it. Go and mess with both phones in the store before you buy and go from there.
    02-03-10 10:14 AM
    If you're going to be typing out emails all day then get the 9700. You should try typing on the storm 2 to see how you like it. Go and mess with both phones in the store before you buy and go from there.
    Defo agree with this. May sound cool at first typing on touch. But if you do alot of emails a physical keyboard will work out for you.

Trust me i gave my iphone to my GF just so i could use a Bold for work

Oh and welcome to the boards.

Any questions about BB this site has it.
    02-03-10 10:18 AM
    Where do you live?
    Where will you be traveling to?
    Who has the best service in these areas?

It seems from your list that you are going to be a heavy business/school user, and typing a LOT. I'd recommend the Bold 9700 if you are going with AT&T or T-mobile, and the Tour or {Tour 2/Essex, not released yet} if you are going to be on Verizon. I just don't think the full physical QWERTY keyboard can be matched in heavy document editing and messaging, no matter how fast Salomondrin can type on the Storm 2. And he's damned fast.
    02-03-10 10:20 AM
    9700, Without equivocation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-10 10:24 AM
    Where do you live?
    Where will you be traveling to?
    Who has the best service in these areas?

It seems from your list that you are going to be a heavy business/school user, and typing a LOT. I'd recommend the Bold 9700 if you are going with AT&T or T-mobile, and the Tour or {Tour 2/Essex, not released yet} if you are going to be on Verizon. I just don't think the full physical QWERTY keyboard can be matched in heavy document editing and messaging, no matter how fast Salomondrin can type on the Storm 2. And he's damned fast.
    I agree with this, it's going to depend on what service provider is going to give you the best service for the areas that you are going to be in. While the Storm2 offers the nice touchscreen interface, and the hardware has been vastly improved over the Storm1, it's not going to be as efficient for typing out long e-mails, or documents than the physical keyboard.
    02-03-10 10:33 AM
    the 9700 gets a lot better battery life then the storm 2 I would get the bold if I were you
    02-03-10 10:34 AM
    having NOT used either device, I'd have to agree with the above posters. Depending on your line of work (of course) but if messaging/emailing is a big part of it, then you'll want a real keyboard. BUT before you decide either way get your hands on both models and try them out. See what feels good in your hands. Also browse the forums for any "issues" that a specific device might have.

Personally I'd go with the 9700 over the storm2. I still think the touchscreen OS needs work and RIM hasn't quite gotten it nailed down (based on browsing the forums and NOT from personal experience)

good luck
    02-03-10 10:36 AM
    Thanks for all the replies people So apart from the typing, do both phones have a voice recorder? Is it good? How long can you record for?

EDIT: I'm UK based and it will be on Vodafone. I'll be travelling a lot in Europe and sometimes in the US. Vodafone are generally good in Europe and the parts of the US I've been to.

EDIT2: Yeah, visiting the store to try them out would be good but my boss wants to order them tomorrow and only told me he was getting them today...as the Americans here might say, Go figure!
    Last edited by CrankyFecker; 02-03-10 at 11:19 AM.
    02-03-10 11:02 AM
    Looks to be a 1-hour time limit on voice notes, and yes, they both have it.
    02-03-10 11:24 AM
    Awesome, thanks...if there was a 'thanks' button on these forums I'd have broken it by now
    02-03-10 11:30 AM
    Yeah for heavy message usage get a full physical keyboard
    02-03-10 03:28 PM
    Absolutely get a physical keyboard if you do a lot of emails...take it from a guy who types a lot of emails. Get the 9700.
    02-03-10 03:56 PM
    Another vote for something with a physical keyboard.

I see you've already responded, but just wanted to add that I made my decision and I was subsequently seduced by the touch screen and larger screen for browsing when I went to buy, even though I'm a heavy e-mailer. I am now planning to pay full retail (I'd say "ouch" but it's my own fault...) for the Tour 2 when it comes out just to get a physical keyboard. Granted, I have the Storm 1 and not the 2 (which is leading to some other non-keyboard frustrations, to be fair), but even with the improvements of the Storm 2, I would still go for a physical keyboard.
    02-03-10 04:03 PM
    agree. lots of e-mail = need for a physical keypad. get the 9700.
    02-04-10 12:02 AM
    sounds like you need a 9700...
    02-04-10 01:23 AM
    So looks like the Storm 2 isn't a favourite

Okay, last question folks, can either of these phones handle Flash or will they be able to with future OS updates?
    02-04-10 10:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD