Todd Wood, Senior Vice President of Design at BlackBerry has claimed early flexible phones will be little more than a 'novelty' product. Flexible phones are something that we have seen and designers have dreamed about for years and it could lead to interesting and exciting new form factors," Wood said in an exclusive interview with . "People are always looking for something new, new frontiers and novelties are great."Although not completely downbeat on the idea of futuristic flexible phones, Wood, who highlighted a number of possible benefits from such devices, suggested now might not be the right time to rush such products to market.
    ......one of the things for certain that we learned from televisions is that it will always catch some light in the room that will get in the way of the content on the screen. "Designers always wanted them [TVs] to be flat to manage reflections. Curvature, whether it is concave or convex, will begin to pick up its surroundings so then you start to have to deal with coatings and the such."
    ....I think the possibility could be exciting for fit-to-hand and fit-to-face devices and mobility in general, Wood said. Those are things we love as a company at BlackBerry but in the end consumers vote and that is the ultimate design contest.

Full text:
    First flexible phones will be a novelty suggests BlackBerry design head - News - Trusted Reviews
    BergerKing likes this.
    05-21-13 09:18 AM
    Todd Wood, Senior Vice President of Design at BlackBerry has claimed early flexible phones will be little more than a 'novelty' product. “Flexible phones are something that we have seen and designers have dreamed about for years and it could lead to interesting and exciting new form factors," Wood said in an exclusive interview with . "People are always looking for something new, new frontiers and novelties are great."Although not completely downbeat on the idea of futuristic flexible phones, Wood, who highlighted a number of possible benefits from such devices, suggested now might not be the right time to rush such products to market.
    ......one of the things for certain that we learned from televisions is that it will always catch some light in the room that will get in the way of the content on the screen. "Designers always wanted them [TVs] to be flat to manage reflections. Curvature, whether it is concave or convex, will begin to pick up its surroundings so then you start to have to deal with coatings and the such."
    ....“I think the possibility could be exciting for fit-to-hand and fit-to-face devices and mobility in general,” Wood said. “Those are things we love as a company at BlackBerry but in the end consumers vote and that is the ultimate design contest.”

Full text:
    First flexible phones will be a novelty suggests BlackBerry design head - News - Trusted Reviews
    I remember seeing the early videos from The Astonishing Tribe employing flexible screen ideas. It will definitely be an interesting future once they get the idea to work out.
    06-01-13 07:15 PM
    Never say never in the tech world!
    BergerKing likes this.
    06-01-13 07:34 PM
    Will it be the same as Samsung flexible phone?

Posted via CB10
    BergerKing likes this.
    06-01-13 07:53 PM
    Never say never in the tech world!
    Exactly. BlackBerry should know this for sure. Cough...cough...touchscreen phones.

#postedwithaZ10 -- Foodie? Check out CBFN: Channel C0004E653
    BergerKing likes this.
    06-01-13 08:27 PM
    Blackberry says this about everything. Looks like they have learned nothing about embracing possible market trends.
    BergerKing likes this.
    06-01-13 10:07 PM
    RIM failed to move when the touchscreen phone became popular, as they possibly thought they could endure the onslaught of touchscreen phones. Possibly because they had endured previous touchscreen phones, predominantly Windows Mobile devices.

I think that what RIM missed, though, was that it wasn't so much the interface of touch, but it was that the iPhone introduced an operating system that was fresh, very easy to use and visually interesting. The barrier of using a Windows Mobile phone was that the OS was clunky, and had the visual design of a shrunken Windows XP (an old operating system even back then). You could use a finger with WM, but a stylus was a huge help. It was possibly because the iPhone removed the barrier of "ease of use" that caused the massive upswing in smartphone adoption

I say this as a punter, as I'm no visionary when it comes to tech and will never convince anyone otherwise, but I do not see where a flexible screen removes any barrier, other than it may fit into a pocket better. I'm cautiously with Todd Wood on this one. And if the first series of flexible phones have major issues and high returns, as I think all those internal moving components would wear faster than a solid phone with no moving parts, then flexy phones may be novelty for a short time.
    06-01-13 11:35 PM
    I'm just thinking if its a flexable device, can you imagine if you could fold a z10 in half and throw It in your pocket. That would be cool.

Sent from my game boy color
    06-01-13 11:39 PM
    The way I see it, flexible screen means it's less likely to break and it will also allow for thinner phones or bigger batteries.
    06-02-13 05:24 AM