This is my first Blackberry (8350i) and I love it!
    Is the GPS navigation app that comes preinstalled pretty good? Is it a RIM app? I used it a few times but it didn't impress me much. How is it compared to any of the other ones that can be installed (weather free or paid for)? Is it worth not using the preinstalled one and install a different one?
    I searched the threads for other navigation apps and there was a ton of information. Has there ever been a general consensus as to with ones are the better ones?
    Also, when rendering maps, does it gather the information from a cellular signal or satelite?

Thanks for any insight,
    Jamie
    02-06-10 12:37 AM
    I use Telnav all the time. I have not paid for any apps to load on my BB. Telnav works just fine for me. It all depend on what features you really need. As for weather apps its the same deal. If you go to BB app world you can find lots of app to install on your BB.
    02-06-10 07:21 AM
    I agree, have used TeleNav numerous times, works like a charm, no errors and gets the job done nicely. Their web page account setup is pretty cool too, lets you easily add any address to your favorites and updates quickly. All in all, a great product.
    02-06-10 07:26 AM
    Thanks for the replies. Televav does look good. It cost $9.99/mo, correct? I may try it. However if I end up using navigation only occasionally, is there a free nav app that people are satisfied with?
    Thanks again,
    Jamie
    02-06-10 09:25 AM
    Telnav is free if you are on one of the everything data plans from Sprint/Nextel. Never cost me a penny to use and use it all the time.
    02-06-10 09:38 AM
    OK, great. I have that plan so I'll try it. So the navigation that comes preloaded is Sprint Navigation? And Telenav ismuch better?
    Thanks again,
    Jamie
    02-06-10 03:02 PM
    If you have an 8350i then you have Telenav and like a previous poster said if you have the everything data plan from Sprint / Nextel then Telenav is included in the price of the plan.

I drive for a living and have tried a few of the applications that have been posted on the forums and landed up sticking with Telenav. I'm not going to say it's 100% right for directions but it's pretty darn close.

Mikey P
    02-06-10 04:56 PM
    GARMIN MOBILE for Blackberry works wonders... It uses Sattelite and Cellphone towers to pin-point your location. It is a very accurate GPS mobile app and it has voice navigation (TEXT TO SPEECH)... The address search is the most simple and easy of all and the graphics are impressive... Best of all it's free... Garmin | Follow the leader
    ------------------------
    I heard many rumors that this GPS program is just a trial but I've been using it successfully for 4 months (with no hacks) and still going strong...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-10 06:19 PM
    GARMIN MOBILE for Blackberry works wonders... It uses Sattelite and Cellphone towers to pin-point your location. It is a very accurate GPS mobile app and it has voice navigation (TEXT TO SPEECH)... The address search is the most simple and easy of all and the graphics are impressive... Best of all it's free...
    ------------------------
    I heard many rumors that this GPS program is just a trial but I've been using it successfully for 4 months (with no hacks) and still going strong...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I've been using Garmin Mobile PC since it was released love it, mapping data is very up to date. I used Co-Pilot before that. I took a look at Garmin for Blackberry, it's a free 7 day trial and $99.99 to purchase on their website.

Question:

Garmin Mobile for Blackberry
    (Part Number: 010-D0030-00)

Says that a data plan is required, will it still work with a GPS receiver? I've been using the Sprint Overdrive w/my notebook and Garmin Mobile PC.
    Last edited by 503ducati; 02-06-10 at 07:50 PM.
    02-06-10 07:05 PM
    I found Telenav in my Downloads folder! Don't know how I missed it because I've been in there before...Definatly better then the Sprint's TeleAtlas powered GPS service. The strange thing is that Googling revealed that TeleAtlas provides the N American maps for Telenav but also have their own Navagation program which is the default used in the 8350i (it's on the phone's desktop) whereas Telenav is hidden in the Downloads folder.
    Hope this helps someone else too.
    Thanks again,
    Jamie

P.S. It seems as some people use Google Maps in conjunction with their other nav program. Why is that?
    02-06-10 10:00 PM
    TeleAtlas provides the N American maps for Telenav but also have their own Navagation program which is the default used in the 8350i (it's on the phone's desktop) whereas Telenav is hidden in the Downloads folder.
    I've had the 8350i since it came out and have downloaded all the software updates and have never seen TeleAtlas on my phone. I know that the phone comes loaded with TeleNav and BB Maps. Am I missing something?

Mikey P

Update: I just checked out the TeleAtlas website and do not see any end user products.
    Last edited by Dispatcher35; 02-07-10 at 04:33 PM.
    02-07-10 04:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD