Hey All,

Got my first blackberry yesterday (Curve 8520) and up to now I'm loving it. I find myself picking it up all the time and just flicking through stuff without any reason at all. But yeah, Getting quite used to it now and was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on a good case for it and maybe your favourite themes?

Oh and how durable are they, I'm not planning on dropping it but its always good to know in advance.

Thanks
    09-02-10 11:43 AM
    Hello and welcome The Curve 8520 was my first BB too and I had a great time with it.

I'm sure the majority here would recommend an Otterbox. Let me pitch in with what I used - full body Case-Mate and it protected my phone extremely well. Virtually inside it all the time for 6 months, no scratches at all and kept my phone alive from several 5-foot drops. No kidding! It added a nice bulk to the phone which I enjoyed a lot. It also made the keypad much more fulfilling to type on. I don't know how to explain that last bit. I believe it's commercial name is "Smart Skin" if you google for it.

One app to recommend would be Quicklaunch! Just get it while it's on sale. It'll pay itself off in no time. As for themes, I downloaded some from HedoneDesigns when they were like 2.50 per pop but the novelty wears out pretty fast. Get a theme which is minimalistic. The screen on the Curve is cramped as it is already. If you really want a good premium theme go for the AppleBerry one. I had it and used it as my default all the time.
    09-02-10 12:19 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply, found the case and looks like exactly what I wanted. I'll take your advise on themes as I have noticed that the screen is a little cramped,

Thanks
    09-02-10 12:54 PM
    I just got my first one too! Bold 9700. I also keep picking mine up and playing with it. I switched from an android, but so far I'm really loving this!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-10 04:01 AM
    You really don't need a case for the 8520, at most a simple silicon case to prevent nicks. I don't know why anyone would need an otterbox case unless you're working on a construction site or something. I drop my 8530 all the time, on concrete a couple times.
    09-05-10 11:39 AM
    I just got my first one too! Bold 9700. I also keep picking mine up and playing with it. I switched from an android, but so far I'm really loving this!

With folks going the other way - from BB to another platform, would you mine quickly saying why you left the android platform? This is a spur of the moment question....
    09-05-10 12:26 PM
    With folks going the other way - from BB to another platform, would you mine quickly saying why you left the android platform? This is a spur of the moment question....
    He got smart ! ! !

09-05-10 01:03 PM
    He got smart ! ! !

Or likes old technology... Let's just quit with the unhelpful remarks and realize BB's aren't for everyone, nor are Androids or iPhones please...

I too am interested to hear a) which android device the poster switched from, and b) what the reason(s) were for that switch, since I'm considering making the jump to Android myself...

09-05-10 01:39 PM

I love my BB's, Ive had many of them. I was considering getting a andriod. Ive heard of BB users changing to andriod, but not trading from adroid back to BB, any reason you did?
    09-05-10 02:37 PM
    Welcome to your addiction.

I got a curve 8900 last summer, used it for a few months and got a bold 9000. tried going to a WM samsung jack, sold it and went back to the 9000. tried a samsung mythic and motorola backflip, went to a 9700. tried an iphone 4, now back to a 9700.
    09-05-10 03:04 PM
    I'm not a fan of themes as they are constantly running and can use up valuable memory. I'd rather have that memory for apps. I do however recommend the Otterbox cases, especially the Defender series as they provide MAXIMUM protection from bumps and drops. They will not pop apart like other cases do. They are expensive but consider a $50 case versus damage from a drop that won't be covered under warranty and that $100 or so deductable if you have insurance. You can never have enough protection...just ask my 2 kids...lol.

Seriously tho, welcome to the world of Crackberry!

09-05-10 05:35 PM
    Blackberries are Electronic Drugs of the worst kind.
    09-05-10 07:12 PM
    Blackberries are Electronic Drugs of the worst kind.
    My wife (an OR nurse) says that up until recently, all the anesthesiologists she works with (that's a LOT of them), had BB's. Now, times have changed and about 20% of them have switched to iPhones or droids. (I mention this because you mentioned "drugs", as well as the fact she has told me they are all addicted to their BB's--thumbing out their texts, while the patient is "asleep", to keep in contact with their offices, etc)
    09-05-10 08:21 PM

would you like to add me to your bbm?
    09-06-10 06:10 AM
    It sounds like the addiction has already started. Your BB is durable and depending how well you take care of it will last as long as you want it to.
    Welcome to Crackberry!
    09-06-10 10:06 AM
    I would love to hear this answer as well. I have been considering leaving BB for Android and would love to know what brought you to BB.
    09-06-10 04:45 PM
    I would love to hear this answer as well. I have been considering leaving BB for Android and would love to know what brought you to BB.
    +1...................
    09-06-10 04:48 PM
    hey, my first BB should be arriving on wednesday, getting a 9700 and i can't wait to start using it lol, pretty sad eh??
    09-06-10 04:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD