My first looks are up. Some things really impress me so far. Some things really don't.

here it is.

And it goes without saying that this is an official Smartphone Round Robin thread.
    Last edited by Mike Overbo; 10-30-07 at 03:47 PM.
    10-30-07 03:38 PM
    Two more days of BlackBerry use? We'll make a CrackBerry addict out of you yet!
    10-30-07 04:04 PM
    I do feel like I'm already running out of time with it. There's a bunch more stuff that I'm looking to explore.

I didn't get a chance to talk about the availability of the heavy-hitting J2ME apps yet -- that they exist is a very good thing (Facebook, Yahoo! Go, GMM, Opera Mini, etc). The big-name internet companies tend to treat Palm OS development like a cemetary nowadays.

I haven't really checked out the games scene yet either, I'm curious to see how they function without a d-pad or 5-way.

I like the simplicity of the PIM apps tho -- I can tell they got a lot of love from RIM's BB developers. More on that in the Friday article.
    10-30-07 04:19 PM
    I am currently a WM 5 user thinking about switch to a Curve. Let us know which you prefer.
    10-30-07 05:34 PM
    Welcome to the fold Mike, BlackBerry is the way to go.
    10-30-07 05:58 PM
    I am currently a WM 5 user thinking about switch to a Curve. Let us know which you prefer.
    Last I used WM5, I encountered some real nasty bugs with it. They were eventually fixed, but by then I had to move on from WM5. That said, it all depends on the handset with WM, whether it's Pocket PC or Smartphone Ed. (i.e., touchscreen or not) and what you're planning on using it for.

The BlackBerry will be easier to use, but gives you a narrower field of use. Windows Mobile is probably 2nd to BlackBerry in terms of email slurpage, and I believe you can still use BB Connect.

Battery life will be better on a BB and the BB will be smaller than all but the newest and fanciest (and most expensive) of the touchscreen WM devices, but you'll probably be able to do more with WM. Multi-tasking on the WM device will be better as well. But, multi-tasking is better than no multi-tasking.

There are some very slick applications out there for WM that cover for many shortcomings in the default WM5 install, though -- a little SPB Mobile Shell goes a long way. The BB will assuredly be more 1-handed than WM, but depending on the device, WM may have a better screen. I'm not generally fond of slider form factors but the Tilt is good, for example.

If you're asking about wm5 smartphone edition, I'm probably the wrong guy to ask. Ping Dieter Bohn aka Septimus about that after he's reviewed the Curve.

Welcome to the fold Mike, BlackBerry is the way to go.
    Heh. BlackBerry is a way to go. You'll get that much out of me, at least.
    10-30-07 06:58 PM
    I almost think you should have gotten the 8320 so it would be more of a fair comparison between all the devices. I would've liked to hear your thoughts about WiFi use between all devices.... oh well... maybe next time.
    10-30-07 07:31 PM
    Last I used WM5, I encountered some real nasty bugs with it. They were eventually fixed, but by then I had to move on from WM5. That said, it all depends on the handset with WM, whether it's Pocket PC or Smartphone Ed. (i.e., touchscreen or not) and what you're planning on using it for.

The BlackBerry will be easier to use, but gives you a narrower field of use. Windows Mobile is probably 2nd to BlackBerry in terms of email slurpage, and I believe you can still use BB Connect.

Battery life will be better on a BB and the BB will be smaller than all but the newest and fanciest (and most expensive) of the touchscreen WM devices, but you'll probably be able to do more with WM. Multi-tasking on the WM device will be better as well. But, multi-tasking is better than no multi-tasking.

There are some very slick applications out there for WM that cover for many shortcomings in the default WM5 install, though -- a little SPB Mobile Shell goes a long way. The BB will assuredly be more 1-handed than WM, but depending on the device, WM may have a better screen. I'm not generally fond of slider form factors but the Tilt is good, for example.

If you're asking about wm5 smartphone edition, I'm probably the wrong guy to ask. Ping Dieter Bohn aka Septimus about that after he's reviewed the Curve.

Heh. BlackBerry is a way to go. You'll get that much out of me, at least.
    Great short writeup Mike. I'm really curious about your other findings on the Curve as you're big on Multimedia as I am. I heard that BB has come a long way with multimedia and webbrowsing, but it still pales in comparison to the other smartphone OSes. SO please, write more! I'm waiting to "slurp" it all up.
    10-30-07 08:55 PM
    I really enjoyed the write-up and appreciate how you are coming at this. I agree with many of your comments, particularly with regard to the browser - its crap.

What I like about my Blackberry Pearl is it just works. For a long time I carried a 7290 and a Razr - couldn't imagine holding that thing up to my ear (something my Palm friends couldn't quite understand). Bought my Pearl just prior to the Curve coming out - if I can hold out long enough, the 3g Curve will be my next device.

I look forward to reading more from you and the other editors - what a great idea from the folks at Smartphone!
    10-30-07 09:21 PM
    I almost think you should have gotten the 8320 so it would be more of a fair comparison between all the devices. I would've liked to hear your thoughts about WiFi use between all devices.... oh well... maybe next time.
    I would have liked the 8320 too, but I think Dieter, myself, and Jennifer all have AT&T, and I don't think the 8320 is available unlocked yet -- still a T-Mo exclusive? I could be wrong here.
    Last edited by kasperapd; 10-31-07 at 02:19 PM.
    10-30-07 09:44 PM
    BlackBerry is a/the way to go, indeed!
    10-30-07 11:45 PM
    tend to treat Palm OS development like a cemetary nowadays
    The palm OS is dead, it's not a wonder they treat it like a graveyard, Palm OS has been delayed so many times now it's not even funny any more and for Palm to resort to WinMobile in the meantime put the nail in the coffin for it, they basically killed their DIE HARD user base and looked towards creating a new user base with WinMobile..shame, I still have faith that Palm may rise from the dead, but lets just say I would'nt put any money into em at this point. and yes Mike, you could have had an 8320, unlocking for has been possible since launch if not slightly prior to launch...even though a T-Mob exclusive device, still would have worked for the round robin,as for your thoughts on the BB Browser, you've come into this "testing" phase at a critical point as well, especially with the Pearl 2 soon to launched which will be introducing the 4.3 OS and a newly updated browser, unfortunately, their has been no reviews on this browser as of yet.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 10-31-07 at 03:06 AM.
    10-31-07 02:31 AM
    I agree for a smartphone the battery life holds up quite well. Especially with PUSH and all the other apps to use.
    10-31-07 08:34 AM
    Excellent write up! Yes the browser needs an overhaul. If you've experienced PIE, Opera and iPhone you'd know what I am talking about.

3G for me only meant that I was able to view streaming vids. When I had the HTC 8525 on WM5 and WM6 the battery life was so terrible that it really defeated the purpose of providing any type of recreational use. Plus I am an avid texter.

I suppose it all depends on what one plans on using the phone for, what one can live with or live without as well.
    10-31-07 08:53 AM
    I would have liked the 8320 too, but I think Dieter, myself, and Jennifer all have AT&T, and I don't think the 8320 is available unlocked yet -- still a T-Mo exclusive? I could be wrong here.
    Of course it can be unlocked... for a small fee to your favorite unlocking service.
    10-31-07 02:20 PM
    there's a service that can unlock 8320s with a quick turnaround time.. if you send your request before 5PM Pacific, you get the code and instructions on the same night
    10-31-07 02:42 PM
    more and more phones are being unlocked, which the case may be that to a certain point more models off the manufacturing belt will be unlocked for the purpose of consumerism testing, in order to benefit sales.
    10-31-07 06:31 PM
    The ONLY thing I will agree with is the Browser. Nothing Opera Mini can't fix though. There will NEVER be a one all device that will please everyone.
    10-31-07 07:11 PM
    Is it possible to unlock an 8310 to use with tmo?
    10-31-07 08:27 PM
    11-01-07 07:02 AM
    There will NEVER be a one all device that will please everyone.
    Probably not, but I hope that by the next time I upgrade my phone there will at least be one that pleases me. The only thing my curve is missing is better game support (and a better nes emulator than vnes). I like the Opera Mini browser but 3G would be nice. Maybe a camera with optical zoom but I'm pressing my luck here. Oh well, I'm up for another upgrade in August so we'll see what happens.
    11-01-07 11:35 AM
    The 90xx series should have 3G support. I don't think we'll ever see game support on the Blackberry's. They are not ment as a multimedia device as their primary function, they are getting better with media but you have to remember that the primary function of the device is phone and push email first, anything else is second.
    11-01-07 11:41 AM
    I enjoyed hearing the opinion of an Iphone user on switching to the blackberry for a short time. I don't own a blackberry yet so it helps me see another outsiders perspective.
    11-02-07 04:22 PM
    While I'll readily concede that the browser and lack of a touchscreen are major downers on the BB, I still think the UI and menu system is first-rate in terms of simplicity while still maintaining some pretty advanced functionality.
    11-04-07 04:36 PM
    I like that u were honest and saud how much u liked the device... I wsasnt expecting such a lovely review... Well I was cuz hey its a bb but ya... Ya kno... honest

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-07 06:09 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD