You know this question was coming with the new iPhone 5s keynote today. Apple just invented today a groundbreaking new feature called fingerprint scanning, you don't need to type a password no more. Instead the home button scans your finger and let's you access your device.

Do you think BlackBerry will integrate this mind blowing feature into one of it's upcoming devices?

Posted via CB10
    M65c02 likes this.
    09-10-13 06:25 PM
    Absolutely not. The Blackberry 10 devices were conceived in 2011, and we're just seeing them in 2013. Ain't no more tricks up Thorsten's sleeve unfortunately.
    bbqsanchez and AlexXF like this.
    09-10-13 06:32 PM
    You know this question was coming with the new iPhone 5s keynote today. Apple just invented today a groundbreaking new feature called fingerprint scanning, you don't need to type a password no more. Instead the home button scans your finger and let's you access your device.

Do you think BlackBerry will integrate this mind blowing feature into one of it's upcoming devices?

Posted via CB10
    If BlackBerry continues to make hardware, yes I think they will incorporate it and so will everyone else.

Mind blowing, no. A heck of a lot more convenient than typing in your password every time, yes.

Some of us have things on our phones other people have no business seeing. Device security is important to me but typing in my password a hundred times a day gets annoying.
    09-10-13 06:34 PM
    It's just a dumb idea anyways. How many family members and friends and kids use our devices, so now we would need to finger print scan all these people and save them so they can unlock the device. Or constantly have to unlock it for them , it's just easier not to lock devices, if it gets stolen it's your own fault for losing it, don't own technology you can't manage

Posted via CB10
    der_mit likes this.
    09-10-13 06:34 PM
    Did you really just say "ground breaking feature"? Lol

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 06:38 PM
    Apple just invented today a groundbreaking new feature called fingerprint scanning.

Posted via CB10

This is funny.
    09-10-13 06:41 PM
    Mindblowing and groundbreaking, lol
    And change that "invented" for "implemented".

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    09-10-13 06:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm not quite sure it is "mind blowing" - I believe a Motorola Atrix running Android had this feature in 2011.
    09-10-13 06:43 PM
    No one is wondering where and what data base your finger print may end up?

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 06:43 PM
    its a great feature but they didnt invent it and they werent first, the konka k5 and konka v981 android phones at least have fingerprint scanning hardware already.

i dont think its dumb or unnecessary at all, i dont want someone looking over my shoulder to see my pin or attempting to brute force it if they manage to steal it from me. with a fingerprint scanner theyd have to kidnap my thumb too or force me to unlock it for them and whos going to do that?
    just_luc and playbook_swiper1 like this.
    09-10-13 06:44 PM
    If Blackberry would have used this it would be mind-blowing to a lot of fanboys in here. Since they didn't its just a so-so feature.

And yes the Atrix had this feature. Unfortunately it never worked right and was annoying (at least on mine).
    09-10-13 06:46 PM
    I'd rather have Balance to hide my secret **** on.

And I think the OP was being sarcastic with the whole groundbreaking and mind blowing thing. It's not like anyone is moving to NY temporarily or anything.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 06:46 PM
    It's not any more secure, unless you're one of the 50% who don't use a passcode for convenience. For the rest of us it certainly is a lot more convenient than having to type in your passcode a dozen times per day
    just_luc likes this.
    09-10-13 06:47 PM
    LG IQ had a finger print scanner in 2009 running windows phone
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    09-10-13 06:50 PM
    I am not a conspiracy theorist, but in light of the NSA's reputation, do you kit think they would love access to the fingerprints!?? Physical evidence!

From Zed to U via CB10
    09-10-13 06:53 PM
    Just one more thing for the NSA to try to lift off my phone. No thanks. I'll keep my password.

Check out the AZ MTB Channel C0006F5EB .
    09-10-13 06:54 PM
    Just one more thing for the NSA to try to lift off my phone. No thanks. I'll keep my password.

Edit: beat me by a few seconds....but point still stands.

09-10-13 06:55 PM
    This feature was on a lot of electronics. My laptop from 2005 has it too!
    It all boils down to how practical it is. Most of the time I've used fingerprint scanning, it isn't all that accurate, sadly, and you can't expect the hardware to be very good in an iphone. Who am I kidding. The hardware is awful for its price
    It will be fantastic for the iPhone fanboys, but to be honest, I really couldn't care less
    Security wise, people could chop off your finger and murder you and still access your phone
    With BB, you don't have that problem
    09-10-13 07:06 PM
    Just in case you guys didn't know..the fingerprints are not stored anywhere but locally on the phone...it's not in the cloud or in some database. Only way NSA(wow you guys are paranoid lol) or anyone else can get the fingerprints would be to physically have the device in hand. And that's where remote wiping the device comes in handy.
    richardat likes this.
    09-10-13 07:10 PM
    Actually, credit where credit is due...

Their implementation is much more elegant than what was used in the Atrix and currently used in many laptops.

In those implementations a user needs to learn how to correctly 'swipe' the finger past the linear sensor, and the fingerprint pattern gets stitched together based on the motion. As anyone that's used these knows... you have to do it exactly like when you trained it or it won't work.

The iPhone uses a two dimensional sensor (not linear) and such that the entire fingerprint pattern can be obtained without any swiping of then finger... making it much more user friendly I imagine.

Just don't break the home button.

Posted via CB10
    Dmessenger likes this.
    09-10-13 07:15 PM
    lol. I hope not. Spouses will be breaking into each others phones easily. All they'll have to do is wait for the person to fall asleep and put the scanner on their thumb. Instant access.
    fanisk, DocDRM, neoberry99 and 8 others like this.
    09-10-13 07:18 PM
    I'm pretty sure that the op is being sarcastic

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 07:21 PM
    I don't want a fingerprint scanner on my Blackberry.

Its creepy. With the NSA watching everything its too easy for them now to get your bio-metric information with this new "i" feature.

Not trying too sound like a conspiracy theorist, but let's connect the dots here.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 07:22 PM
    Fingerprint scanning and BlackBerry?-img_00001140_edit.png

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    09-10-13 07:23 PM
    This post is sarcasm, right?

Posted via CB10
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    09-10-13 07:25 PM
349 123 ...