Hi CB users!

I'm new to the forums and that's because I plan on purchasing a new BlackBerry and I need help with a couple questions that I can't seem to find answers for...any help is appreciated!

1)I live in Canada but I attend school in the states, so I'm looking to buy a BlackBerry on EBAY that I can unlock or is unlocked so I can use when I am at school and at home....

Now I know that this phone will have to use a SIM card, so that rules out any CDMA phones like the tour. But both the Curve 8900 and Bold 9700 use sim cards right, so it's as easy as simply having two carriers, one in the US and one in Canada, and I can switch my two SIM cards depending on wherever I am. Is this right?

2) Also, I will not be getting a data plan because I am a student and simply can't afford it. However, I think alot of my friends can still access the internet and Facebook and such using the Wi-Fi on their Blackberry's on campus. I have read though that if you don't have a data plan this feature is still inaccessible. Can someone answer this? And if it helps I will be going AT&T because their prepaid phone contracts use SIM cards (right? lol).

3) Also, Does BBM only work with a Data Plan, like can I use it while using Wi-Fi?

Those are the three general questions that I am really trying to figure out so that I know I am not wasting my money. Thanks in advance for all your help!!
    Last edited by stuarts; 07-12-10 at 03:47 PM.
    07-12-10 03:41 PM
    1) buy an unlocked device and use it on T-mobile (GSM) they will not require you to use a BIS/BES plan, most other companies will require the use of a smartphone package on any smart phone
    2) Wi-Fi will not be sufficient for most applications you will need a BIS/BES plan to make them work.
    3) BBM only works over BIS/BES devices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-10 03:55 PM
    1. I live in the states so I don't know much about Canadian carriers, but I can help with a few things. The CDMA Tour, Bold, and Storm all have GSM radios in them so they can be unlocked and used on Att or other carriers. But yes an unlocked phone will work how you want it.

The best choice would be to get an Att or Rogers branded 9700 though. Both those 9700's use the same 3G frequencies, so you'll get 3G service both there and in the states. A Tmobile 9700 or any 8900 you will only get EDGE speeds.

2. You will be able to browse the internet connected to wifi, but many RIM services/apps won't work. (FaceBook, BBM, any of RIM's chat apps, Twitter, native email client). The BlackBerry is very disabled without the data plan, but you could still get some use out of it. Facebook can be viewed from the mobile site, or by using Bolt or OperaMini (both 3rd party browsers)

I do know that some carriers in Canada offer "student plans" that are low cost and give you access to some of the features of a BlackBerry.

Being on a prepaid Att plan will only give you calls and texts, nothing else. MMS won't even work for you because that too requires a BlackBerry Data Plan.

3. Was answered in 2

Overall, you will have a disabled Blackberry but will still be able to browse the internet on wifi. Many people here use their phones with no data plan and get by just fine.
    07-12-10 04:05 PM
    Thanks for the help so far!

So I see what you are saying...even though the Blackberry apps will be disabled without a data plan, technically I still could access Facebook off of the internet browser, along with my hotmail accounts and such right? Also, do apps include like msn messenger and stuff?

The frequencies would be important yes; is the Curve 8900 offered on 3g, like can I buy an AT&T or Rogers one? Or is the 9700 the best one offered by these carriers. I'm asking this cause I kinda had my mind set on the 8900 :P but there isnt much difference between the bold 9700 and curve 8900 right?

And with the prepaid AT&T plan, will I be able to access the Wi-Fi still? I just can't use ANY apps?

Thank you so much!
    07-12-10 04:15 PM
    1. I live in the states so I don't know much about Canadian carriers, but I can help with a few things. The CDMA Tour, Bold, and Storm all have GSM radios in them so they can be unlocked and used on Att or other carriers. But yes an unlocked phone will work how you want it.

The best choice would be to get an Att or Rogers branded 9700 though. Both those 9700's use the same 3G frequencies, so you'll get 3G service both there and in the states. A Tmobile 9700 or any 8900 you will only get EDGE speeds.
    Why would this matter if he is getting a phone to use data via Wi-Fi. 3G doesn't help with data speeds over wifi.

and a t-Mobile Phone w/ T-mobile service will allow one to UMA for lo signal areas... ATT won't,

07-12-10 04:18 PM
    Thanks for the help so far!

So I see what you are saying...even though the Blackberry apps will be disabled without a data plan, technically I still could access Facebook off of the internet browser, along with my hotmail accounts and such right? Also, do apps include like msn messenger and stuff?

The frequencies would be important yes; is the Curve 8900 offered on 3g, like can I buy an AT&T or Rogers one? Or is the 9700 the best one offered by these carriers. I'm asking this cause I kinda had my mind set on the 8900 :P but there isnt much difference between the bold 9700 and curve 8900 right?

And with the prepaid AT&T plan, will I be able to access the Wi-Fi still? I just can't use ANY apps?

Thank you so much!

IM services require BIS/BES.

07-12-10 04:19 PM
    The 8900 is not a 3G device, it will never get 3G on any network.

Why would this matter if he is getting a phone to use data via Wi-Fi. 3G doesn't help with data speeds over wifi.

and a t-Mobile Phone w/ T-mobile service will allow one to UMA for lo signal areas... ATT won't,

True, but I also suggested he look into student plans, some can be very cheap and cater to a students needs. Even Att has cheap BIS plans now. A BlackBerry is also an investment. They are expensive phones, not something that most people want to buy very often. So getting one that will work best in the places he wants to use it will be beneficial to him. Like maybe he might get a job in a year and want to add a data plan to his account. I just think an Att phone will work better for use in both the states and in Canada, I could be wrong though.

Is UMA available on a Tmobile prepaid plan?
    07-12-10 04:37 PM

IIRC yes it is. aslong as you have a valid T-Mobile SIM, in a T-Mobile Phone, w/ T-Mobile service.

07-12-10 04:44 PM
    The 8900 is not a 3G device, it will never get 3G on any network.

True, but I also suggested he look into student plans, some can be very cheap and cater to a students needs. Even Att has cheap BIS plans now. A BlackBerry is also an investment. They are expensive phones, not something that most people want to buy very often. So getting one that will work best in the places he wants to use it will be beneficial to him. Like maybe he might get a job in a year and want to add a data plan to his account. I just think an Att phone will work better for use in both the states and in Canada, I could be wrong though.

Yeah I see exactly what you mean. Right now I can't afford any crazy data plans, but in the future I might be able too. I will have to go with AT&T because T-mobile doesn't have coverage in my area, and since I use rogers back home anyways it would make sense to get it's affiliate's network (AT&T).

I know there are these data calculators to figure out how much data one would need, but maybe you can give me a quick estimate as to what I might use considering I'm new to all of this data stuff. I'd probabaly use facebook and check my email and such, and BBM would be fun to use as well. What apps use the most data, and how are you able to track how much you are using? And being able to use Wi-Fi alot would cut down the data usage greatly wouldn't it?
    Last edited by stuarts; 07-12-10 at 09:29 PM.
    07-12-10 07:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD