It's pretty unfair to compare data use on the current breed of BB's, Android and Apple devices to data use on last gen BB's - because the browsing experience was so bad on them, I remember not using my phone for internet unless I had to.

That said, RIM also compresses data because of running it through their servers - downside, when RIM has an outage, so do you.

I'll take my higher data plan thanks.

Even though I have a 6 Gb plan, I rarely use more than 1 GB even with heavy use. Since I got grandfathered in for the same price as the 1 GB plan, oh well.

I guess I don't understand those who buy a smartphone and have a 200 MB plan. What's the point?
    If is actually pretty fair to compare data usage on an old breed BB vs a New Breed, my data usage on my 8330, 9630, 9300, 9670, 9800, 9900, ALL sat/sit between 2-4MB per day when I travel to the US, that is doing email, necessity browsing due to high costs per MB, & BBM.

The iPhone 3G doing slightly less as it didn't have BBM but all other things pretty close equal in 2009 used considerably more, my week that cost about $15 on the BlackBerry cost about $50 on the iPhone.

my 9670 is on a 50MB data plan grandfathered from when Bell had a 50MB plan, and it has never broken the data cap when I use it.
    Seeing as my primary devices have 6GB (9900) and a shared 2GB (9300 shared with 8 other 9300's) I having my 3rd line has no need to spend more on a bigger data plan.

There are LOTS of reason to buy a smartphone and not have a need for more than 200MB, access to text based emails, (HTML email is the worst thing to happen to email IMO ), access to NON SMS based communication, such as BBM, as international charges don't apply, access to basic search needs, Rogers Canada still sells 2GB home Internet packages!! so clearly those types of users are not going to go over 200MB on their phones. why should they pay for 1GB+ plans?
    12-10-11 04:12 PM
    12-10-11 06:11 PM
    I was going to get the 9900 as a second device because of this until I realized the screen was plastic. No thanks on a touchscreen.

Huh? The Bolds 9900 and 9930 have glass screens. You must be thinking of the all touch Torches (9850/9860).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-10-11 06:16 PM
    Huh? The Bolds 9900 and 9930 have glass screens. You must be thinking of the all touch Torches (9850/9860).

I don't think its glass but it really doesn't matter as using the 9900 tourchscreen is a pleasure. The person complaining about the glass/plastic screen is nitpicking needlessly.
    12-11-11 07:27 AM

It is? It seemed to have some give when I used the 9930. Maybe the unit was really abused. The Torch screens definitely weren't glass (like you said).

I don't think its glass but it really doesn't matter as using the 9900 tourchscreen is a pleasure. The person complaining about the glass/plastic screen is nitpicking needlessly.
    How am I nitpicking? Glass is a much better material to use for a touchscreen. This is why all of the high end touchscreen devices use it. If plastic was better, they would be using that. But it isn't. It scratches much easier, it has give when you press on the screen and it overall just isn't as nice. It is pretty obvious.

Your comment was unnecessary. I'm not bashing the 9900, no need to defend it.
    Last edited by avt123; 12-11-11 at 11:12 AM.
    12-11-11 11:08 AM
    actually it has to do more with the fact that a lot of AT&T customers where on the unlimited data plan back then.
    Now a bigger percentage of their customers are on the 200mb data plan.
    200mb data plan for an iPhone!!!! Are you serious??!! What are people thinking!! Good thing here in Canada the least amount of data for an iPhone is 500mb and up. But the carriers still recommend going with a 1gb plan since its very easy to reach a 500mb limit.
    12-11-11 11:09 AM
    There are multiple plans. For example, AT&T offers $15/200 MB as well as a $25/2GB plan.
    Ok and this is definitely the users fault as they think they could do with a 200mb data on their iPhones. AT&T is also a culprit cause they have a 200mb data option since they obviously know how easy it is to go over it with an iPhone. They're just trying to make $$ off of this one and I don't blame them cause they're all Capitalists anyways!

Blackberry on the other hand could do with a 200mb since it uses data compression.
    12-11-11 11:16 AM
    Ok and this is definitely the users fault as they think they could do with a 200mb data on their iPhones.
    My wife has been on the 200 MB plan since they began offering it, with an iPhone, and has never used more than 130MB, due in part to plentiful wi-fi.
    12-11-11 11:58 AM
    My wife has been on the 200 MB plan since they began offering it, with an iPhone, and has never used more than 130MB, due in part to plentiful wi-fi.
    Definitely overlooked the wifi factor since I hardly use it on my 9900. You never have to worry about going over the limit on a Blackberry
    12-11-11 12:04 PM
    Definitely overlooked the wifi factor since I hardly use it on my 9900. You never have to worry about going over the limit on a Blackberry
    On the contrary, I bet if you polled the people here, most would tell you they use more than 200 MB a month, so if they'd made the mistake of choosing the 200 MB plan on AT&T, then they would have to worry about exceeding the limit. It's a question of usage versus plan size, not "iPhone vs BlackBerry" or anything else.
    12-11-11 12:13 PM
    It all depends on usage. I subscribe to 5 podcasts and stream radio (TuneInRadio, Pandora, iheartradio, Nobex radio) several hours a day. I rarely use WiFi. I always use over 2GB/month, and my highest usage was 6.7GB in a month. I do not tether. I am on a grandfathered unlimited data plan.
    12-11-11 12:14 PM
    On the contrary, I bet if you polled the people here, most would tell you they use more than 200 MB a month, so if they'd made the mistake of choosing the 200 MB plan on AT&T, then they would have to worry about exceeding the limit. It's a question of usage versus plan size, not "iPhone vs BlackBerry" or anything else.
    Definitely. The type of usage I do is not compressed by RIM's servers, so it is not any different for me using a BlackBerry or someone else using an iPhone/Android/Windows Phone.
    12-11-11 12:17 PM
    I think most people missed the point of the article. The point they were trying to make was that moving from an older iPhone to a new one made a sudden spike in data usage. The indication was that previously, the 200 MB plan was more than sufficient for their usage and after changing phones, data usage spiraled out of control. I think if people suddenly changed their habits and usage, they wouldn't be surprised to see a spike but when trading iPhone for iPhone, they would expect similar numbers or a modest increase at most, not a month's worth in 10 days.

Either way, iPhone users will just accept this and get a bigger data plan because they're to invested in Apple to switch away. The cost of changing platforms with buying a new phone, repurchasing apps, trying to convert their music and movies out of iTunes, etc... will pretty much make the decision for them: Once you go Apple you're stuck with their crapple
    12-11-11 12:57 PM
    I think most people missed the point of the article. The point they were trying to make was that moving from an older iPhone to a new one made a sudden spike in data usage. The indication was that previously, the 200 MB plan was more than sufficient for their usage and after changing phones, data usage spiraled out of control. I think if people suddenly changed their habits and usage, they wouldn't be surprised to see a spike but when trading iPhone for iPhone, they would expect similar numbers or a modest increase at most, not a month's worth in 10 days.

Either way, iPhone users will just accept this and get a bigger data plan because they're to invested in Apple to switch away. The cost of changing platforms with buying a new phone, repurchasing apps, trying to convert their music and movies out of iTunes, etc... will pretty much make the decision for them: Once you go Apple you're stuck with their crapple
    Any newer device will probably use more data. It has nothing to do with Apple products.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...raphic-652499/

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...onitor-665873/
    12-11-11 01:11 PM
    It is? It seemed to have some give when I used the 9930. Maybe the unit was really abused. The Torch screens definitely weren't glass (like you said).

How am I nitpicking? Glass is a much better material to use for a touchscreen. This is why all of the high end touchscreen devices use it. If plastic was better, they would be using that. But it isn't. It scratches much easier, it has give when you press on the screen and it overall just isn't as nice. It is pretty obvious.

Your comment was unnecessary. I'm not bashing the 9900, no need to defend it.
    You obviously have not used the 9900. I have the 9900 and I was playing with the HTC Sensation XE all day today. The Sensation XE has Gorilla Glass, and the feel was NO different from my 9900. I don't know for sure if the 9900 has a glass screen or not, but it has absolutely NO give. The touch experience is exactly the same as the Gorilla Glass. So yes you are nitpicking if you haven't tried it and are just going on the SPEC SHEET.

EDIT:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384744,00.asp
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...9900-a-655069/
    The 9900 HAS a glass screen. So you were right about the glass vs. plastic quality and I was right about the experience about the 9900 having the same touch experience as the glass screens as it is GLASS.
    Also it is a scratch resistant glass. Not Gorilla for sure, but glass nonetheless.

So we both stand corrected.
    Last edited by sam_b77; 12-11-11 at 01:51 PM.
    12-11-11 01:46 PM
    FWIW a touchscreen may still be Gorilla Glass without being labeled so. Some manufacturing contracts specify that the actual source not be released publicly.
    12-11-11 03:33 PM
    Ah. So RIM shouldn't even try to woo Apple users, since they'll never switch anyway. In light of recent sales data, this isn't what RIM wanted to hear.
    12-11-11 03:46 PM
    You obviously have not used the 9900. I have the 9900 and I was playing with the HTC Sensation XE all day today. The Sensation XE has Gorilla Glass, and the feel was NO different from my 9900. I don't know for sure if the 9900 has a glass screen or not, but it has absolutely NO give. The touch experience is exactly the same as the Gorilla Glass. So yes you are nitpicking if you haven't tried it and are just going on the SPEC SHEET.

EDIT:
    Hands On with the BlackBerry Bold 9900/9930 | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...9900-a-655069/
    The 9900 HAS a glass screen. So you were right about the glass vs. plastic quality and I was right about the experience about the 9900 having the same touch experience as the glass screens as it is GLASS.
    Also it is a scratch resistant glass. Not Gorilla for sure, but glass nonetheless.

So we both stand corrected.
    I said the unit I used had give to it. You are going to tell me, the person who experienced it that it didn't? Are you for real? You are going to tell me that I have never used the 9900? Are you God? Are you keeping tabs on my life and know what I do on a daily basis and what I have experienced? Your accusations are absurd.

Key word to my post was ABUSED. Maybe that's why it felt like plastic? Oh, that can't be it, I must not have used a device I was about to buy right there in the VZW store...

You don't need to correct me, someone already else did and that's why I said maybe the unit I used was abused so that's why it felt that way.

What spec sheet? This was from a PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. I said the one I used did.

Nitpicking...Glass is higher quality. It's nitpicking to want something of better quality on a $500+ device? Shouldn't be too hard to ask for when everyone else making high end phones are doing it.

Good to know the 9900 is glass though and the unit I happened to use was just a POS.
    12-11-11 05:34 PM
    My 9800 screen did not feel like glass. At least not the same way my 4S feels. Just my observations.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk
    12-11-11 07:02 PM
    My 9800 screen did not feel like glass. At least not the same way my 4S feels. Just my observations.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk
    9800 was definitely plastic.
    12-11-11 10:39 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD